Your first days in your home in New Zealand

Hello everyone,

Do you remember the first time you set foot in New Zealand? One of your main concerns must have been the settling down process in your new home.

Share your experience and tell us what it was like to find your new home in New Zealand and how the moving-in process worked for you.

How did you find it (with an estate agency, your company, social networks, friends) and how long did it take?

At that time, what were the most common housing options available in your area ? How did you narrow down your search?

Did you opt for a temporary housing solution during your first days in New Zealand?

What are the main differences you noticed with your home country when it comes to the type of housing and formalities to settle in, etc.?

What struck you the most when you first moved in? Were there any challenges that you faced? If yes, how did you overcome them?

Is there any piece of advice that you would like to give to future expatriates to make their new place feel like home?

Thank you for your input.

Cheryl
Expat.com team

@Cheryl there's no point to beat about the bush. Fact is that there is a huge shortage of houses in NZ. If you plan to buy your own place, better bring $500,000+ with you and if you're lucky you may be able to buy in some remote place somewhere and don't expect Banks to help you out…. That situation is of course reflected in rental prices, so don't expect to find a very basic undesirable place for under $500/week.

No, New Zealand is no longer a paradise (for immigrants) and my strong advice (as a former immigrant myself) is, stay where you are, or try somewhere else, but NZ is a definite no go.1f44e.svg1f44e.svg1f44e.svg

Cheryl, my home last year cost 400000 without bank interest. If you will visit my town then I or someone of my family can meet you and show it. Good luck with your home :)

Hello everyone,

I am aware that the cost of living in NZ and especially in Auckland is not cheap considering the geographical location which is at the end of the world. We (family of 5) just got our resident visa approved (in principle) so our move from Germany to Auckland will soon become a reality.

However, as our motivation is not financial, such as improving income, but more lifestyle and education for our children, we will hopefully be able to sell our property in Germany first before moving to Auckland this year. With the money we expect to have a better deposit for the house and also be able to buy cars cash there. The money for the house will be deposited in EU banks until we find one in Auckland.

I guess with NZ transitional tax resident we don't have to pay tax on any overseas interest for the first 4 years, right?

In case we find a house we want before one year living in NZ, we (as resident visa holders) could still buy a house by applying for a consent from the Overseas Investment Office, right?

Thanks very much,

WW

Hi WW,

although I'm not an expert in this field, I don't think you'll have to worry about buying a house with OIO approval. The OIO only enters the picture if you plan to buy as an investor significant landmark type of property like cattle stations of hundreds or even thousands of hectares and the like, while not living here. There are no restrictions for buying a house in Auckland… just put the money on the the table and it's yours as long as you don't need bank help.

I'm not sure about your tax question, but if you'd like more expert advice from a friendly German lawyer, a friend, email me via ***.

Cheers,

Al.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct