Thinking of moving soon

@Marilyn Tassy I really feel with you. My wife (born Hungarian with Austrian passport) is a language talent and I am not. Despite being exposed to Hungarian for many years I have never learnt the language properly. I do understand the concept and I agree that the grammar is not that complicated, but it is just so different for me. My pronunciation of the little I know is perfect, which always brings me into trouble because of how little the little is. If I was living in Hungary I think I would move to a place near the Austrian border where everybody is bilingual. OR I would seriously try to learn.
The situatuon in Portugal is much easier, because there you can really get by with English and a little Portuguese, when you stay away from the real countryside.
-@nz7521137

I hate to admit it but I'm really too old to care much any longer.

Thinking of moving soon anyways...

Not sure about moving as to exactly when but within a few years tops.

I have relatives who spoke nothing of English in the US and they got by.

Of course they stuck within their own community of immigrants.

I am not really interested in making casual friends here and anything more serious would need a translator.

Maybe 50 years ago I should of put in more effort?

52 years ago my school friend married a man from Iran and moved over there for 5 years.

Until she was forced to leave in 1978.

She speaks fluent Farsi but then again she was only 17 when she was surrounded by nothing but Farsi. She lived with her in-laws and extented family and they all taught her.

Learning in the US from my husband after he put in a long 12 hour work day wasn't happening for me.

@Marilyn Tassy Interesting. We are in Hungary about 3 times a year to visit the old mum. However, my wife wouldn't want to live in Hungary anymore. She left over 30 years ago for Vienna and then over 20 years ago around the world (AUS, NZ, ...). Despite being here in Portugal for 8 years now, I cannot get the migratory instinct out of my head. But I think I would always keep our home here in Portugal.

So, where are you planning to move next?

@Marilyn Tassy I really feel with you. My wife (born Hungarian with Austrian passport) is a language talent and I am not. Despite being exposed to Hungarian for many years I have never learnt the language properly. I do understand the concept and I agree that the grammar is not that complicated, but it is just so different for me. My pronunciation of the little I know is perfect, which always brings me into trouble because of how little the little is. If I was living in Hungary I think I would move to a place near the Austrian border where everybody is bilingual. OR I would seriously try to learn.
The situatuon in Portugal is much easier, because there you can really get by with English and a little Portuguese, when you stay away from the real countryside.
-@nz7521137

I'm the same on Hungarian. I just never got around to it properly.  It was more important Mrs F spoke English.

You might want to consider Sopron.  Not a bad little town and nearly everyone speaks German. Some speak English.   It's nice in the summer but Portugal would for sure be nicer in the winter.  Could be ideal. Summer in Sopron, winters in Portugal.

There's a few things going on which could push us out of Hungary more permanently - the horrible politics and the winters  and lack of opportunity for our kids.  But the language isn't one of them.

-@nz7521137

You might want to consider Sopron. Not a bad little town and nearly everyone speaks German. Some speak English.  It's nice in the summer but Portugal would for sure be nicer in the winter. Could be ideal. Summer in Sopron, winters in Portugal.

-@fluffy2560

Its where a lot of Austrians do their shopping on holidays and Sundays especially in Tescos.

There's a few things going on which could push us out of Hungary more permanently - the horrible politics and the winters and lack of opportunity for our kids. But the language isn't one of them.
-@fluffy2560

One hears a lot about the horrible politics from those living in Budapest and those not living in Hungary at all. At elections one always has to look at what is available to be voted for. And even those that don't like FIDES often vote for them. Maybe because it makes economical sense to vote that way. Who knows, maybe there will be a push for "regime change" by the big brother.

What I like about Hungary is the landscape, which isn't yet so much polluted by windmills and solar parks. I notice that especially when coming by road/train from Vienna.

There's a few things going on which could push us out of Hungary more permanently - the horrible politics and the winters and lack of opportunity for our kids. But the language isn't one of them.
-@fluffy2560
One hears a lot about the horrible politics from those living in Budapest and those not living in Hungary at all. At elections one always has to look at what is available to be voted for. And even those that don't like FIDES often vote for them. Maybe because it makes economical sense to vote that way. Who knows, maybe there will be a push for "regime change" by the big brother.

What I like about Hungary is the landscape, which isn't yet so much polluted by windmills and solar parks. I notice that especially when coming by road/train from Vienna.
-@nz7521137

At the moment, it's anyone but Orban. I don't have a vote but Mrs F will vote for anyone who is someone else.

