Menu
Expat.com

I have no papers in Belgium

Last activity 04 January 2024 by Alex Jonas

Alex Jonas

Hello, I have a question. I have no papers in Belgium. I applied for asylum last year but I have been ordered to leave Belgian territory. My girlfriend is 7 months pregnant, but she has a card of 5 (Card F). Can I stay in Belgium and wait for the arrival of my baby or do I have to leave Belgian territory because I have no papers?? And since my girlfriend has her F card, can my situation change once the baby is born?

Thank you for your time and your answers.

woodcook

@Alex Jonas I think you should go and pre-register your child's birth and talk to immigration lawyer for proper advise.

AlexFromBelgium

===>>> lawyer (75-100€ per visit)

Alex Jonas

@woodcook thank you🙏

Alex Jonas

@AlexFromBelgium Hey, I don't understand,  I need a lawyer for this? Thank you

AlexFromBelgium

Heu.... you've received a formal ordered to leave Belgian territory...

So: YES!

Alex Jonas

@AlexFromBelgium and I leave my baby here? Is that normal??

AlexFromBelgium

Humanly speaking, no.... of course...

Now, to get a resident permit, you must follow the laws of the country and you don't respect it from the beginning! So you're clearly a target for immigration to throw away out of our borders!ss

What matters is not our human kind feelings, but the laws were you live!

If the future born child will not have EU nationality, you won't be granted a right to stay in Belgium!

Meaning your wife is not EU.

It might still be possible for you to not be forced to go out of Belgium with the help of a lawyer, but without their help to slow down / deferred the process, you'll only get yourself throw away from Belgium with the risk to get a banned entry!!!

Else, it will be, in best case scenario, a trip back outside EU + a family reunion visa (9months up to 15 months)...

And of course, if you don't go out of Belgium before the end date of the formal order to leave the country, without the help of a lawyer, you'll just be banned from entry in EU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex Jonas

@AlexFromBelgium Thank you, Alex

My girlfriend had the card for 5 years (Carte F) but she has already applied for Belgian nationality as she grew up in Belgium and she has a second appointment to the Commune to show the original copies. If her request for nationality is accepted before or after the birth of our baby. I will still be in trouble with immigration? Or not?

Thank you

SimCityAT

@Alex Jonas

Yes, you will be in trouble if you do not go by the book. Immigration is not stupid and have seen every possible scam. (I am sure you do love your girlfriend)

But you have to see it the way it looks.

You got refused asylum and asked to leave. But at that time, you found a girlfriend and got her pregnant. There is a good chance immigration will see it as you will try anyway to stay in the country.

I have seen it happen in Austria. A Syrian refugee got deported even though he fathered a child with an Austrian citizen because he did not play it by the book and tried to fool the immigration department. So it does happen.

So do seek legal advice, no one here can give you legal advice but only suggestions and recommendations.

Hope this helps.

hssn601

Just putting a scenario.

-> OP leaves Belgium before the dead line.

-> Becomes father.

-> OP girlfriend and child becomes Belgian citizens.

-> OP comes back to Belgium via family reunification.

Obviously it will take time but it is a legal path i guess.

SimCityAT
Just putting a scenario.
-> OP leaves Belgium before the dead line.
-> Becomes father.
-> OP girlfriend and child becomes Belgian citizens.
-> OP comes back to Belgium via family reunification.

Obviously it will take time but it is a legal path i guess.
-@hssn601

Thank could be a way, but still needs legal advice.

AlexFromBelgium

Once the mum get Belgian's nationality, her child (born or leaving with her in Belgium) will AUTOMATICALLY get the Belgian's nationality.

That's the key for Alex Jonas to stay in Belgium if he was not throw out away/banned from entry.

And if he leave Belgium, he'll be able to do an easy family reunion's (no finance needed) based on a Belgian's child.

But again... as he doesn't have a resident permit ====> immigration lawyer

sameer.ramdowar

@Alex Jonas

Not sure why you are in Belgium without paper.

As you are already in Belgium, the best scenario would be, find a job which will sponsor a visa. Belgium really lack manpower for the time being, so jobs are easy to find. Once that is done, the residence permit will automatically follow within 2 months. Nevertherless, you can start working with the annex 49 from the commune.

SimCityAT
@Alex Jonas

As you are already in Belgium, the best scenario would be, find a job which will sponsor a visa. Belgium really lack manpower for the time being, so jobs are easy to find. Once that is done, the residence permit will automatically follow within 2 months. Nevertherless, you can start working with the annex 49 from the commune.
-@sameer.ramdowar

He has explained why he hasn't got "papers"

sameer.ramdowar

@Alex Jonas

-@sameer.ramdowar

He has explained why he hasn't got "papers"

-@SimCityAT

That was for the person to answer, anyway thank you.

Legally, we cannot stay in a country without visa(paper). This is what I was trying to say.

Just like we would not like an unknown individual to lodge to our houses, the same applies to the Belgian state, which is actually home to numerous institutions, persons, and companies.

Visa rejected -> Do a round trip to the home country and re-apply.

Let's contribute towards a safer Europe smile.png

Best regards.

Alex Jonas

@AlexFromBelgium

My girlfriend has a Card F for 5 years, and she has been in Belgium for 8 years. We are from the same country, and she recently gave birth to our baby. Yesterday, we received the birth certificate for our newborn.

My questions are:

1. Given that I am using an Orange card, what procedure should I follow to change it to another card?

2. Now that we have the birth certificate, what steps should we take next?

Thank you.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belgium

• Traveling to Belgium
    Traveling to Belgium

Expatriation usually means having to deal with administration. Expat.com tells you which travel documents you need ...

• Doing an internship in Belgium
    Doing an internship in Belgium

Students usually have to do an internship to validate their academic training. What's the process of doing an ...

• A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods
    A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods

A very safe and laid-back city to live and work in, Brussels has many different sides for expats and tourists to ...

• Buying a car in Belgium
    Buying a car in Belgium

Some formalities apply when buying a vehicle in Belgium, both before and after the sale. Here's what to expect.

• Buying property in Brussels
    Buying property in Brussels

Compared with other European capitals, buying property in Brussels is very affordable. Consequently, it's ...

• Buying a property in Belgium
    Buying a property in Belgium

The real estate in Belgium has the reputation of being relatively cheaper than its neighbors. We'll give you ...

• Driving in Belgium
    Driving in Belgium

If you're moving to Belgium, you might be interested in learning about getting a driver's license. Read on ...

• Lifestyle in Belgium
    Lifestyle in Belgium

Belgium is a diverse country that's very friendly with newcomers. What about its traditions, festivities, and ...

All of Belgium's guide articles