Menu
Expat.com

Siargao Island

Last activity 03 August 2024 by Jackson4

Leaving Los Angeles

looking into early retiring there but not finding much info here. single older female who's ready to leave the US rat race (and never really had my heart in it anyway, unlike my other siblings), no kids (and planning to stay that way), no interest in dating. just interested in surfing, living with less and being closer to nature. and finding others like that to bond with. I'm from California and lived here most of my life but the cost of living (especially where I live in Los Angeles; work in film/tv) is outrageous if you're not earning six figures and up. never thought i'd consider going back to my place of birth (Angeles City - I'm Filipino by ethnicity but raised in the US) and probably wouldn't consider other parts of the PI (except possibly Palawan or La Union) but Siargao seems to be a world apart from the rest of the islands and seems to attract the kind of free-spirited, artsy/bohemian, conscientious, nature-loving types that i love to be around so I would like to early-retire there, especially since post-Odette it seems to be bouncing back nicely. I don't need a car, or a big house - just a motorbike and at most a 2 bedroom modest house, not beachfront (prices are crazy!) but rather overlooking, on a hill maybe. i plan to have enough money for at least a year or two while i get settled and find remote work to supplement my funds, then hit retirement age in a few years and collect my SS and 401K. just need my animals (bringing my 2 cats and plan to adopt a couple island dogs) and nature, and the sea. Plan to rent initially then maybe after getting the lay of the land/market, buy a small plot and build an off-grid small home (not tiny, just not huge). anyone here make it out there? (and yes, I've been there - visited in 2019 after my sister's wedding in Boracay and fell in love with the place and the vibe). I've done plenty of research already and follow a few folks who've done it on YouTube but of course welcome any feedback/suggestions. thanks.

mugteck

La Union sounds like a good spot for a surfer, when the Asian games were in the Philippines  La Union was where the surfing competition was held.  Does seem like a good time to get out of Hollywood.  Sounds like you know what you are doing.  WELCOME TO EXPAT.COM!!!

Leaving Los Angeles

@mugteck thanks! been thinking about it for a long, long time. and now with the writers and actors strike seems like a good time to get going on it. have not been to La Union though i'd love to someday. other than Siargao, i'd love to explore more of Mindanao and Palawan, Southern Leyte.  Moalboal is another place i'd like to check out as well.  love to snorkel and want to get freedive certification as well (already scuba-certified).  i think i'd be happy spending the rest of my life exploring my home country.  so many hidden gems!  and no one knows about them....

bigpearl

Great intro LLA, welcome to the forum.

I have never been to Siargao but heard good things for a visit but for me not to live, too small and restrictive with options but hey OMO.

We chose La union for many reasons before I retired but the main one was not being far from Family for the better half. He did work in Australia for 6 years but is happy to be back as am I for my retirement (Covid and no travel we stayed). We purchased a beach house 6 odd years ago so had a house to live.

Palawan is nice also and never seems to suffer typhoons nor earthquakes but again too remote for us.

La Union is on the west coast and rarely a typhoon above a cat 2 (though there is one forming that will hit us in a week that could be a 3 or 4).

We are near San Juan (surfing) and pretty cosmopolitan and relaxed but expensive if you are on a budget.

Good luck and ask the members your questions.

Cheers, Steve.

Leaving Los Angeles

@bigpearl thank you, happy to be here smile.png  lol i actually like the idea of being remote and on an island!  but still close enough to modern conveniences.  i was concerned about the lack of a big hospital on the island but i believe they broke ground on one in February so that would address my biggest concern.  not being 20 anymore of course health issues are important and though i'm healthy now i have to plan for the future.   Siargao seems to be very popular with Filipinos now.  when i visited in 2019 it was starting to get popular but still way off most people's radar.  especially here in the US, unless you're a surfer you just haven't heard of it.  it just ticks off all the boxes for me as a single female still ripe for adventure.  since i live in California now of course i had considered Mexico (and still love it very much) but it's not as cheap as it used to be, and though it's mostly safe i still think as a single female it can still be sketchy.  i definitely want to visit San Juan and check out the waves there.  heard there's a good food scene as well, which i'm definitely interested in.

