The importance of local language in Hungary

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Hungary.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Hungary? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Hungary?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

I used to think I could slide by without knowing much Hungarian but that isn't true.

I've been exposed to the language for more then 50 years but while living in the US didn't wish to speak it. Was too busy making a buck to have extra time to learn.It was more important for my husband to improve his English then for me to learn a language when I never planned on living in Hungary.

Most of the people I knew in the US who spoke Hungarian were single men and as a married women I had little to no interest in getting that personal with our associates.

Most were trying to learn English anyways.

Not to be rude but the sound of Hungarian is not pleasing to my hear. I wish it was Italian or French or even Spanish.Those sound smoother on the ear.

When we first decided to move to Hungary I suppose my ego got the better of me plus my husband wasn't that encouraging for me to learn it.

I was too busy to take the time to practice it.

I wasn't overly interesting in knowing our neighbors and as my husband is a perfectionist with his Hungarian he didn't want me to pick up slang words or sound like a 3 year old.

He said he was my translator.

Fine with me, lazy and living in the city it really wasn't needed much for me to speak to anyone.

I get by rather well with shopping but sometimes an item will pop up that I have no idea what it's for, just decided I don't need it then.

I used to go places by myself like the gym, caught on to the lanauge so well that no one knew I didn't understand, I was a good copy-cat in classes.

Now however when I see my husband paying the bills online and hearing the operator on the other end, I am lost.

I was in hospital awhile ago and none of the staff spoke any English, only my doctor did.

Not a great feeling to not know what's going on around you when your vulnerable.

My experience recently was seeing a doctor for a check up and them not speaking a word of English. Not exactly comfortable.

I am realizing it is impotant to know some basic Hungarian but even so when life gets real, you need more then just basic skills.

Our local medical center now has a sign at reception that you need to bring in a Hungarian speaker with you to check in .

If one is just casually shopping, eating out and not ding naything serious they can get by without language skills in larger cities.

When you find yourself in a real serious situation that's another matter.

I have books, tapes and a in house native speaker with me but too much time has passed and I think I'd find it easier to just leave then learn.

It's true , you can't teach and old dog new tricks.

My husband again, would rather I don't speak it then to butcher the language up with wrong expressions and wrong prefex's. He doesn't wish me to sound like a hillbilly.

People don't take you seriously if you don't speak their language. It's like you are a none person.

If something should happen to him I guess I'm up the creek without a paddle.

I thing we have found to be fact is if you speak anything but Hungarian 9 times out of 10 you are going to get overcharged.

If you can't see a gov. doctor when entitled for national health then a private doctor or dentist who speaks English or another language is going to charge extra for their services.

Marilyn is so right 💯💯💯💯💯

I had zero exposure to Hungarian before moving to Budapest and I also thought I could "wing it."  I'd lived in a few other places in Europe without speaking the lingo at all, and had always gotten by in English.

That is NOT going to work in Budapest, unless you're here as a tourist or doing "touristy" things.  You will NOT get by or, if you do, it's going to be extremely time-consuming and frustrating, and that's if you don't experience unexpected problems: a medical emergency, a water leak, getting lost, etc.

It's kinda ironic: On the one hand, you will find even hobos hitting you up for money in perfect English; on the other hand, you will be in a big box store without a single assistant being able to string an English sentence together.  DeepL and Google Translate are super helpful but can only get you so far.

One point I have to take issue with in Marilyn's post is her husband's attitude.  As a former English teacher, with due respect, his approach is TOTALLY wrong, not to use much harsher words.  DO try to speak, anywhere and everywhere you can.  Don't worry about mistakes: The primary purpose of language is communication, not impressing people.  Your objective is to make yourself understood so as to accomplish a purpose.  After all, would any of us think that someone who is clearly a nonnative English speaker and says "I goed to shop yesterday" is a "hillbilly"!?!  Come on now...

I agree with mikeyls.

The thing is as my husband is a born and raised Hungarian he really does express the deep down ugly undercurrent of what probalby 90% of the locals think when a outsiders tries to speak Hungarian.

He is really trying to spare me.

I know my HU MIL never could understand why I didn't know what she was saying during our short term 6 weeks visits to Hungary.

For some lame reason she thought I could or would just pick it up overnight.

She even asked my husband once why he married an American who couldn't speak Hungarian.

50 years later, the last laugh is on her.

Just a general sort of ,"red neck" attitude is what I think is going on.

