Revisiting topic : moving to Istanbul on my salary (post election)

I posted about this over a month ago so I apologize for a bit of a repeat post. I was planning on coming to Istanbul on a gross salary of 50,000 from the end of the August. This sounded fairly doable by most people's standards (as a single guy). However, with the election being over, there now seems to be more uncertainty as to where the economical conditions will go from here, I am wondering if anyone's views have changed.

I might be reading too much on Reddit - there tends to be a fair bit of a negative lean there (rightfully so in some cases I'm sure) particiularly on the Turkey form. It really does make me question a move, and whether or not it would be silly for me to do so at this point.

I do understand that online forums often tend to lean more on the negative than positive side, so I'm not sure how much of this is fear mongering. Regardless though, I do understand that there is a lot of disappointment for some people, and perhaps the overall mood there isn't great (which perhaps could be another factor).

In any case, I would really appreciate any input! Thanks : )

@Sudz Hello,

As a lawyer living in Turkey and a citizen of this country, I must say that the future of the Turkish economy is uncertain. I perceive the amount you specified as a reasonable fee for you. Of course, if these increases are implemented, it will make an average standard of living possible.

Of course, it's natural to have reservations. I understand and accept this very well. You can share with me more questions and wonders on this subject. ***

Kind regards

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I posted about this over a month ago so I apologize for a bit of a repeat post. I was planning on coming to Istanbul on a gross salary of 50,000 from the end of the August. This sounded fairly doable by most people's standards (as a single guy). However, with the election being over, there now seems to be more uncertainty as to where the economical conditions will go from here, I am wondering if anyone's views have changed.
I might be reading too much on Reddit - there tends to be a fair bit of a negative lean there (rightfully so in some cases I'm sure) particiularly on the Turkey form. It really does make me question a move, and whether or not it would be silly for me to do so at this point.

I do understand that online forums often tend to lean more on the negative than positive side, so I'm not sure how much of this is fear mongering. Regardless though, I do understand that there is a lot of disappointment for some people, and perhaps the overall mood there isn't great (which perhaps could be another factor).

In any case, I would really appreciate any input! Thanks : )
-@Sudz

When I first came to Turkey the Turkish liara was 8 TL for 1 USD. When I left Turkey it was 18.90 TL for 1 USD. That was only a year and a half later. Now 6 months after leaving Turkey it is now 23.66 TL for 1 USD.

That means in 2 years it has gone from 8 TL to 23.66 TL for 1 USD. Take that into consideration what the Turkish Liara may be in the next two years after you take your job. Right now you would be making 2,113 USD before taxes. If in lets say one year it goes to 30 TL for 1 USD. Your wage will only be 1,666 USD. And it is possible that it could happen. There is no guarantee that the Turkish economy will get better.

Second you have to take into account. You won't get Retirment in Turkey and even if you do the amount they pay you is very low compared to Canada. Do you have a plan to send your money back to Canada and to pay into Retirment accounts? Or to pay into old age security in Canada?

Who is going to fund a 401k or Canadian equivalent? Because you won't get that from Turkey.

If you have no better options in Canada, and this is your best option then take it. But if you have better options, or almost as good options then I would 100% suggest to you to not take this job or any other job in Turkey unless if it is far better pay, and far better benefits then you can get in Canada.