Leaving Los Angeles

after living in Los Angeles for 18+ years, the one thing i do NOT want is TRAFFIC.  and long commutes.  which is partly why i'm not really considering mainland PI.

bigpearl
after living in Los Angeles for 18+ years, the one thing i do NOT want is TRAFFIC. and long commutes. which is partly why i'm not really considering mainland PI.
-@Leaving Los Angeles

As a free agent the world is your oyster, partnered like me? 2 to think about as we did.

You mentioned you work in the film industry, I did also for 25/6 years in management and logistics, challenging but rewarding when it all comes together.

You should definitely Visit La Union before you put down roots, the traffic is not too bad, good private and public hospitals and services but 5/6 hours from NAIA or 4 hours to Clark international airport, not often these days we fly, too busy with life here now and loving it.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Leaving Los Angeles

@bigpearl that was actually a huge concern for me about LU, the distance to the airport.  in Siargao you're never more than an hour and a half away at most, at almost any point on the island.  that's part of the appeal.  if i wanted to take a break from island life and spend a weekend in Manila to shop or whatever it seems fairly easy to do.  it's that small.  and i'm so done with big cities! 

the main reason i posted here is to get more info on the logistics of moving to the island.  so many youtubers show how wonderful it is to live/work there but not too many show how they actually got there.  guess that part's not "sexy" lol

bigpearl

If you plan on a lot of flying then that makes sense being close to a domestic or international airport, understand that but for a retiree like me or like you want to be I have no need as I only fly out every 35 months for a visa run or now borders have reopened probably more regularly.

February this year we drove to our regular hotel in Manila, they parked the car for a week, we flew to Singapore for an actual holiday instead of simply transiting one plane to the next. We used to have a domestic airport here in San Fernando City some 40 minutes away but they closed it down 12/15 years ago and now only local and charter planes if you can afford.

I gather Siargao has a domestic airport which is fine for local flights but need to connect for international.

As for distance from an airport remember you like me will be retiring and this is the Philippines and there is no hurry for anything, I can attest to that with 8 to 12 workers here for 12 months with 4 to 6 months to go with 4/5 workers. The works we undertook here if done in Australia would have been a max 6 months, I have learnt to chill when it comes to Filipino time.

Your Island looks great and I hope you enjoy and are happy there as we are here, a quiet and safe area with few people on the beach, 4 kilometers to the local supermarket or a short walk to many Sari stores.

Easy to drive or commute around Luzon, mountains, beaches, services etc. Perhaps look at the options on one or more of the 7,000 plus islands here before you decide.

As for moving what do you need to know? there are plenty of threads on this and other sites re moving pets and Quarantine regs as well as shipping containers, Balakbayan boxes or a couple of suit cases when you rock up.

Cheers, Steve.

Leaving Los Angeles

@bigpearl i think it's the lifestyle that attracts me most to Siargao, along with the fact that even though it's getting more popular every year, it still probably won't ever be over-developed like Boracay.  and just from the week i was there i felt there were lots of people with similar interests (locals and foreign tourists and expats), who like me chose to take alternative paths in life, are there for the slow living, the surf, that sort of thing.  like everyone else, i'm searching for my "tribe" and it's just not in the U.S. i'm close to my siblings but they all have their own families so i need to find something for myself.  Siargao has a very specific vibe that i didn't really detect in other parts of the Philippines I've been to.  i know there are other places that have a similar bohemian vibe, like La Union, maybe Mati in the south from what i've seen, parts of Palawan. For sure in Manila too but i'm leaving the US to get away from big cities, so...

i do plan to do a lot of traveling within the Philippines once i get there so proximity to the airport is essential.  i love to travel internationally too and being in the PI i'll be a lot closer to other Asian countries i've always wanted to visit (Thailand, Bali, Vietnam) and also places like New Zealand and Australia too.

mikelaf

Hi,

If one of your criteria is to be close to a modern hospital you have to be  not too far from Cebu, Manila or Davao.