Not everyone thinks that way but more then we'd care to actually know about.

Our son was married to a Hungarian women and she often told me what people were thinking. Tip too much and you are a fool and tip to little and you are a jerk.

It seems outsiders never can catch a break.

My husband builds me up saying people envy me for being different and not having to follow the rules.

IDK.

Anywhere we go I keep quiet unless I don't care about being overcharged.

I'm am far too old now to learn fluent Hungarian unless I get a brain transplant.

My HU husband has experienced in the past being felt a fool in the US by making grammer mistakes. Usually by low life shopkeeprs or none important idiots but it stuck with him all these many decades.

My son's ex GF from Japan often was scammed in the US by auto repair shops .Seems it is human nature to think people are dumb if they don't speak your language. I probably in the past did that with Mexican people in the US. Tried but gave up on them.Just didn't have the time to bother with them.

He is trying to spare my feelings and never wishes anyone to make a ,"joke" as they say here with me.

I know a guy from OZ who took advantage of learning Hungarian through some sort of free HU gov. program and he gets by fine. He also is very friendly, open, gay and works with the public.

His native language is Spanish even if he is from Australia.

Perhaps people are more liberal with others who speak several other languages?

For many reasons I feel some people either like Americans or really dislike them from the get go.

@Marilyn Tassy I really feel with you. My wife (born Hungarian with Austrian passport) is a language talent and I am not. Despite being exposed to Hungarian for many years I have never learnt the language properly. I do understand the concept and I agree that the grammar is not that complicated, but it is just so different for me. My pronunciation of the little I know is perfect, which always brings me into trouble because of how little the little is. If I was living in Hungary I think I would move to a place near the Austrian border where everybody is bilingual. OR I would seriously try to learn.

The situatuon in Portugal is much easier, because there you can really get by with English and a little Portuguese, when you stay away from the real countryside.

Going back to the initial question, is local language needed (or not), in my view NOT, you can connect with local people and expats alike with other languages (In Hungary notably with German (but English from time to time is also fine)).

Really I am too old to learn a new language (this applies to Hungary and Turkey (where I now live).

As for Hungary, I play chess and me and my wife were very much welcomed, German/English and sign language more then sufficient.

Shops and restaurants accomodate as well.

I rarely somebody call a friend, but more (perhaps too much) acquintances.

@cdw057 As a side note, people (in any case on surface) are more friendly and hospital than they are in Hungary, often we decline (not polite, but just wanting to avoid too close connections)

We are always treated very well (also meeting on the street) by staff of restaurants, markets, hairdressers etc (than again they make money out of us). I have to say very difficult to recognize.

-@Marilyn Tassy

To speaking Hungarian not always that neccesary.

But your husband right in some sense:

Often to speak a few worlds is more harmful than none.

1. Easy example: XY ask a short question in Hungarian (perfectly, no mistake, or sign it is secondary/ etc language), and only after the several sentence answer turns out: understand nothing from the answer. At any busy place that have over 50% of dismiss chance.
  2. It is easy to make mistakes. Just a one character difference can fully change the meaning, also bad expression. Potentionally dangerous.

As for regular it is more about attitude.

As for baseline the first question should be:

"Do you speak XY (language)?"

Especially if the person notices that is a secondary for XY as well then most likely tries to communicate (even if in the end does with hands/ pointing).

Example: Turkish guy tries to communicate in German.

But if someone tries his/ her mother tongue with a demand-like: you should understand (often happens), then:

For example a German tries German (without prior asking) probably gets it, like: RAUS. Or who tries English gets a: fuck off. 

But who have a normal attitude usually either can communicate directly, or (in larger places) they find someone who can.

As for price tag:

Exist one way or another.

Who have a direct interest to sell something overpriced, like Váci str. (or taxi driver): will do.

Who don't have direct sales interest: either employer pays for that as well (fine wage/ language benefit) - or employee will not contribute, especially if that is not a secondary language. So a Yoruba have better chance than someone from for example Canada if tries English.

Official business different: there simply not always exist multilingual staff.

Or even for professional translators often difficult:

Like in US-ENG called: Tax report

Hungarian: Tax CONFESSION -> alias: confess your crimes what you did not want to

Also points to a very different mentality.

In short:

In any business who uses a secondary (third/ etc) language have better odds.

Needs to ask prior that XY language can be used or not.

That's pretty much why my husband says it is a waste of time for me to not at this late date try to learn much more Hungarian.

