CHEFCHAOUEN -INFO

Hi there,
Iam very interested in coming to live in Morocco with my wife and 2 kids (7/3)
Iam interested in Chefchauen as our first choice - can anybody tell me what this town
is like? I do not want to live in a busy place. Also, are there any schools or would we have to homeschool. Also, how much is schooling if there is a school?
Could a family of 4 get by on 14 000 mad /month or even 10 000 mad/month. We are not big spenders, we would like to rent a furnished 2 bed villa or house and have enough left over
for food, home expenses etc.
Also, very importantly - will I be able to get a resident permit if I can show that money is coming into my account every month.
And lastly is Chefchauen a windy place - Iam not fond of gale force winds.
If there are any other magic little towns or cities worth living in(Morocco) please let me know - the best advantage with renting is that you can move around should the place become boring.
Looking forward to hearing from some good soul out there.....
Many Thanks
Anthony Colley

Hi Anthony !

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Armand,
where you based? have you been to Chefchaouen?
Could you give me any info?
cheers
Anthony

Hi Anthony!

I am in Mauritius but i'm sure members in your area will help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Anthony,
well to be honest you have choosen my favourite city in morocco.Chefchaouen is a very small quite and peaceful place (absolutely not windy)where all the citizens are very friendly.offcourse there's schools where for your kids...but unfortunately as you know the courses are made in arabic the native language of the country...so homeschool will be perfect for them!14000 MAD/month seems to be more than enough to live decently there,and you can apply for a resident permit but you need to have a job/mission...otherwise it will be more difficult...Chefchaouen is a very goood choice (its on the top 10 best destinations to visit in africa...)plus to that Tangiers is not that far from the city,tetouan too....if you need any other informations feel free to let me know and it will be my pleasure to give you as much details as you want!
for your information im living actually in casablanca and i'm 29!
Issam

Hi Issam,
Thanks for getting back regarding Chefchaouen - just a few more questions I have for you - are there any english/american schools in Chefchaouen? also, are there foreigners living there?
If I had only 12 000 Mad /month would that be OK for me and my family to live off. Also, I want to know if there are food /fruit markets in Chefchaouen where I can shop on a budget - are the restaurants fairly cheap/ are there street food markets etc. Iam really interested in the beauty of Chefchaouen and also the religious side to it - I believe one can hear the religious chanting from afar. Your feedback will be very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Anthony

Hi anthony,
12000MAD/Month will be enough but offcourse that will depend on the lifestyle that you will have!however i'm sorry there's no english/american school there...but you can find one on tangiers!Regarding food there's plenty of little markets,shops,...where you can find food at anytime of the day where you can shop on a budget offcourse!restaurants are not that expensive just to let you know that there isnont the most expensive city in morocco!
there's a lot of foreigners there most of them are spanish,but many tourists come from all over the world...believe me you will find a beauty in chefchaouen that you will not find anywhere else in morocco.and if youare interestedby the religious side you will be served i promess!Also there's a little village called akchor not that far from chefchaouen,you will find there waterfalls,and a wonderful nature...i'm sure you'll love it!
when are you planning to come?let me know if you need any other informations!
Regards
Issam

Hi Issam,
good to hear from you again and thank you for the superb information! Iam busy selling my house
in Cape Town, once sold we  will be 'scouting- out' Morocco to see whether we like the country.
I love the look of the Tetouan peninsula - looks like paradise! One more thing - how do the local Moroccan people feel about foreigners setting up businesses and living in their country?
Have a great day - god bless!

Anthony

that's my pleasure helping you get the maximum's information before you come to morocco!well locals are taking from a good side foreigners that come and set up a business here...it promotes the country's image,people are hired,they bring back the currency in the country,...anyway in our culture we're used welcoming people plus in chefchaouen there's many foreigners setting up businesses painters,hostels,restaurants,...so don't feel shy for this!wish you good luck for the sell of your house!
have a great we,peace!
Issam

Hi Anthony!

Just to add a bit, Chefchaouen is a very small town, 42,000 pop.  It's beautiful, but as Issam told you before, schooling might better be homeschooling.  There are school options in Tanger but it is not that close as to commute daily.

Angie

Thanks Angie,
Looking forward to visiting Chefchaouen and scouting around, we will most probably homeschool
How are you finding Morocco? Are you working there or do you have your own business?
Is a resident permit easy to obtain if you can show that there is always funds coming into the
bank account?

Cheers
Anthony

hi how are you i m mohamed el hilali from morocco i m ready to help you and guide you in morocco i have a diploma of touristy animation.this,is my email animation1982@gmail.com and my mobile phone number is 00212611808366
                                  regards mohamed

Hi I'm FARHi and I can Help you cuz I'm living in Chefchaouen.. I can send you some pics from here if you want ;) that's my e-mail [b]ph.yasser@hotmail.com
Good Luck