Where should I buy a property in southern Spain to spend the winter

Hi everyone, I am thinking  seriously about buying a house/ bungalow/apartment somewhere in southern Spain to spend the winter away from Northern Ireland. I know little about Spain and would really welcome any advice about where is a good area to buy a reasonably priced property, possibly close to the sea and a garden would be great. I really do wish to steer clear of buying in a huge apartment block so I realise I'm narrowing my options somewhat. Has anyone any good ideas of a nice area to buy and of good local estate agents. Thank you very much in advance, May

@Maisie1

Welcome to the expat.com forum, and good luck with your potential move to Sunny Spain!

Lots of very nice areas all along the coasts, you're spoiled for choice really. Our holiday apartment is near Alicante, and we like the area very much. Even if you don't buy via them, Idealista is a great option for a bit of desk research. They have loads of online listings all over Spain, and you'll quickly get a very good idea of what kinds of properties are available in your favourite areas, within your budget.

Thank you Gwynj, allcomments greatly appreciated

@Maisie1 I would recommend you look around the Mojacar area of Almeria. There are no giant apartment blocks here at all. It's so much less busy than either the Costa Del Sol or the Costa Blanca and property is plentiful and cheap. A few miles inland is lovely too - I've written more about the area on our website [link moderated] if you want to read more. Good luck. Andrew

@andrew59

Quite right! There are lots of very nice places a little inland too, and they're definitely much less touristy and less expensive than the well-known resort options. Our place is actually in Elche, which is Alicante's neighbour, and maybe 15 km to several very pretty beaches (and about the same to Alicante-Elche Airport, which has both Wizzair and Ryanair flights). Elche is UNESCO-listed for its palm groves, and it's a delightful small Spanish city. We've got all the services and amenities nearby, along with a lovely walking trail (my daily walk is along the RIo Vinalopo to the beautiful El Palmerar, the Parc Municipal). And the airport, beaches, and Bright Lights of Alicante are nearby when we want a change of scene.

Of course, like many, we started our property hunt right on the coast (Barcelona, Tarragona, Valencia, Alicante) so this was not the location we expected (indeed, we'd never even heard of Elche). But we found a large apartment, in an upscale part of the city, within walking distance of everything we need on a daily basis. And it cost a fraction of the price of apartments in high-rise blocks on nice Alicante beaches. ("A fraction", really? Older - but nicely renovated - apartments like ours are selling for around 100k euros now, whereas something similar in/near Playa de San Juan can be 400k-500k, or more!)

@andrew59

Hello Andrew, I know someone who is selling a 3 bedroom with a terrace in Loja in Granada province. Loja is a medium size village 55 min by car from Granada city, Malaga city, Malaga airport, Granada airport, and the coast.

You can contact Paul ***(Bristol area) and ask him about more information ***

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey Luna49,

Please use the private messaging system to share such information, as sharing contact details on the forum is not permitted for security reasons.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl

Thank you for telling me !

I just sent it by private message

Take care

Hi, apart from the tax and fees when you first buy a property in Spain, what are the actual monthly or yearly fees that you have to pay continuously if you own a property in Spain, I know like here in the UK, when you by an apartment in a block, you have to pay service charge every month for the up keep. What would I be looking at paying monthly or yearly even when not living there and using as a holiday home only, e.g 2 bed no more than £100.000.