I really can sort of understand many conversations but can't answer in Hungarian.

I feel like a small child who listens and learns before trying to form words.

My father didn't speak any English when he arrived in the US, think he was around age 7.

All the children who were in his class also didn't speak English and many were from all different countires.

They leanred together and picked up some words from each other in their different native languages as well.

My grandparents barely spoke any English and one of them was born in the US.

My other grandfather was born in the US also but German was the main language spoke in their home.

Even so, we knew what they wanted or rather demaded from us as children.

One thing that really bothered me once was we had people over our home. They were from Hungary, friends of friends.

I went out of my way to try and communicate with them in my very broken Hungarian and used hand signals etc. This seemed to go one for a long while.

Then they let on that they spoke English!

I was a bit put out of joint, how rude of them.

It's one thing to be shy and another to let someone make a fool of themselves.

After a few experiences like that, I just gave up on Hungarian. I thought I'm not really interested in knowing people who I don't really even like that much.

I've had a couple of dumb experiences in Hungary trying to speak in Hungarian.

I used to go to a ladies only gym near our flat.

They had an elderly women working the desk.

All the younger people would just say,Szia to each other when they left the gym.

I said szia to a few ladies and looked at the elderly lady and without thinking said szia to her as well. She was just an employee there but still got all in a huff. I caught myself and said good-bye to her in a more formal way but good grief,WTH did she expect, she knew full well I was American and not a native speaker.

Another time many years ago when we first moved here we were eating in a resturant. I asked the waiter for some salt since his table had none. He acted like I asked for his blood and had a stupid smirk on his face because I made a grammer mistake. My husband said to forget him as he was a jerk . I may of told my husband to not tip him after that but not sure, my husband would of tipped no matter.

I don't have time in life to kiss bottoms or make sure I have perfect grammer.

Not interested now in learning.

From what my husband tells me, he is jealous because I usually don't know what stupid conversations are going on around me.

That's pretty much why my husband says it is a waste of time for me to not at this late date try to learn much more Hungarian.
I really can sort of understand many conversations but can't answer in Hungarian.
From what my husband tells me, he is jealous because I usually don't know what stupid conversations are going on around me.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I'm somewhat in the same position.  On the other hand, I suppose I could take on learning Hungarian as a kind of project for after retirement and during the winter months.  Keep the brain cells ticking over.  On the other hand I've got a lot of other stuff to do - mainly gardening and landscaping.  Our professional landscapers have finished all current work now so it's down to Mrs F and I to get on with our part of it.  I've also got plans to renovate our shed - new roof, rejig the electricity, do the plumbing etc.  Don't need Hungarian for that.

Mrs F and the senior Fluffyette also tell me that I don't want to know what nonsense is being discussed on the bus, supermarkets and in the street. 

My husband is sometimes really surprised on buses and trains when he hears the young Hungarian women speaking.

They were different when he was a young man. Now they speak as rough house as a young hoodlum.

He sometimes tells me what people are saying on the st. Of course as most humans do, it's all about them and who did what to them or how insulted they were etc.

I suppose we all tend to see ourselves as the center of the universe?

I had to try and comfort my friend in AZ just now.

I waited until she messaged me. I had really no words for her even in English.

She an dher husband had to have 2 vets come to their home, an hour drive from the closest town to put their dog down.

Sad day for them.

Good news, my husband finally got the new bathrom sink installed!!!

4 long days!!

We thought it would be a few hurs work only!

Usually ow it goes.

We raised the sink higher and none of the drains were long enough.

He fianlly figured out a new way to make sure it wouldn't leak.

Hopefully that is!!

Done with household projects for now!

That about wore us out.

All the younger people would just say,Szia to each other when they left the gym.
I said szia to a few ladies and looked at the elderly lady and without thinking said szia to her as well. She was just an employee there but still got all in a huff. I caught myself and said good-bye to her in a more formal way but good grief,WTH did she expect, she knew full well I was American and not a native speaker.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Yeah that is the old culture - well actually when culture existed in the past.

There are still old ladies (or men) who did grow up in a more polite and formal world where greetings also were very different.

For such things are not even equilevent in English also we partly inherited those formalities from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, and court mores.

To say "szia" for an old lady (without prior agreement) can be just as offensive like if you would say something like:

• Hey dude, see you next day.

So very inpolite/ rude, lack of respect, or even offensive. Also very close - like for someone who are close friend for - without prior permission.

Mostly old culture/ morals and etiquette.