.. Malboal is interesting...good diving and quite relax. Samal island is super for diving and will be connected to Davao by a bridge...already started. Even now in Davao some patients have to fly to Manila...St-Luke is supposed to build a new hospital. All depend of yours priorities....surfing, diving, health, etc. If you plan to buy a house think twice...if you rent you have a lot of choices in area far of modern hospital because you can leave easily.

bigpearl

Agree mikelaf but we are 5/6 hours from Manila and have a perfectly good private hospital 30/35 minutes away, a doctors visit is still only 400 pesos and I've been seeing the same doctor for over 10 years and no complaints even with an operation on my foot some years ago was a piddly 7K and I'm still alive and kicking

I suppose it really depends on your priorities and living next to a hospital is not for me, we will all die one day but in the mean time select wisely and enjoy the moment/s.

Cheers, Steve.

Leaving Los Angeles

@mikelaf I love surfing, that's why it's Siargao for me.  They do finally have a modern medical facility in the works that had a groundbreaking ceremony in February.  definitely a great thing and pretty much sealed the deal for me.

bigpearl

Enjoy, so why ask questions if you already decided?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve

Leaving Los Angeles

Well I was hoping to hear about other people’s experiences moving to Siargao or who are planning the move like me.  It’s a big decision and don’t take it lightly!

Lotus Eater

@Leaving Los Angeles

seems to attract the kind of free-spirited, artsy/bohemian, conscientious, nature-loving types that i love to be around

From what I hear Siargao ( not to be confused with Surigao) has become the ‘ Spring Break’ destination for many US students on their gap year. Rich & spoilt and ready to party. A somewhat crude analogy would be Fort Lauderdale in Florida in the 80,s before the anklet crowd discovered it.

An ex of mine was from Surigao on the mainland. Lots of beautiful beaches there but without the beautiful pretentious visitors and the surf is not so good.

Bear in mind that this part of the archipelago sticks out like a sore thumb and regularly gets hit by severe storms and Typhoons. Surigao airport has more cancellations than any other airport in the country due to inclement weather.

bigpearl

Only a suggestion but to the OP as a single person why put stumps down on one Island, tiny Island at that, travel and explore this wonderful country as we do, taste the flavours and culture, get your hands dirty mixing within different locations, then decide. As said I ended up in La Union because I have a partner, If I was single I wouldn't be here, perhaps southern Italy or the south in Spain, was my retirement destinations but love brought me here to La Union, no complaints and with the man I Iove.

Don't put the cart before the horse, think long and hard about where you really want to be and that takes time. Never put yourself in a box that you can't get out of.

Cheers, Steve.

Cherryann01

Leaving Los Angeles - Firstly welcome to the Forum, nice post and you seem to know exactly what you want in regards to where to set up home and what you want to do in the Philippines.

Although I am no expert on this and am currently in the UK, I would suggest you make a big list of things to do to accomplish your dream move. Maybe split your list into 3. Winding down your life in the US, travel and moving all things and setting up your new life in the Philippines.

Now regarding the first 2 items, some months ago I saw a You Tube Video by Gio in The Philippines and he was explaining how to go about this so I will tell you some of the things I remember. He actually listed the things using a timeline so starting about six months before the move.

So the first thing will be your property in the US. If you own it outright then you may want to sell it or maybe rent it out to generate a monthly income. If you rent then your landlord will need sufficient notice of you moving out. Work - Obviously you will need to give notice here. I would also arrange to have a full medical to check blood pressure, cholesterol, check your vital organs are functioning properly, maybe have a breast cancer check. (best to be safe). Arrange for a check up with your dentist and any work needed to be done. Do you wear glasses/contact lenses, get your eye sight checked to see your prescription has not changed and get new glasses if needed (including sun glasses). If you are on any medication, arrange for an ample supply to take with you.

