Life in Tamarindo

Hi my name is Adela Crossley, and I bought a home in Tamarindo, and will be moving from Canada to live in Costa Rica!

How is life in Tamarindo?

I will like to join an expat group

Hello johncrossley1,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Please note that I have created a new thread with your post for more visibility on the Costa Rica forum.

Will that be your first time in Costa Rica, precisely in Tamarindo?

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Good morning from Toronto!

No, I have been to Costa Rica several times and I love it.  So I decided to move permanently and I chose Tamarindo.  We bought a home there and we are pretty excited.  We will get our home in April or May 2023

@johncrossley1 Congratulations ! In what ownership structure ? There was a time in Tamarindo that the only type of ownership available was the indirect ownership of  'buying the shares of a corporation'...

We bought a home in the gated community of Senderos.  It's absolutely beautiful.

@johncrossley1 .......In Costa Rica there is different ways to own property....It sounds like you don't want to be clear on what you own.Not all gated communities are created equal.

Tamarindo reminded me of Florida. Lots of Americans in their 60s and young drunks in their early 20s. Didn't want to swim at the beach due to copious amounts of horse crap on the beach and floating in the water. People asking you if you want to buy weed or blow is common. Bad traffic and souvenir shops everywhere.

It all depends on what you're used to. I live in rural Nova Scotia and often have mile long beaches to myself so I prefer areas in rural areas. I like the area around Santa Teresa, Cabuya is nice.  From March 2022 to March 2023 I noticed a big difference further down the coast from Tamarindo. Samara was very different this year. Even the car rental guy in SJ mentioned pretty soon there will be more white people in CR than Ticos.

It's all what you're used to... if you lived in Toronto for years Tamarindo will feel like a remote village and you will probably be very happy there.

Ha, your comment about Toronto is right!!!  I do live in Toronto and have lived here far too long.

I chose Tamarindo because it has the buzz of energy with cafes, and amenities, I can walk and get a latte, my nails done, yoga, etc.

I love rural areas but for me, paradise needs to include a latte and massage when I feel like it!!