But among old folks common still. In reality it was beaten inside for many (like teachers with rulers and wands when they were in school age).

Also there are a few traditionalist who don't use similarly close language even with parents.

So for example:

• Hi mom! - not polite/ innaporiate
  • Have a nice day my lady-mother. - old tradition/ etiquette

My husband is sometimes really surprised on buses and trains when he hears the young Hungarian women speaking.
They were different when he was a young man. Now they speak as rough house as a young hoodlum.

-@Marilyn Tassy

My guess that he is also over 60, or more.

Yes times were very different, in his times such "speaking" were considered as cc. some sort of uneducated, underclass, untouchable for normal folks, except in nightlife.

US English equivalent:

"She belongs to the streets"

To say "szia" for an old lady (without prior agreement) can be just as offensive like if you would say something like:
Hey dude, see you next day.
So very inpolite/ rude, lack of respect, or even offensive. Also very close - like for someone who are close friend for - without prior permission.

Mostly old culture/ morals and etiquette.
But among old folks common still. In reality it was beaten inside for many (like teachers with rulers and wands when they were in school age).

Also there are a few traditionalist who don't use similarly close language even with parents.
So for example:
Hi mom! - not polite/ innaporiate
Have a nice day my lady-mother. - old tradition/ etiquette
-@sjbabilon5

Yes, happens here too in these forums.  One of the previous posters got the huff when I called his father Daddio.    I often refer to my Dad as Daddio when talking to my siblings. If I said Daddio to him, he'd just smile.  No-one cares really in the UK.  It's how you say it, not what you say.

One thing which is peculiarly British is referring to your friends using insults.  So if I saw a friend, I might say, "Hey Dude, how have you been you old ba**ard?".  And the answer might, be, " Fine a**hole".   And everyone is the best of friends. Calling each other names is endearment. I think other cultures might be reaching for their guns or clubs or lawsuits.

Our neighbours vary.  The one opposite (maybe late 70s) is "Szia" but the one at the side is very "Jo napot kivanok" (probably past 80). 

We're Szia with everyone generally, even with the kids friends. Always first names. I don't understand the nuances of what works with people but Mrs F usually lets me know as part of the protocol.

Our neighbours vary. The one opposite (maybe late 70s) is "Szia" but the one at the side is very "Jo napot kivanok" (probably past 80).

We're Szia with everyone generally, even with the kids friends. Always first names. I don't understand the nuances of what works with people but Mrs F usually lets me know as part of the protocol.
-@fluffy2560

I always use "Jo napot kivanok" with the neighbours or with older ladies "csokolom" (?). However, I hear "szia" and "sziastok" a lot.

In my own defense, when I said Szia to that older lady, about 10 people at once were saying szia to each other. I caught myself after her face dropped and said , Csokolon or whatever, I kiss your hand means.

Haven't used that term in ages since our 80 something year old neighbor passed.

Her face lite up after I self corrected.

Whatever... Now at age 68 and 75, we see younger people don't cut any slack for anyone. They just about plow you over without a second care, let alone speak to yu in a formal fashion.

IDK, when their times comes it's going to be hades on earth. That's if they life that long .

Just today in fact as we walked t a shop there was a bar located on the corner. Way to narrow f a sidewalk to use half the space for a table just there in the way.

A group f drunk, loud German ,"dudes" were haivng drinks, good for them , have fun while ya can.

Anyways one of their party was sitting with his legs sticking out on the walkway just as the waitress was brining out a tray of drinks to them. I stopped cold in my tracks and said to the guy excuse me. He made some grumbling noise as I walk by. n our way out of the store I walked past him again, this time he had his legs under him( someone else probably called him out) I looked hard at him and was ready to tell him off but he shyed away... Probably lost in a drunken stupper by then.

I was thinking though, no respect for the elderly no matter if they were locals or whoever they were.

No matter, like I said, they are going to have a hard fall if they make it that far.

In the US the closer one is to their friends , the more they call them names.

My ex SIL was named Felica, we called her Flee, my sister was,"the dog" I was called Mare, had that nickname from my sister since forever.She really was the only person allowed to call me Mare though.

My husband's Hungarian friend had hard core insane names for each other that most people would take offense about.

One was called, Rabbit because he had a funny way of twitching his face, another was called Raisin, a overweight gay guy they knew Another just plain old Painter. My husband has a nickanme that has stuck with him from childhood, Picu, it means little one, his siter gave him that name.