Right now, it's a kleptocracy modelled on Russia. And of course, like Turkey as well. It will eventually become a one-party state with Fidesz running the show forever more. Because their entire premise is to be in power forever, it's no longer a functioning democracy.

There are many windmills now on that Budapest-Vienna highway. The place is covered in them and they are increasing all the time. There's not that many solar farms but there are places where they are installed. The FIT (Feed In Tariff) is now a bit marginal. That's deliberate.

One reason is the Russian financed and built nuclear power station expansion. The government needs the population to buy that nuclear power at whatever it takes with obviously the amounts being split with the Russians and the HU version of oligarchs and their political friends.

There is a good reason to have solar panels even if the FIT is not good. That's to be independent of the grid and therefore government interference. It's the same for water wells which is a bit more involved. I'm planning to be as independent of the utilities as possible. When we built our house, we included in the design alternatives as I saw Putin as a risk way back then. The only thing we couldn't do is gas but we can heat our house using a heat pump if we have power. And wood if it gets that bad in the winter.

I'm toying with plans to include a water storage system filled by rain water and a potable UV system. I'm looking at about 3000 litres (probably not enough, probably more like 5000 litres or bigger would be better).

I don't mind wind farms I know @nz7521137 you said that you didn't like the ones not far from the Vienna Airport but its not in a residential area. I can't be sure but I think it helps power SCS. Its on the A2 and the motorway I use every time I drive into Vienna it is a good place to have them as the crosswinds do get strong. 

I don't mind wind farms I know @nz7521137 you said that you didn't like the ones not far from the Vienna Airport but its not in a residential area. I can't be sure but I think it helps power SCS. Its on the A2 and the motorway I use every time I drive into Vienna it is a good place to have them as the crosswinds do get strong.
-@SimCityAT

Yes, it's also very flat or slightly undulating there so there's nothing to stop the wind giving a good blow on those turbines. Bit of a stupid place for an airport though.  Anyway, the same thing is across the border in HU on a smaller scale.

Of the Southern coast of the UK is an absolute massive wind farm in the English channel. It's called Rampion I think and has 100s of turbines. It produces large amounts of power. People there complain about them as an eyesore (you can hardly see them). But I don't mind them myself.

One of our local Aldi shops is covered in solar panels. It's producing 220kW at peak power - there's a sign at the entrance. Should be enough to power the entire shop and export a bit too.

@Marilyn Tassy Interesting. We are in Hungary about 3 times a year to visit the old mum. However, my wife wouldn't want to live in Hungary anymore. She left over 30 years ago for Vienna and then over 20 years ago around the world (AUS, NZ, ...). Despite being here in Portugal for 8 years now, I cannot get the migratory instinct out of my head. But I think I would always keep our home here in Portugal.
So, where are you planning to move next?
-@nz7521137

Could be anywhere from SE Asia to Hawaii where we used to live .

I was even looking into Florida but not so sure about the lizards, snakes and gators.

My cousin is American but moved perhaps 20 years ago to the Phillipines.

He married over there and worked at some sort of Christain charity collecting school books for children. He was disabled in the US so can live comfortably over there without working.

He is now 66 so I suppose he gets SS now.

His wife went to college over there , was into foresty and nature preservation.

They moved to N. Ca. and lived on some property taking care of some forest lands.

Cousin got ill with throat cancer, so they moved to New Mexico to live with his sister.

Well, long story short, he is in remission and they are in the process this week of shipping things from Ca. back to the Phillipines and heading back there for good within a week.

Sometimes it takes a big scare to make one realize what they really want or need in life.

I might wish to visit them at some point after they settle in again. I give them credit for actually moving back where they know they were happier.

Life is crazy though, none of us knows when our time is up so it could be I'll never get away from Hungary before the grim reaper visits.

I figure if we never wish to work again we could still do expensive Hawaii , that's if we plan on kicking it within the next 5 years!

Florida is good for the next decade or so barring high inflation.

Hungary so far so good, can ride it out for the next 40 years without doing a 9 to 5 again.

Just not feeling HUngary so much lately.Maybe it's politics here, maybe it's other issues that have snuck up on us? Not sure really, nothing is wrong but nothing is right either.

I figure if the economy crashes world wide then it's best to live where you feel happy and can do the things you like year round.

The weather in Hungary isn't exactly what I enjoy.

If our son ever decided to move back to Hungary, he is too out of the loop to find a decent job here, he let too much time pass and is getting older himself.

No oppertunity for him here. Best if we sell out so he doesn't have to ever deal with the BS of realters lawyers etc. here.

It's never been important to us to own anything, renting is great because you are free to leave when your time as come for soemthing new to help you grow.

Our son was in management in Vegas. His friend still at his old job said so many people retired that now my son could be in upper management and get his job back if he wanted.

He has no interest in ever living in the US again.

Who knows maybe it would turn out that i'd be living with him in Japan some day and seeing  so many sumo matches as I could stand.

No real plans in place for us just yet.

That's the problem when you can do so many things it's hard to decide what to do.

My husband was the happiest he ever was when he owned nothing, just an old surf board and car and spent his days hanging with the local guys surfing on Maui.

I know exactly what he'd do without semi- materialist me around.

He'd probably rent a cheap old tiny place to lay his head in Honolulu and if needed get a part-time job doing anything that would allow him enough free time to hang at the beach most of his days.Knowing him he probably wouldn't even need a job, his SS would get him by.

Spear fishing, surfing again if he got himself in shape a bit. Just being a beach bum is is goal in life.

Me, Somewhere between middle class and being a beach bum. Can't be middle class without money though.

Hawaii costs at a min. $4,000 too $5,000 per month to be somewhat comfortable. Rent is at least $3,000 a month. Florida is less, more like $1,500 to $2,000 a month but it's no Hawaii either.

Maybe Bali or Thailand can give a beach experience without breaking the bank?

Sort of crazy to be 68 and 75 years old and still looking at what's next.

Maybe a beach in Mexico?

If our son ever decided to move back to Hungary, he is too out of the loop to find a decent job here, he let too much time pass and is getting older himself.
No opportunity for him here. Best if we sell out so he doesn't have to ever deal with the BS of realters lawyers etc. here.
It's never been important to us to own anything, renting is great because you are free to leave when your time as come for something new to help you grow.
Our son was in management in Vegas. His friend still at his old job said so many people retired that now my son could be in upper management and get his job back if he wanted.
Who knows maybe it would turn out that I'd be living with him in Japan some day and seeing so many sumo matches as I could stand.
That's the problem when you can do so many things it's hard to decide what to do.
My husband was the happiest he ever was when he owned nothing, just an old surf board and car and spent his days hanging with the local guys surfing on Maui.
He'd probably rent a cheap old tiny place to lay his head in Honolulu and if needed get a part-time job doing anything that would allow him enough free time to hang at the beach most of his days.Knowing him he probably wouldn't even need a job, his SS would get him by.
Spear fishing, surfing again if he got himself in shape a bit. Just being a beach bum is is goal in life.
Me, Somewhere between middle class and being a beach bum. Can't be middle class without money though.
Hawaii costs at a min. $4,000 too $5,000 per month to be somewhat comfortable. Rent is at least $3,000 a month. Florida is less, more like $1,500 to $2,000 a month but it's no Hawaii either.
Maybe a beach in Mexico?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Maybe your son could do 6 months in Vegas and 6 months in Japan. Just enough to keep the bank account ticking over and keep his hand in. I was in Tokyo recently and it's a really huge place with many foreigners. I am sure he could get a job in any big city in Japan IF he wanted one. 

I've been doing a review of my potential pension and by HU standards, I'd be in reasonable shape if inflation and price rises do not eat away too much. We'd never have enough to hang out in Hawaii at those rates. I'd really like to spend 6 months in warmer climate like Spain. I am dreading the winter in HU.  The worst news on pensions is that my official retirement age now seems to be 67.  I thought I only had to wait 2 years but now it seems to be 4 years. I am really very annoyed about it.  That's government mismanagement for you.

Maybe a beach in Mexico?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Maybe is comes from never really growing roots somewhere. I left my home town when I was 24 and the country when I was 29 and then moved (or was moved) from one place to the other after a few years. Portugal is the first time for us to own a home. But we still find ourselves thinking "where next" once in a while.

I think knowing the local language helps a lot, even though it isn't strictly necessary. But, if I was on my own and had to go to a hospital then it would be great to at least understand part of what they are (or not) planning to do with me.