Documentation - Passports, Bank Cards, etc - Are they approaching expiry date - if so renew.

Then there are your personal belongings - Will you be shipping things over to the Philippines, if so look into that also. If not you may be putting some things in storage. This will depend on if you are looking at getting a furnished or unfurnished place over there. De-Clutter, get rid of stuff you will not need by selling, giving away or donating to charity. For the last month in the US you may need to stay somewhere else, with friends for example. Do your pets need chipping - if so look into that and their transportation to the Philippines and maybe get a check up for them at the vets to make sure they are in A1 condition.

Towards the end, you will obviously have to cancel standing orders/direct debits and tell your bank and other parties about your move. I also saw a video about Ex Pats having problems receiving the confirmation codes from their banks when transferring money or making purchases with their bank cards so you may want to look into that also. I guess your phone will be another thing, do you wish to upgrade, keep your current contract.

Then you will need to book your flight and arrange for short term accommodation in the Philippines.

So much to do and I have probably not listed everything but good luck to you and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

mattbhk

@Leaving Los Angeles

Seems like you have a good plan laid out already.

My 2 pence worth - if you are looking to build - get to know the people in the area who can recommend reliable contractors. Many cowboys out there and word of mouth is always a good way to weed them out.

Find a good key Head Project Manager local to that area, with experience in all aspects of a build.

Be on top of every stage of the process and never assume it'll be done because you asked.

If they have too many fails then find another before they dig too big of a hole.

Create time lines on development and did I mention keep on top your project every step of the way, every day!

Study material list availability/lead time and prices on the build you require and factor in delivery to remote locations, do not accept the local Contractors word, do your own research.

There are some good solar packages here in the Phils who are more than willing to get your business, however again consider where you are planning the build and factor that in to cost.

As a Pinoy you have a head start on us Expats, but don't be shy to ask tough questions (price, delivery time etc or include penalty clauses)

It's your life, your money and you have the right to ask smile.png

I wish you every success on your new adventure and good luck!

Leaving Los Angeles
From what I hear Siargao ( not to be confused with Surigao) has become the ‘ Spring Break’ destination for many US students on their gap year. Rich & spoilt and ready to party. A somewhat crude analogy would be Fort Lauderdale in Florida in the 80,s before the anklet crowd discovered it.

i gotta disagree with you heartily there. Your description is much closer to Boracay (been there twice, with family; beautiful but overcommercialized) than to Siargao. As an American i've been to and cannot stand those places/people and Siargao is nothing like that, or I wouldn't even consider it! Sure there are some wealthy, "beautiful" people having a good time but last I heard that's not a bad thing. they interact with the locals, respect the surroundings. This may change as it gets more popular (especially in the main tourist town of General Luna; up north it's much more tranquil and that's where i'm hoping to find my forever home), but i don't see any all-inclusives or chain resorts springing up there anytime soon. the locals know it would spoil it. it's a special place and i love what the community has built there (especially after Odette!  it's amazing how it's bounced back), working with visitors and expats to create a sustainable tourism model unlike anything i've seen in the PI. which is why i felt an immediate connection there. it's my kinda place.

I am aware of the weather. But i live with potential for disaster too in California, with the threat of a massive earthquake at any moment and especially now in summer, WILDFIRES.

edit: the majority of tourists there (other than other Filipinos) are European, very few Americans from what i've seen. they're starting to discover it now, but the spring breaker types are thankfully more likely to go to Boracay or El Nido (if they even come to the PI - most Americans go to Thailand or Bali if they want an Asian vacay), since those are much more internationally known at this point, than Siargao.

Leaving Los Angeles

@bigpearl i hear you, but i've been researching for years since my visit there and it has what i'm looking for all around, and which I haven't seen in other parts of the PI in quite that same mix. i love that it's unspoilt but still has some infrastructure (which is getting better every year; they now have Starlink on the island - wifi used to be an issue).  I love that despite it being so remote and undeveloped the roads all around the island are in great condition, perfect for motorbikes! and very few cars. having lived in Los Angeles so many years, i WANT a remote island lifestyle. Plus, there's the surf - all over the island. sure there are other places to surf in the PI but they don't all have the same vibe and community there. it's community i'm also after - people who are like-minded, a good mix of locals, expats and visitors who all want to keep Siargao the special place it is. i think the fact it's a small island makes it more conducive to that sense of community too. but still the island is spread out enough to have your own space too.

having said that as i mentioned previously i fully intend to explore the rest of the country, that's my whole point in coming to the Philippines! I'd love to explore northern Luzon and Batanes, Mindanao, Leyte, Romblon, Mindoro, Palawan, Cebu (especially Moalboal and Siquijor). I love the ocean so most of my activities would center around that - diving, snorkeling, surfing. So many places i want to visit. Siargao would just be the home base. Of course anything can happen, which is why i would be renting before i decide to buy any property.

Leaving Los Angeles

@mattbhk thanks!  yes, believe me I'm aware of shady mag loco loco types in the PI, lol.  i will be renting for at least a year and hope to make contacts and talk to other expats who have built there.  I mean, if a 24 year old youtuber from Florida can build a tiny house there i think i can as well.  should be fun!

still pondering whether i should do dual citizenship (I was born in Angeles City), it might make lots of things easier, but i'm not decided yet....

Leaving Los Angeles

@Cherryann01 thank you for that, ALL great points. i do have a checklist going! other than a few personal belongings i'm not taking much (no furniture, no car etc). i think most of my stuff can go in balikbayan boxes, would use slowest method.

the biggest hurdle to deal with is getting my 2 cats out there - i can either bring them with me on the plane (with a family member taking one) which would be cheaper but very stressful.  There are no direct intl flights to Siargao so I'd have to stop over in Manila for a day or two.  OR go without them and pay a lot to have a pet relocation service handle (not the best option for me), which would be the less stressful way to go.  re-homing them is definitely NOT an option.  where i go, they go.  since i don't have kids, they're my kids.  the process to get them over isn't as difficult as other places, just getting paperwork and vaccines in order, no quarantine.

it's overwhelming, but it has to be done, right?

Leaving Los Angeles

@mattbhk definitely interested in solar, as I know brownouts are a thing on the island!

Leaving Los Angeles
So the first thing will be your property in the US. If you own it outright then you may want to sell it or maybe rent it out to generate a monthly income. If you rent then your landlord will need sufficient notice of you moving out.

i actually rent - the LA housing market is RIDICULOUS. especially if you're single! so no worries there. as far as work, i still plan to work at least part-time, as i'm not fully retiring yet (i wish i could but alas). probably find some remote work to supplement my savings. a real dream of mine would be to build a small bed and breakfast there on the island someday. so if i do buy land that would be a consideration, having enough space to build 2 or 3 studio units to rent out, plus a small common area.  my brother in law has mentioned he'd like to invest if i ever did that so it's something to think/dream about down the road once i'm fully settled in.

mugteck

still pondering whether i should do dual citizenship (I was born in Angeles City), it might make lots of things easier, but i'm not decided yet....
-@Leaving Los Angeles

My wife went to the Philippines consul in New York and got her dual citizenship the same day.  Not sure what the downside would be of dual citizenship, you could still use a USA passport while having the advantages of being a certified local.

Leaving Los Angeles

@mugteck i guess my only concern with that is dual taxation, lol.   most likely i will go for it, because i do want to own land eventually, in my own name and not a lease, or through marriage or whatever.

mugteck
@mugteck i guess my only concern with that is dual taxation, lol.  most likely i will go for it, because i do want to own land eventually, in my own name and not a lease, or through marriage or whatever.
-@Leaving Los Angeles

As an American citizen you must claim your worldwide income on your 1040.  You may be able to take credits on any income taxes you pay in the Philippines, but that is the case whether you are dual or just USA.   Live long and prosper.