Hungarians tend to love giving nicknames to people they like.

Nowdays I just say hello or good-bye in English. I no longer really care what anyone thinks.

As a young child, I kid you not, when we visited my Ruysn grandparents we had to raise our hand to speak. Often they paid little mind to us waving our hands in the air. It only got iffy when we were raising it to be allowed to get up and use the restroom.

On the city st. when my mother was walking with me, she would grab me hard and sometimes even pull my ear 25 feet away from an elderly person about to pass by us. Nowdays, your lucky if they even look at you twice let alone cut you some slack.

In my own defense, when I said Szia to that older lady, about 10 people at once were saying szia to each other. I caught myself after her face dropped and said , Csokolon or whatever, I kiss your hand means.
Haven't used that term in ages since our 80 something year old neighbor passed.
Her face lite up after I self corrected.
Whatever... Now at age 68 and 75, we see younger people don't cut any slack for anyone. They just about plow you over without a second care, let alone speak to yu in a formal fashion.
IDK, when their times comes it's going to be hades on earth. That's if they life that long .
Just today in fact as we walked t a shop there was a bar located on the corner. Way to narrow f a sidewalk to use half the space for a table just there in the way.
A group f drunk, loud German ,"dudes" were haivng drinks, good for them , have fun while ya can.
Anyways one of their party was sitting with his legs sticking out on the walkway just as the waitress was brining out a tray of drinks to them. I stopped cold in my tracks and said to the guy excuse me. He made some grumbling noise as I walk by. n our way out of the store I walked past him again, this time he had his legs under him( someone else probably called him out) I looked hard at him and was ready to tell him off but he shyed away... Probably lost in a drunken stupper by then.
I was thinking though, no respect for the elderly no matter if they were locals or whoever they were.
No matter, like I said, they are going to have a hard fall if they make it that far.
In the US the closer one is to their friends , the more they call them names.
My ex SIL was named Felica, we called her Flee, my sister was,"the dog" I was called Mare, had that nickname from my sister since forever.She really was the only person allowed to call me Mare though.
My husband's Hungarian friend had hard core insane names for each other that most people would take offense about.
One was called, Rabbit because he had a funny way of twitching his face, another was called Raisin, a overweight gay guy they knew Another just plain old Painter. My husband has a nickanme that has stuck with him from childhood, Picu, it means little one, his siter gave him that name.
Hungarians tend to love giving nicknames to people they like.
Nowdays I just say hello or good-bye in English. I no longer really care what anyone thinks.
As a young child, I kid you not, when we visited my Ruysn grandparents we had to raise our hand to speak. Often they paid little mind to us waving our hands in the air. It only got iffy when we were raising it to be allowed to get up and use the restroom.
On the city st. when my mother was walking with me, she would grab me hard and sometimes even pull my ear 25 feet away from an elderly person about to pass by us. Nowdays, your lucky if they even look at you twice let alone cut you some slack.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I'm 62 as I may have mentioned but I don't really think of myself as being in any way old.    But I must look somewhat leathered as I was on a bus in Italy and some people were offering me their seats!   I thought, really?  Do I look that old?

As for the Csokolom, I haven't heard that one for ages but I don't really involve myself with other people or locals very much. I actually thought possibly the phrase had fallen out of fashion. 

I don't got anywhere where there are people I don't know so I'm not really stuck in the politeness problem. I mostly do stuff  locally and go between my house, BUD airport and Balaton with random trips to Vienna. 

I'm 62 as I may have mentioned but I don't really think of myself as being in any way old.  But I must look somewhat leathered as I was on a bus in Italy and some people were offering me their seats!  I thought, really? Do I look that old?

-@fluffy2560

So funny, because I think like you as well (at age 62). But I have a neighbor that is over 80 and not very healthy who is in my opinion delusional, because he seems to be making long term plans and doesn't want to let go of his Shelby (which he cannot drive anymore because of weak legs).

So funny, because I think like you as well (at age 62). But I have a neighbor that is over 80 and not very healthy who is in my opinion delusional, because he seems to be making long term plans and doesn't want to let go of his Shelby (which he cannot drive anymore because of weak legs).
-@nz7521137

I've got a potential OT (Old Timer) as well and even if I couldn't drive it due to dodgy legs/hips, I'd probably still look admiringly at it, sit in it, run the engine, wash it, pump up the tyres etc. 

Maybe I could get one of the kids to drive it under supervision.

Hard to let go.