Maybe a beach in Mexico?
-@Marilyn Tassy
Maybe is comes from never really growing roots somewhere. I left my home town when I was 24 and the country when I was 29 and then moved (or was moved) from one place to the other after a few years. Portugal is the first time for us to own a home. But we still find ourselves thinking "where next" once in a while.

I think knowing the local language helps a lot, even though it isn't strictly necessary. But, if I was on my own and had to go to a hospital then it would be great to at least understand part of what they are (or not) planning to do with me.
-@nz7521137

I think my mid set is in a strange place ATM.

2 of my very old friends from well over 50 years passed within the last 3 years.

My brother died just in Sept. and he was younger then I.

Seeing healthy seeming people just drop is a bit shocking.

I faced a medical illness about 19 months ago

and honestly being in a Hungarian hospital in isolation for 5 days really didn't upset me as much as it sounds like it would,

I ,"surrendered" to whatever happens.

I was overjoyed however when they cut me losse.

5 days was more then enough but when one is really ill time doesn't seem to matter much.

Only the last day was I really wanting to get out.

I think it would of been worst if I had been in a ward with strangers and no able to communicate with anyone.

The do have doctors who speak enough English so no worries.

The nurses, not so much English.

In many ways the medical system here is much better then in the states.

Not as comfy and the rooms are not very nice but the care is seriously done for the most part.

My cousing was in hospitla in the Phillipines about 10 years ago.

Not sure why he had no health coverage because his wife is a local and he has the funds to pay for coverage on his  own.

Long story but he was kept a prisioner for 2 weeks as they demanded a $14,000 payement before letting him go.

That's not a place to mess with. Not sure how he fianlly got out or what happened with his bill.

I knw he set up a go fund me page.

No opportunity for him here. Best if we sell out so he doesn't have to ever deal with the BS of realters lawyers etc. here.
It's never been important to us to own anything, renting is great because you are free to leave when your time as come for something new to help you grow.
Who knows maybe it would turn out that I'd be living with him in Japan some day and seeing so many sumo matches as I could stand.
Maybe a beach in Mexico?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Maybe your son could do 6 months in Vegas and 6 months in Japan. Just enough to keep the bank account ticking over and keep his hand in. I was in Tokyo recently and it's a really huge place with many foreigners. I am sure he could get a job in any big city in Japan IF he wanted one.

I've been doing a review of my potential pension and by HU standards, I'd be in reasonable shape if inflation and price rises do not eat away too much. We'd never have enough to hang out in Hawaii at those rates. I'd really like to spend 6 months in warmer climate like Spain. I am dreading the winter in HU. The worst news on pensions is that my official retirement age now seems to be 67. I thought I only had to wait 2 years but now it seems to be 4 years. I am really very annoyed about it. That's government mismanagement for you.
-@fluffy2560

It used to be easy enough to get hired at casinos but not so much these days.

I heard tales of people having fist fights etc. with customers, walking out and getting hired the same day at another casino.

This was ages ago however.

Now everything is so corp. that even if they hire you it takes weeks to get a start date.

We used to do that, 6 months here and 6 months in Vegas.

I was rehired 3 times at the same casino,Not very usual to happen but then again, I'm,"special" just kidding. I always did my job, never gave them any crap and never called in sick plus I was upbeat in a negative enviorment.

Everyone loves to be around a positive person.

It was easy when we did that as our son always had an extra room for us, perhaps even an extra car ready to be shared and things went smoothly.

I think now with inflation and high rents and no one in town to help you out it is a loss overall to just do 6 months.

I know even with a place to stay , airfare, and settling in with buying a used car and auto insurance can set you back many thousands of bucks even before you start working.

Even those all -inclusive monthly hotels are very expensive now. Used to be over $1,200 per month 10 years back.

No, not worth a 6 month money making trip as it would cost more then it's worth.

They also would never rehire anyone who quit within 6 months time.

Maybe at McDonals or some low level type job but never in a casino and never in upper management.

I heard tales of people having fist fights etc. with customers, walking out and getting hired the same day at another casino.
Now everything is so corp. that even if they hire you it takes weeks to get a start date.
I was rehired 3 times at the same casino,Not very usual to happen but then again, I'm,"special" just kidding. I always did my job, never gave them any crap and never called in sick plus I was upbeat in a negative enviorment.
It was easy when we did that as our son always had an extra room for us, perhaps even an extra car ready to be shared and things went smoothly.
I think now with inflation and high rents and no one in town to help you out it is a loss overall to just do 6 months.
I know even with a place to stay , airfare, and settling in with buying a used car and auto insurance can set you back many thousands of bucks even before you start working.
Even those all -inclusive monthly hotels are very expensive now. Used to be over $1,200 per month 10 years back.
No, not worth a 6 month money making trip as it would cost more then it's worth.
Maybe at McDonals or some low level type job but never in a casino and never in upper management.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Maybe it's marketing perception.  Could position oneself as a "consultant" which then allows these shorter engagements.  I don't know about the Japanese but the Chinese are into gaming in a big way. I am sure Asian casinos are well patronised by folks flying in from China.

Or  maybeis it possible to get in on a tribal casino?   I am sure that's almost impossible to get into and a very closed world for a select few.  Who you know and almost certainly who you are. 

I've heard about couples working on cruise ships but it  sounds like a bit of hassle to do that but it would be all inclusive with large chunks of time off/shore time.   Younger persons work I think.

As you may have guessed, I know nothing about the gaming industry.

We will be in Györ in early June for a few days. I guess the weather will be nice and that we can meet a few friends. I can then check again my Hungarian and how much English or German the locals are speaking 1f603.svg.

-@Marilyn Tassy

Maybe it's marketing perception. Could position oneself as a "consultant" which then allows these shorter engagements. I don't know about the Japanese but the Chinese are into gaming in a big way. I am sure Asian casinos are well patronised by folks flying in from China.

Or maybeis it possible to get in on a tribal casino?  I am sure that's almost impossible to get into and a very closed world for a select few. Who you know and almost certainly who you are.

I've heard about couples working on cruise ships but it sounds like a bit of hassle to do that but it would be all inclusive with large chunks of time off/shore time.  Younger persons work I think.

As you may have guessed, I know nothing about the gaming industry.
-@fluffy2560

We had a really nice young man from Cuba working in one of the casinos I worked in.

He cracked me up so much. He was smart, wanted to land a job at a high end casino so he learned how to deal Tiles.

99% of the customers were old Asian men so he learned a bit of Chinese.

He would argue with them at times when they tried to pull one over on his dealing.

I do hope he went far as he really tried hard to be the best he could be.

Never thought I'd ever be a games dealer but when I found out how easy it was and how much money one could make I enrolled in dealing school. Basically one needs 4th grade math skills and a cool head.

In New Mexico I had a neighbor from Hawaii who was Japanese. She landed a job at a naitve casino in NM when they first opened up. She told me how much she made and comparied to standing all day doing hair without many breaks or huge tips I thought I'd give it a go.

When my friend started the casinos alowed you to keep your own tips. Then they changed it and even had to share tips with the management.

Not cool.

Not cool because some dealers just aren't friendly or pull their weight.

Sometimes the bosses might not personally like someone and put them day after day on a table with low tips.

In Vegas they pull tips into a 24 hour period, everyone shares the pot for the day the day they worked.

I was pulling in more some days in a 8 hour shift then I had made in tips working 30 hours as a hairdresser.

I never worked a 40 hour day doing hair,too demanding in every way to do 40 hours.

My son says if he ever went back to Vegas he would do something with using his Japanese skills and not supervise people or deal again.

He used to work at a privately owned casino in Vegas years ago that was owned by Japanese owners. Too bad he didn't know much Japanese back then.

They sold out and turned the property into a Hooters club.

That's the thing in Vegas, every few years everything is different .

Stepping away for a short time makes it hard to catch up to what's new there.

I have no idea who easy or not it is to land a job in a big Native American casnio like they have dotted around the US.

I did try out fresh from gambling school as a poker dealer at a small native casino inside a reservation.

No way was it easy to get hired.

The big native guy that interviewed me never cracked even the slightest smile and was really hard.

He threw me onto a table( not literally but it felt like it) to deal to a full table of hard core red neck cowboys.

Man, they were straight outta the range. ( as opossed to straight outta Compton!)

Just way too much for little ol' me.

I dealt to them for about 10 mins. felt like 10 years!

Was not hired and gave up on finding a job in NM so we moved to Vegas.

I never told anyone I knew how to deal poker in Vegas. Learned quickly that I wasn't cut out for poker and that a more ladylike game such as barcarrat was for me.

I have forgotten how to even deal poker that's how much trauma it was at the native casino.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have created this new thread on the Hungary forum from some off-topic posts that were posted on another thread.

All the best

Bhavna