Menu
Expat.com

Opening first bank account - Any recommendations?

Last activity 05 October 2024 by martinsan

headshot

I have used Itau branch ATMs before.  The daily limit is low, I think 750BR for me.  Look for a machine with a symbol that matches one on the back of your debit card.

MikeInRio

Hi Team

Lots of info here - thankyou.

Does anyone know of a banking app (either online or bricks&mortar) that is bi-lingual (English)?  After spending lots of time in Rio surviving on Cirrus cash from Santander ATMs and an AUD$ credit card, I'm relocating permenantly ... but my Portuguese is basic ... and when it comes to money/banking I need to understand things PRECISELY!!

I have CPF and RNME.

Cheers.

kawakasbah

@MikeInRio if you are a tax resident in Brazil I would recommend Wise. You can open an account in several currencies including BRL. They will issue you a debit card that you can use pretty much everywhere. If you are not a tax resident in Brazil , open an account in Australia ( I am assuming you are an Aussie) and transfer money to it which you can then convert into reais and use the debit card to withdraw money in Brazil. Wise has the best currency conversion rates in the market. Wise has both the application in several languages depending where you live and a website . You can perform account operations in both.

I use wise . So far no issues. You will know the exchange  rate and fees before you make any transaction. Go online and read about wise. Lot of literature out there.

MikeInRio

@kawakasbah Thanks ... yes have discovered Wise and used it for TX rent payments to my landlord's Itau bank account.  I'll follow-up on the debit card option. Thanks again.

Gabriele Valloreia

@martinsan

Hi is everythng going with this bank account ? Are you still happy ? Thanks a lot

martinsan

I'm very happy with Iti. If you plan to use it just for payments, it's a good option: Debit card, PIX, mobile phone top ups, pay boletos, etc. I managed to open an account with just a CPF last year. I'm not sure if anything has changed since then...

Articles to help you in your expat project in Brazil

• Banking in Brazil
    Banking in Brazil

Bureaucracy is deeply rooted in Brazil, and this is never more evident than when dealing with banks. Be aware that ...

• Opening a Brazilian bank account
    Opening a Brazilian bank account

Bank Accounts – The Brazilian banking system is one of the most complex and bureaucratic in the civilized ...

• Using phones in Brazil
    Using phones in Brazil

It's much easier these days to get a cell phone in Brazil, and phones and calling plans are inexpensive. ...

• Accommodation in Brasilia
    Accommodation in Brasilia

Brasilia, the country's federal capital, is home to many highly-paid government employees and foreign ...

• Marriage in Brazil
    Marriage in Brazil

Brazil can be a romantic country, and you may want to marry here. Perhaps you even want to remain in Brazil ...

• Dating in Brazil
    Dating in Brazil

If you're single and ready to mingle, then you might want to try your hand at dating after you've settled ...

• Leisure activities in Brazil
    Leisure activities in Brazil

Have you always dreamed of dancing to the rhythm of a Brazilian carnival? Do you wish to enjoy the sand and the ...

• Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro
    Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro

With an official population of about seven million people, and almost twice that number in the metro area, Rio de ...

All of Brazil's guide articles