Age does tend to sneak up on you.

My husband loves telling people how old I am! Not bragging but eveyone thinks I'm allot younger then I am . I can hardly stand looking at my own relection these days.

Maybe it's because I still have almost all my own teeth?The way I dress or my attitude. I try to walk with purpose and hold my head up.

No one offeres me a seat unless I bring a cane with me and stand close to them.

I want my perks of old age!!

Sometimes I don't need a cane because of my dodgy knees and ther times I must bring it.

I notice if I don't slepp enough, eat too much sugar etc. or get upset over things, my knees act up more.

Mental or physical?

Perhaps a bit of both.

I still feel like I'm 14 inside, think everyone feels that way though, some people still act that age at least.

One thing which is peculiarly British is referring to your friends using insults. So if I saw a friend, I might say, "Hey Dude, how have you been you old ba**ard?". And the answer might, be, " Fine a**hole".  And everyone is the best of friends. Calling each other names is endearment. I think other cultures might be reaching for their guns or clubs or lawsuits.

Our neighbours vary. The one opposite (maybe late 70s) is "Szia" but the one at the side is very "Jo napot kivanok" (probably past 80).

-@fluffy2560

I think that is quite international and depends only on the level of friendship/ close connection.

At here between comrades we also use similar language, like: "Hey dick, move your ass here, beer gets hot." But only when we had a history and shared the old situations and fights, so only among veterans, outsiders better to not try anything like that.

Yes folks/ expectations vary:

I also had a formal co-worker, and she explicitly demanded that all people should use close languagew with her, like: "Szia" -> "I am not so old." - said the 65 years old - that was funny. And she kept this still over 70.

Some wanna be treated as younger than they are, or just seen as being modern.

""Jo napot kivanok""

There is one level up:

"Csókolom XY Néni!"

As for the Csokolom, I haven't heard that one for ages but I don't really involve myself with other people or locals very much. I actually thought possibly the phrase had fallen out of fashion.

-@fluffy2560

Definitelly fallen out from use.

Even some 25-30 years ago get reduced to just kids towards women, especially old or teachers/ educators/ in orphanages.

But for example a teen boy regulary greet me with: Csókolom.

In very old tradition that was not just acceptable but polite towards men as well, and he was educated by his grandma, so that is the reason behind that. But in present days men probably react with clap on face for such, as: "Are you gay or something - how dare you."

Times change. 

I still feel like I'm 14 inside, think everyone feels that way though, some people still act that age at least.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I asked my Dad hold he felt inside and he said about 35. 

A golden age.

Old enough for some wisdom, young enough to be Indiana Jones.

-@fluffy2560

Definitelly fallen out from use.
Even some 25-30 years ago get reduced to just kids towards women, especially old or teachers/ educators/ in orphanages.

But for example a teen boy regulary greet me with: Csókolom.
In very old tradition that was not just acceptable but polite towards men as well, and he was educated by his grandma, so that is the reason behind that. But in present days men probably react with clap on face for such, as: "Are you gay or something - how dare you."
Times change.
-@sjbabilon5

I didn't know it was used on men as well.  I've been asleep at the wheel.   

Hungarian men should get over their OV cum Fidesz propaganda and defensiveness of being thought gay.  It could be a compliment!

Anyone gay usually has accurate gaydar and can easily tell who is gay, straight or bi.

And, it's no secret, I can tell already tell you OV is no-one's pin up - gay or otherwise. Except Trump. Or Putin. Or Lukashenko.  Etc.

Hungarian men should get over their OV cum Fidesz propaganda and defensiveness of being thought gay. It could be a compliment!

Anyone gay usually has accurate gaydar and can easily tell who is gay, straight or bi.

And, it's no secret, I can tell already tell you OV is no-one's pin up - gay or otherwise. Except Trump. Or Putin. Or Lukashenko. Etc.
-@fluffy2560

Aside from the language aspect of "csokolom", which I sometimes use with older ladies, I think that sexual preferences are a very private matter and are nothing to be proud or ashamed of. I am also not a fan of too open display of such preferences in public (maybe a result of living for years in the MENA region).

Considering that nations want to be able to survive in the long run I understand that they have a preference for M-F relationships and reproduction, which is fortunately still the majority to my knowledge.

Hello everyone,

Please note that some off-topic posts were removed from this thread. You may find them here :

Thinking of moving soon

and here :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 06#5711742

Please let us discuss only about The Importance of local language in Hungary on this thread.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna