Immigration with past self harm

Currently my girlfriend lives in the UK in Northern Ireland and I live in the US. After looking into US immigration policies, she cannot move to the US due to a mental disorder. I do not have any physical disorders and no harmful mental disorders. I did get sent to the mental hospital for no harmful mental breakdowns and "suicidal intentions" (said I would rather die than continue living with my father and stepmother and got admitted) but not self harm. None of my mental disorders are grounds for not being accepted into the UK though my record does state the past suicidal intentions. It is also stated in records that my stepmother contributed heavily to the decrease in my mental health. It is also known on record that she lied to the doctors to get me on meds since I wouldn't listen to her. Is there anyway I explain that during a medical check or get a doctor's note stating what my stepmother has done?

Hello RaphieOligee,

Welcome on board !

Sorry to hear about what you've been through.

I think that your best option is to contact an immigration lawyer so that he can take care of your move and formalities.

A professional would best know what to do.

Try to contact the embassy for more info : https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/ … washington

All the best

Bhavna

Currently my girlfriend lives in the UK in Northern Ireland and I live in the US. After looking into US immigration policies, she cannot move to the US due to a mental disorder. I do not have any physical disorders and no harmful mental disorders. I did get sent to the mental hospital for no harmful mental breakdowns and "suicidal intentions" (said I would rather die than continue living with my father and stepmother and got admitted) but not self harm. None of my mental disorders are grounds for not being accepted into the UK though my record does state the past suicidal intentions. It is also stated in records that my stepmother contributed heavily to the decrease in my mental health. It is also known on record that she lied to the doctors to get me on meds since I wouldn't listen to her. Is there anyway I explain that during a medical check or get a doctor's note stating what my stepmother has done?
-@RaphieOligee

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't think Mental Health issues alone are an issue with Immigration into the UK.  You may want to consider whether you will be able to get the help you need where your girlfriend lives; these link will take you to the Northern Ireland Government website on this subject.  You may want to consider what you say to a future employer as significant gaps in your CV may lead to questions you may not want to discuss with a stranger.

However, you haven't mentioned anything about your relationship with your girlfriend and based on what you have said, it doesn't sound like you will qualify for a Family Visa; there is a UK Government website that deals with Family Visas, this link will take you straight to it.  One of the requirements is to either be in a Marriage/partnership together or have physically lived together for 2 years before applying.  They don't make any derogations for mental health reasons, so I would keep any disclosures between yourself and your doctor.

Your US health records will not be available to the UK Health Authorities, however, it may be helpful to bring a letter from your current doctor explaining the circumstances, you can give this to your UK General Practitioner so he can best advise you.

Whatever, I wish you the best of luck.

Cynic

Expat Team

yes, report them to the Medical Authorities