Tavelling to Brazil with precious metals

Hello!

Does anybody know is it ok to travel to Brazil with some gold and/or silver coins? If yes, what are the limits and is it stated whether they should be in checked luggage or carry on?

Grateful for any information!

Hello!
Does anybody know is it ok to travel to Brazil with some gold and/or silver coins? If yes, what are the limits and is it stated whether they should be in checked luggage or carry on?

-@klausklar

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, NEVER EVER check ANYTHING valuable in your checked-in luggage, NEVER!!!!! I have been flying often, maybe too often, to numerous countries for over 55 years. My luggage has been lost, stolen, and destroyed by every airline you can name. Last month, Air Canada lost three of three suitcases flying between Seattle and GRU. When I did get them,, they were destroyed with some contents damaged and missing. United has been my worst, followed up closely with American Airlines for theft, lost, and destroyed luggage, but ASir Canda is moving right on up there in the list of horrible airlines.

Know what both the importation of precious metals rules are and what the penalties and taxes are, or can be, then make up your own mind on the risk. All of that said, I have never, knock on wood, been stopped entering Brasil at GRU or RIO or inspected.

Here is the official entry pamphlet from Brazil, with contact information for additional questions.  https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br … lderes.pdf

These days, you must consider that every behavior carries some significant risks, so you have to weigh the risks of one against the risks of the alternatives.

I have carried both unpermitted amounts of cash and coins in checked bags into B. Because so many people believe like Raypo, its pretty safe to do because its so unexpected. But I consider that there is risk of loss by the airlines and risk of discovery by customs officials. You just need to keep on getting up if you lose anything that way.

The legal limits are US $1,000 in total value of either one or the other.

But then , I have the risk that my property in the USA may be searched at any time by the police or FBI and then the same materials simply confiscated, so I still have the same danger if I leave the stuff there than if I bring it with me.

When you realize how much illegal drugs come into the USA, then you understand how big the holes are in enforcement. Brazil customs is mainly looking for new cell phones, cameras and computers, and guns, they dont expect other things.  I was stopped and checked one time bringing in a tenor saxophone, but when I showed them that I cold play Marrisa Monte, they let me bring it in.  Another time I brought in a large box of valuable exotic wood veneer, including Ipe and Brazillian Rosewood, and they said nothing.

One time I imported illegal drugs to the USA from Mexico....the US customs has a record of me bringing in penicillin and thyroid hormone without prescriptions, but they let me keep it.

You can get away with almost anything if it is unexpected. I have even mailed gold coins through the post office to foreign destinations successfully.

Of course, I dont do any of this anymore.....

@rraypo

Thank you for the reply!

The link doesn't seem to mention anything regarding metals. There is cash limit of BRL 10,000.00., but it doesn't say how they want to categorize bullion.

But are you saying that bringing them in as my personal belongings count as import and there is not a separate category for them?

@Inubia

Thank you for your input!

By any chance would you know where to get the source about the legal limit of 1000$?

Hello!

-@klausklar

There really is no limit to the maximum amount of currency you can take in or out that I am aware of. In the USA, if you take out more than US$10,000, (this is currency in current use, not antique), you must declare it, which is a simple form. Not declaring it and being caught carries enormous penalties. Not knowing who you are, or your level of experience in international traveling, or just with Brazil, PLEASE be careful. I have been held at gunpoint at a few airports around the world, and strip-searched three times, once leaving Mexico and twice entering the USA. Constitutional law becomes very vague within the boundaries of International airports as they are defined as "Border Crossings", especially the 4th Amendment, anyone can be detained and searched, without probable cause, and it is not funny. From U.S. Customs and Border Protection, "Money and Other Monetary Instruments" https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internationa … 0to%20CBP.

"Bringing money into Brazil

However, if a traveller carries a total of R$ 10.000,00 (ten thousand reais) or more, whether in cash, checks or traveller's cheques, and whether in reais, dollars or other foreign currencies, he/she is required to declare the amount upon entry in Brazil." https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … %20Brazil.

However, when entering Brazil, they have a strict limit of R$10,000, (which at today's exchange rate of b$5.23 to $1. US is only $1,912.05) without declaring it to Brazil. https://www.bcb.gov.br/en/financialstab … avelbrazil

Strangely, "raw gold" has zero import duty when being brought into Brazil, while raw silver has a 6% import duty. https://thebrazilbusiness.com/article/i … -to-brazil

I cannot find any specific information on gold and silver coins, vintage or current. This leads me to fear they would be subject to the interpretation of the agent working at the airport. They could see them as money, jewelry, raw precious metals, etc. You might use the contact information on the first form I sent a link to and send an anonymous email. If they reply with a positive answer or no answer at all, you have some written documentation. If they reply with a negative letter, you can simply choose to ignore it if you wish.

Again, please be careful. If your "stuff" should be pulled out going through airport screening, take a close look at everyone around you and make sure they do not follow you. Try to look normal, average, blending in at all of the airports. remember, the walls have eyes and bad people are much better at being bad than we are at being good.

@klausklar why would you even consider putting valuables in your checked bags?

@rraypo

does Brasil not update important info on their "official" gov websites when changes are made?

Example, I heard not too long ago tbey changed the amount of cash coming into Brasil to 10,000 USD equivalent, and NOT BRL anymore.

This would be more than 5x at the current exchange rate amount! Can someone confirm? It seems weird though that Brasil woukd use USD rate instead of using BRL rate.

And, i'm speaking of the "non" declaration amount.

@rraypo
does Brasil not update important info on their "official" gov websites when changes are made?
Example, I heard not too long ago tbey changed the amount of cash coming into Brasil to 10,000 USD equivalent, and NOT BRL anymore.
This would be more than 5x at the current exchange rate amount! Can someone confirm? It seems weird though that Brasil woukd use USD rate instead of using BRL rate.
-@ExpatUSATravels

I've checked numerous sites, not a one indicates any amount or currency higher than R$10,000. Why would Brazil be using US dollars anyway? Remember, people from other countries than the USA enter Brazil, and exchange rates change by the minute. For example, I am from Iceland, would my limit then be in Icelandic Krona and when would the rate of exchange be included, when I leave Iceland or when I enter Brazil? If you have a link for real information, and not hearsay, I would love to see it.

@rraypo

i posted the official links in a brand new post about USD and BRL.

enjoy reading.

Law # 14.286 / 21

I too could not find either until my lawyer showed it to me.

I was surprised it is so hard to find online.

03/23/23  @rraypo
-@ExpatUSATravels

They do, but mostly in Portuguese. 

This change only went into effect on December 30, 2022 and will eventually percolate into the foreign language versions.

@rraypo. It is correct:  the declaration limit was equalized with the US limit at US$10,000 as of last December 30.

@Inubia
Thank you for your input!

By any chance would you know where to get the source about the legal limit of 1000$?
-@klausklar

@klausklar.  See the third link from Demerest in ExpatUSATravel's first post in this thread:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1023389

It gives a good summary in English.

Thank you everyone!

I was aware of the new 10 000USD law for cash but It's difficult to find any information on precious metals and bullion. Will it fall under the cash limit or it's a separate matter.

I'll keep digging and perhaps send an email to the officials.

03/23/23 @klausklar. You've received a lot of good advice here, particularly about putting valuables in checked luggage. If you're like me and check your bags ASAP to be free of them, and often have to change flights, that gives the bad guys a lot of time and opportunity to scavenger hunt through your things.

I defer to rraypo on the subject of silver. I haven't researched it, but it would be consistent with Brazilian tributary thinking in general to treat silver as a commodity rather than as a special case.

Not so with gold, however. Technically, you're supposed to pre-register all gold carried into Brazil through the Receita Federal' e-DMOV system. Here's the regulation; you can run it through Google Translate to read it in English, but it still won't be very clear:

https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br … to-cambial

There's no question that unworked gold, including gold bars, MUST pass through the e-DMOV system, otherwise it's subject to confiscation and possible additional penalties. Gold in jewelry in reasonable quantities is treated as personal property. A few gold coins with a metal value well under US$10,000 will probably be treated as personal property as well.

As the metal value (NOT the face value) approaches US$10,000, the safest thing to do is probably to treat them the same way as currency, i.e., declare them as being over the US$10,000 declaration limit. This is what would be required in the US, which may be accepted as a precedent, even if the Customs Officer thinks that they should have been registered in advance.  It would be very prudent to have documented proof with you the the coins are actually yours and were obtained legally. An email to the nearest Brazilian Consulate before traveling to ask about the rules also wouldn't be a bad idea.

I haven't been able to find a tariff on gold at any value and I've looked hard. We know that there isn't one in the US or many other countries, but that's no guarantee that Brazil doesn't have one.

@klausklar for what its worth, I brought about 150 ounces into Brazil, from Canada through the USA. Entering was fine, no questions asked. After a couple years we went back to Canada, and upon leaving, we were stopped by the baggage people after noticing the silver in my carry on. The Federal Police came and had to investigate. Once I explained it was silver coins (at the time I had US eagles and CDN Maple Leafs) and they were special coins, they let me go. We flew back through Panama, they just asked what they were, and the USA customs scanned them to make sure they were silver coins. A little intense but no major problems. This could've been a one off, not sure

@abthree

I'm thinking about the same as you, to weigh all silver coins, bars etc.

If gold jewelry is treated as personal property then I doubt id worry about any jewelry, including diamond rings bracelets, etc.

I'm considering buying some old worn junk silver coins pre 1964, to travel with loose sprinkled throughout the bottom of my carry-on bag when flying from USA to Mexico / Brasil next time.

Some 0.25, 0.10, and 0.05 cent pieces that are 90% silver.

If i calcuate correctly i can bring about 20-30 oz silver old coins valued at around $600-$900 USD in silver weight.

Just in case silver shoots up to $200 per ounce one day if ever?

Or if need to melt down in emergeny if the govs get rid of cash.

Of course i will calculate the valueof their weight in silver and add that to the total of paper cash im carrying thru airports and never have to report it. I dont like carrying more than $3000 USD in cash anyway.

My goal is to buy some heavy gold chains counting as jewelry = o.oo for customs and RF in brasil.

It is perceived as contraband. You are asking to get nailed by customs.   

There is actually a TV Reality Show on Brazilian Customs Agents. 

May I suggest you watch it. It's called “Aeroporto – Área Restrita” .  Have fun

@klausklar Hi, did you find any information? I'd be eternally grateful