Cherryann01
@Cherryann01 thank you for that, ALL great points. i do have a checklist going! other than a few personal belongings i'm not taking much (no furniture, no car etc). i think most of my stuff can go in balikbayan boxes, would use slowest method.
the biggest hurdle to deal with is getting my 2 cats out there - i can either bring them with me on the plane (with a family member taking one) which would be cheaper but very stressful. There are no direct intl flights to Siargao so I'd have to stop over in Manila for a day or two. OR go without them and pay a lot to have a pet relocation service handle (not the best option for me), which would be the less stressful way to go. re-homing them is definitely NOT an option. where i go, they go. since i don't have kids, they're my kids. the process to get them over isn't as difficult as other places, just getting paperwork and vaccines in order, no quarantine.

it's overwhelming, but it has to be done, right?
-@Leaving Los Angeles

Given the 2 choices I think I would opt for the first one. If you have a family member who is willing to help you, it seems like the best option since the cats will be with you and you do not have to leave it up to pet relocation guys.

Would love to know how the cats get on during the flight. Sounds to me by what you have said that you are leaning towards this option.

Leaving Los Angeles

@Cherryann01 wish i could afford the pet relocation though.  would be much less stressful not worrying about my cats as i schlep my bags from terminal to terminal.  travel is hard enough without that!  always better to let professionals do it, but it's so expensive.

Bigrad Wolf

This is cool thread.  I have been planning to visit Siargao for ages but just couldn't.  I was able to get as far as Agusan del Norte due to my Pinay GF who has relatives there.  I will plan again next year and hope it comes true this time.  The goal is to scout the place for settling down.  My GF does not want to come here in States nor in the cities.  She likes simple rural life.  One main consideration is when you have kids, think about their education and where.  Cheers on your adventure! 

Leaving Los Angeles
This is cool thread. I have been planning to visit Siargao for ages but just couldn't. I was able to get as far as Agusan del Norte due to my Pinay GF who has relatives there. I will plan again next year and hope it comes true this time. The goal is to scout the place for settling down. My GF does not want to come here in States nor in the cities. She likes simple rural life. One main consideration is when you have kids, think about their education and where. Cheers on your adventure!
-@Bigrad Wolf

thanks!  You should check out the YouTube channel for 8 Miles From Home.  They’re a British couple with a young daughter (now 6 years old) who came to the island on vacation in 2020, got stuck for 6 months during lockdown then decided to stay there, and are now in the process of building a home (they bought land via the pinay wife of the woman’s father who lives in Cavite).

I am planning to be there in March next year and have already begun the process by reworking my retirement plan with my workplace 401K from the original 2035 retirement date to now 2025.  Can’t believe it’s happening!  6 more months…

Leaving Los Angeles

@Bigrad Wolf if you want to maybe settle there I’d get there sooner rather than later because development is happening FAST.  I just heard that Lind Hotels has already staked out a location for a big hotel on a section of the beachfront in General Luna!  disappointing for me because big hotel chains are just not a thing there, it’s all boutique hotels and hostels.  But I guess as everywhere else, money talks!  It’s basically the new Canggu now that Bali is becoming overrun.  That’s partly why I decided to semi-retire now instead of in 10 years because I probably won’t be able to find affordable land by then!  Sigh.

Leaving Los Angeles

there is basically no affordable beachfront available there anymore, they’re only selling big commercial lots for development. Which is why I plan to look away from General Luna and more inland, up in the northern part of the island, which at the MOMENT is still relatively undeveloped (though that’s likely to change in the near future too). I’m totally fine with that as I want something in a more quiet area, maybe on a hill overlooking rice fields with maybe a distant view of the sea. And I’m planning to go off grid anyway.

Cherryann01
@Cherryann01 wish i could afford the pet relocation though. would be much less stressful not worrying about my cats as i schlep my bags from terminal to terminal. travel is hard enough without that! always better to let professionals do it, but it's so expensive.
-@Leaving Los Angeles

Sounds like you need to get one of the Double Compartment Pet Carriers with detachable wheels and a handle so you can navigate the airport with less trouble with your cats.

Leaving Los Angeles
@Cherryann01 wish i could afford the pet relocation though. would be much less stressful not worrying about my cats as i schlep my bags from terminal to terminal. travel is hard enough without that! always better to let professionals do it, but it's so expensive.
-@Leaving Los Angeles
Sounds like you need to get one of the Double Compartment Pet Carriers with detachable wheels and a handle so you can navigate the airport with less trouble with your cats.
-@Cherryann01

I’ve decided to bite the bullet and use the pet relocation service.   Travelling internationally is stressful enough!  They handle EVERYTHING door to door plus all paperwork, caring for and being with the animals until departure then another representative in the destination country handles paperwork and makes sure they get on the connecting flight to the island.  Worth the extra cost imo to not stress out the pets due to some mistake I make in transit!  If I were just relocating to another city or state in America, or even just across the border to Mexico, I’d do it myself, with a helper.

pilotdrh

If you're 50 you can may be able to get a $1,500 deposit SRRV visa as a former Philippines citizen. If you're near 50 you can just wait, your Balikbayan visa will be good for a year. You can also own a certain amount of land as a former. But If you were born in the PI and derived US citizenship from your parent(s) being naturalized my opinion is you're already a dual citizen. My stepsons were born in the PI and derived US citizenship from their Mom.  One of them is back in the PI and didn't have any issue getting his PI drivers license by using his US license. If you were born outside the Philippines you'll probably need to get a Report of Birth Abroad. You can get Birth Certificates and such from the PSA online.

mcqueen76

@Leaving Los Angeles in a single female from uk. exaclty the same as you. I just want surf, peace and ease. no kids etc. if you want to try and find a large house in good spot id be open to share x

WHITE ASIAN

Hello leaving Los Angeles. We have just bought in Pilaring, north of Pilar.

We bought into a Farm Community.

They call it a "farm community" as you escape a lot of taxes, solicitor costs and most other costs that are associated with buying land in the Phillipines.

It is a quasi gated community for wealthy Pinas and foreigners how ever we bought 200 m2 for P1.07M roughly P5,500 m2 which comes with seal roads, drainage, sewage, water, electricity, amenities including pool, super market, bus stop optic fibre with PLDT and much more....connectivity in Pilaring is some of the best on the Island.

Pacifico is the new General Luna.

A lot of Australians/Americans and Brazilians that are getting out of Bali are buying in & around our area.

Pacifico is not as big as Cloud9 for surf sets but unlike Cloud9 being seasonal Pacifico is all year round surf.

A lot of the permaculture farms and the alternatives that once lived in Kho Phan Ghan are now moving to Bourgos and west of the northern part of the Island along with the arts, yoga centre & meditation communities.

The north of the Island has new sealed roads being built, bridges, hospitals and so much more in the offering.

The International port in Dapa and the new international airport will also be in the north.

The infrastructure is possibly the best you will find anywhere in the Phillipines as far as remote Islands are concerned.

Starlink is all the rage how ever PLDT are here and expanding very fast for the hundreds of Digital Nomads and now with the new 5 year visa coming online next year there will be hundreds more of them.

If you need help in accomodation, buying land or quite simply saying hello....you are more than welcome to drop me a line...

There are a lot of uneducated liars in these Phillipines expat forums...so be careful....best to go to a few other sites without being bullied by the daily locals in here....that think they know a lot when really they know very little about nothing in particular apart from bullying others into a state of reluctance of being in this forum.

We hope you love our Island as much as we do....

Welcome to Siargao island.....

Lotus Eater

@WHITE ASIAN

There are a lot of uneducated liars in these Phillipines expat forums

Yeah but at least we can all spell the Philippines correctly 1f644.svg

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles