Menu
Expat.com

Siargao Island

Last activity 03 August 2024 by Jackson4

Leaving Los Angeles

@WHITE ASIAN everything you just said is music to my ears and is a big reason i want to  start a new life there!  something special has been brewing out there a few years now and i look forward to finding my place in it.  it makes sense that Siargao is attracting a lot of the same types of pioneering, conscientious and creative folks who’ve made places like Bali and Kho Phangan what they are.  i honestly never really saw myself relocating to any other part of PI until i visited Siargao in 2019.  the community there is special and you hear it from so many who visit.

anyway thank you for that info - i’m feeling better and better about my decision day by day!  i just got my dual citizenship last week, and will be preparing for the big move over the next few months.  woo hoo!!!!

Leaving Los Angeles

Hello leaving Los Angeles. We have just bought in Pilaring, north of Pilar.
We bought into a Farm Community.
They call it a "farm community" as you escape a lot of taxes, solicitor costs and most other costs that are associated with buying land in the Phillipines.
It is a quasi gated community for wealthy Pinas and foreigners how ever we bought 200 m2 for P1.07M roughly P5,500 m2 which comes with seal roads, drainage, sewage, water, electricity, amenities including pool, super market, bus stop optic fibre with PLDT and much more....connectivity in Pilaring is some of the best on the Island.
Pacifico is the new General Luna.
A lot of Australians/Americans and Brazilians that are getting out of Bali are buying in & around our area.
Pacifico is not as big as Cloud9 for surf sets but unlike Cloud9 being seasonal Pacifico is all year round surf.
A lot of the permaculture farms and the alternatives that once lived in Kho Phan Ghan are now moving to Bourgos and west of the northern part of the Island along with the arts, yoga centre & meditation communities.
The north of the Island has new sealed roads being built, bridges, hospitals and so much more in the offering.
The International port in Dapa and the new international airport will also be in the north.
The infrastructure is possibly the best you will find anywhere in the Phillipines as far as remote Islands are concerned.
Starlink is all the rage how ever PLDT are here and expanding very fast for the hundreds of Digital Nomads and now with the new 5 year visa coming online next year there will be hundreds more of them.
If you need help in accomodation, buying land or quite simply saying hello....you are more than welcome to drop me a line...
There are a lot of uneducated liars in these Phillipines expat forums...so be careful....best to go to a few other sites without being bullied by the daily locals in here....that think they know a lot when really they know very little about nothing in particular apart from bullying others into a state of reluctance of being in this forum.
We hope you love our Island as much as we do....
Welcome to Siargao island.....

-@WHITE ASIAN

for some reason my other responses aren't showing up on this thread!  hopefully people see them?  i just wanted to also say i would absolutely like to stay in touch with you as i don’t know anyone on the island.  ok to send a dm?

Leaving Los Angeles

@pilotdrh as of last Friday i am officially a dual citizen!!!   so excited 😀

Lotus Eater

We all are LLA (remembered the extra L.) Just remember to take your own supply of HRT with you as its not easy to source in the Philippines.

Leaving Los Angeles

It is a quasi gated community for wealthy Pinas and foreigners how ever we bought 200 m2 for P1.07M roughly P5,500 m2 which comes with seal roads, drainage, sewage, water, electricity, amenities including pool, super market, bus stop optic fibre with PLDT and much more....connectivity in Pilaring is some of the best on the Island.

wow!  i didnt think it was still possible to find anything that cheap there anymore!  Congrats.  ive heard also it’s almost always cheaper to search when you’re actually there (as opposed to online).  my dream is to find a small overlooking property with a seaview.  hope that is still affordable somewhere up north!  i’m sure youre familiar with North Dirty Kitchen?  i love their setup so much.  pretty much what i hope to find 🤞🤞

WHITE ASIAN

North Dirty Kitchen i know nothing of...where is it ? Is there a URL ?

We have started our clearing and a coco lumber fencing for the time being.

I have to go back to Australia to have 2 knee replacements...I hate the Monsoon season & this one on the Island has been particularly brutal. But that has not stopped the thousands of tourists coming here.

Yes, to a degree it is best to come here and look for land.

I also will be buying a sea view in this area, but there are very few left, in 10 years from now prices will be more than what Bora is, in fact GL has prices of P60,000 m2 now popping up and they are being sold quickly by over exuberant wealthy Manila movie stars and the like, not to mention cashed up Americans on the "CHICKEN RUN" reminiscent of 2008...we had a hectare on Bora which we bought 20 years ago, we sold it to the koreans for their golf course expansion & parked our money here...we are glad to get out of Bora not to mention no surf....the Island is actually sinking....

Our perm fencing will be solid concrete as will be my garage and main structure and then a re-creation to becoming Island rustic, when im in Australia i will get some products for water proofing and a concrete strengthening agent that can give me a 64 MPA, so the next typhoon even a coco tree that falls on the fence will just bounce off it like a basket ball.

I can send you costs, builder and where to buy quality products on the Island.

Only 5 years ago you had to source from Surigao City, now you can buy on the Island at a large discount, allbeit it is an Island...so there is an extra cost to shipping materials here....but the Island is becoming self sufficient very quickly.

Pilaring is 27.6 metres above sea level, so i suggest stay away from GL & Dapa and other coastal villages...even Cloud9 area...the once in a 100 year storm surge "IS COMING"...best you ratify that with some wonderful scientists that are based in Palau with information freely available on a search engine.

The other land i am waiting for stage 2 to be released will have Ocean Views, only limited LOTS will be available apparently...somehow i think most have already been spoken for in Manila with the developer.

You are lucky to have dual cit, i am a Perm Res but i have applied for outbound Pinas citizenship which everybody says "as foreigner can not be a Filapino citizen"...which is an un truth....I have dual now with Australia and another country because of my parents being a mixed race whiteman that i am.

The Phillipines is not cheap, every year prices are going up by design.

Asian Godfathers, How Asia Works by Joe Studwell and The World For Sale by javier Blas & Jack Farcy who interviewed me for the book will give you an understanding why prices are going up here and why wealth is being highjacked both in South East Asia and most notably everywhere else in the world.

Hence, the price of onions in the Phillipines most recently, a lot of us made a lot of money over that fiasco...and there is a lot more of that to come.....

Never the less, it is very easy to make money in this world with the advent of the Internet and digital nomads here on Siargao Island in which there are hundreds of and are also alternative by nature as i am....so Siargao Island is one of the few parts of both the Phillipines and South East Asia and in fact the world.

There are many pockets like Siargao Island popping up all over SEA....how ever if you have a tie to the Pinas....then it is a wonderful place to be, especially now at the bottom of the elevator for making money with regards to real estate.

Of course the Australians and American surfers that came here like Boyun & Robertson in the early 80`s truely did live a Paradise here...hence calling it Cloud9 after the chocolate bar along with their bottle of warm coke and other various means of exuberance.

FORTUNE BEHOLD THE BRAVE

Enjoy your life sis....

Leaving Los Angeles

Thanks again!!  yes i would love to get tips on builders/sources etc but no rush at all as i won’t be on the island before April.  North Dirty Kitchen is an open air kubo-style eatery on top of a hill in Santa Monica.  it’s a gorgeous location and the food is supposed to be good.  dont know of a website but they are on Facebook/instagram. 📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id … tid=5irAu0

WHITE ASIAN

I will not be on Siargao Island then but there is an agent, come friend of mine who i can give you a number of who is also care taking my property build. They are also related to the "Farm Community" developments that are going on there. It is a close community there, only 95,000 people live on Siargao Island and now a registered 5,100 foreigners that are mostly alternatives & surfers that now call Siargao Island home.

Message me privately and i will give you my whatsapp contact.

When you are in Siargao Island, i will be in Indonesia or Malaysia or possibly Gold Coast Australia...depends on  clients and work and surf conditions 1f602.svg

Wife has a working contract in an Australian hospital and my 4 year Tissay goes to school in March 2024...

Have fun in life....

Leaving Los Angeles

@WHITE ASIAN sent you a dm!  THANKS AGAIN.  you have no idea how helpful it will be to have some direction and a better idea of options on the island.  I’ve lived in Los Angeles without interruption since 2001 so finally making this move still doesn't feel real to me.

smiha

@WHITE ASIAN hi there. What international airport are you referring to? cant seem to find any info on it. And can i ask about the community? we have a little land in General Luna currently. Looking to build a villa and spend part the year there

smiha

@Leaving Los Angeles i just caught onto this thread. How much is too much in General Luna? we picked up a small block 317sqm for about 18k per sqm near Eskapo & Kermit.

zenavision

@Leaving Los Angeles

I was thinking some of the same about moving. Hard to track down info on shipping comapnies cost of full 20 ft container or partial, to share a container. Fork lift available for heavy items (Ford engine). All i found out was Sampson tug and barge out of Seattle said they would drop a 20' container and i would load it myself during business hours. I was thinking about shipping stuff to Anchorage, AK. This all takes so much time to searc h, its easier to auction my stuff in Kansas.

Lotus Eater

@zenavision

'Leaving Los Angeles' has, ahem, 'left' this forum 6 months ago. Whether she ever arrived to join the 'beautiful' people of Siargao is anyones guess.

zenavision

@Lotus Eater

ok thanks

Jackson4

Looks like I'll get to Siargao earlier than Leaving Los Angeles. Unless she's already there enjoying the sand between her toes. 😁 I already got my air tickets and airbnb for Dec. Coming only as a tourist.

@smiha-congrats on your land purchase at Siargao. There's a ton of tourist accommodations in Siargao. I wonder if it is coming to a point there's too much available rooms.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles