Upsetting for me

I look at this series in bed in the evening, very interesting.

But what is important to me, society pays, insurance companies (including me paying premiums as well), all these people chasing fraud is also not for free, and even prisons, courts and police is not for free.

Of course for not all death penalty is appropriate, but it might be cheaper for all (Not only for the UK, but also I am sure for other countries (Germany, Netherlands, ..m, but nobody reports)

So much money thrown away to correct things (rightfully)

Of course a lot of reports on corruption in Eastern Europe (or Turkey).

But I would be curious what juridicial and police costs (apart for the cost for insurance companies (which includes me))

As a side note I NEVER took travel insurance (so much abuse which is appalling)

What is good for Hungary is that prisons are not comforable I think are they are in the UK, Netherlands, let alone Luxembourg or Norway.

Honestly looking at a report for Norway, kind of a holiday (if you do not mind not getting out (like me))

@cdw057 Forgot to mention the series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS5xoA6N1DA

The death penalty is banned in the EU

LOL - must be a Dutch thing; my wife would watch that.

As a side note I NEVER took travel insurance (so much abuse which is appalling)   

-@cdw057

Isn't that just short-sighted?

Have you ever read a travel insurance policy?

Whenever the company unfortunately has to pay out on a claim, it adds an exclusion to make sure it never happens again.

Have you ever read a travel insurance policy?Whenever the company unfortunately has to pay out on a claim, it adds an exclusion to make sure it never happens again.        -@zif

Yes I read travel insurance policies in great detail.  And I've claimed on the them too.  Some are better than others.    If you don't have insurance, you have no recourse.  If you do, there's always a chance.  It's cheap anyway.  A one week trip to the UK  from Hungary on Wizzair can be insured for something like HUF 1500.  For that kind of price, why take the chance?

But there is an element of risk on both sides.   Only recently I had to claim on "car rental excess insurance" for a punctured/damaged tyre which had to be replaced. It was damaged beyond repair and was clearly defective when I drove away. But I couldn't see that.   I was able to shift blame the car rental company by citing negligence and the opinion of the tyre fitter.   I always photograph rental cars extensively before driving away.   They argued about it but I am always prepared for a fight and they gave in when it was clear I wasn't going to throw in the towel early. It costs them too much to argue.

I am a strange man, no doubt about it over the years, I do not want to claim subsidies (or claims from insurance companies), I am responsible for me and my wife. Yes a health insurance is mandatory (and of course needed for emergencies (although for the latter if I would have cancer I would not go for treatments, I will go for passive approach and just jump (11 floors I see is more then enough))

I am so so sad to see that governments pay massive amounts for so called refugees (of safe countries) to return. Refugees are very fine, if they are in need (religion, sex preference, ..) but it has to be honest.

Netherlands pay EUR 5 K bonus for people to return (safe countries (Morocco, Turkey, Balkan states, ..)

Refugees prefer to like to come to Western European countries (why is that, Hungary has the same rules, but not excessive in support)

I saw a funny meme the other day on FB.

It was a photo of a prison cell in Sweden and the caption stated it looked like an add for Ikea.

Nice and cozy.

Last night I watched a few episodes of a show from the UK.

Dang, forgot the name but about murder done by loved ones to their spouces.

Poisoning with anti-freeze etc. Beating their heads in and putting them in the freezer.

Disgusting.

I'll probably look into travel insurance for my next trip.

At least some sort of medical coverage for 90 days or so.

The EU medical coverage does not work in the US and getting signed up for just a few months is a no go.

The US medicare system has only a few open months per year when you can be added.

I just went through treatments for cancer and now I'm fine.

It wasn't fun or easy but I'm alive and grateful.

No surgery, that for me was a none stater.

They wanted to do surgery at first but I said no and walked out.

It's good to know your limits but it's also good to get all the info you can before tossing away your life.

Back to the death penalty. My friend lives in N.Ca. the nickname for her city is,"Hang Town" they hung 5 cattle rustlers from a tree. rough justice in the old west.

Makes me think about how one would feel if their own loved one was murdered.

Would you seek death for the onbe responsible for it?

To be honest, I probably would do them in myself if possible.

I know I've had a bad temper in my youth and would fight if needed so facing something so horrible as the murder of a loved one would probably bring out the worst in me.

I had a gym friend in Las Vegas. Spoke with this lady almost everyday and we got on very well.

Very nice and friendly.

She opened up to me and shared a horror tale.

Her mother was from the UK and her father was a black man.

Her brother in Vegas was a bit older then her when this happened.

He got himself involved with a gang.

They were after him for soemthing,not sure now what it was. Stealing from them, snitching?

Well he was home with his mom and his 3 sisters when the gang broke into their home.

His mother and sisters hid in a closet in fear. He was ready to face his gang memebers alone and didn't want his mom or sisters hurt. Told them to stay quiet no matter what and to not move.

They had to hear him being tied to a chair, and beat to death in their home.

I'm sure if I witnessed something that horrible I'd go Rambo.

This women was just a teenageer when this happened but her life was in taters wondering what they could of done to help him.

I was so happy for her on a Vegas visit after a few years when she told me she was married and I could see she was having a baby. She somehow moved on and was trying to be happy again.

As history and research proves death penalty itself have no hold back power.

What is truly holds back if the outcome unavoidable, even if very mild.

So no bs about rights, and legal tricks for example.

@sjbabilon5

Rather life sentence, I think death penalty is cheaper, I am pretty sure that is VERY serious crime with 25+ years is financially good for society.

Please give me the expenses (even in Hungary) for somebody staying in prison (let alone Western Europe with all their facilities)

@sjbabilon5
Rather life sentence, I think death penalty is cheaper, I am pretty sure that is VERY serious crime with 25+ years is financially good for society.
Please give me the expenses (even in Hungary) for somebody staying in prison (let alone Western Europe with all their facilities)

-@cdw057

NO country in the EU can give the DEATH penalty!! 

@sjbabilon5Rather life sentence, I think death penalty is cheaper, I am pretty sure that is VERY serious crime with 25+ years is financially good for society. Please give me the expenses (even in Hungary) for somebody staying in prison (let alone Western Europe with all their facilities)        -@cdw057

NO country in the EU can give the DEATH penalty!! 

-@SimCityAT

UK had some discussions on bringing it back.  I cannot believe the country ethics would have dropped that low that it was in any way a serious consideration. 

After that UK prison escape, it came out it costs £43K a year or something to keep a prisoner inside.  And it's £1000 a night on the migrant barge. And currently unoccupied. What a money spinner for the owners!  I'd have thought it would a good homeless shelter. Could be moored up the Thames right next to Parliament.

The deathy penelty is a big issue in the US.

I persoanlly am for it in cases like the Manson family.

My brother was locked up for 6 months.

His wife's family was in the Mexican mafia and made sure he didn't get bail.

He lost his temper when he came home from work early ( sounds like a movie of the week script but true) and found his older wife in bed with his best friend.

He tossed his friend through a plate glass window.

His friend went to hospital and his wife had my bro locked up for domestic abuse!

She turned around during those 6 months and sold their new BMW ( paid off) and home and all of my brothers gutairs and personal items. She even threw away family photos of our deceased parents.

That was totally unfair for him not to get bail.

BTW, she spent all the money on plastic surgery!!

Not sure where he found that crazy women, bad luck on his part.

Had an uncle, my mothers 19 years older half-brother who went to jail for robery.

He was a professioanl boxer in the pre radio days of the 1920's.

Was pretty famous in the local curcuit.

In fact his photo was hung in the Smithsonian, my cousin saw it there.

Well, he got full of himself and didn't practice before a big fight.

Got his lights knocked out of him.

He was on the meand and a friend of his got him to join in on a burgalry of a potatoe chip factory!

No one was hurt, they broke in when it was closed and no one was there.

My mother was small at the time and remembered all the new clothing, new dolls and gifts he bought her.

Then the cops came to the door.. off he went.

Later he married a Hungarian women and lead a peaceful average life and raised his family.

He did his time and moved on, no reason to make everyone who makes a mistake a life long crimmie.

Insurance is a fraud worldwide. Important to note, they dont cover pre-existing illness.

I wonder if travel health insurance covers pre-existing conditions or not?

Want to take a trip out of the EU and would like some coverage for a few months.

I'd hate being held hostage to pay a medical bill in another country.

My cousin was held hostage in the Phillipines years ago for a $14,000 bill.

He never mentioned how he got out, he had set up a go-fund -me page but didn't collect anywhere near $14,000.

In S. Ca, 31 years ago my sister passed out, turned blue and stopped breathing.

She had asthma.

Her BF threw her in his car and drove like a madman to the closest hospital.

She was intubated, given several shots in her heart and brought back to this life.

She actually flat lined for God knows how long. She had a NDE.

She also had no health insurance and after just a few hours of being monitored in hospital, they kicked her out.

She wasn't so lucky with her next attack and passed away.

I wish health insurance companies would all go bankrupt.

A friend of mine here in Hungry had several bad experiences with her private health plan here.

I won't mention the name of the co. but it is used by many ex-pats as a usually simple plan for immigration services. Just looks good on paper although they don't actually cover anything.It starts with the letter,"G". that's a clue I hope.

Well she and her parent moved to HU from the US.They had the policy for over 5 years and purchased the companies premium plan.

The few times she wanted to use the coverage for simple doctor visits it was never excepted.

In the end during C-19 her father fell very ill and was taken to the hospital.

He was hardly treated at all, they just told her he was going to die and that was it!

She was under the impression the hospital bill would be covered for the 2 days he was in.

No, they charged her and didn't release his body!

No kidding a real nightmare.

Because of lack of communication he was not realeased  to a funeral home.

Hate to even think about it now, she has moved on and left HU for good.

I've heard a few odd tales about ex-pats expiring here and their families having issues getting the body back.

My husband and I even tried to help during covid by with her permission contacting the coranors office and leaving our number if they wanted any more info etc.

Never got a call back from them.

We even went into a creamation funeral office to ask about costs and what to do.They were not interested for any price in dealing with an ex-pat and the red tape.

BTW, the US embassy was also no help, they only offer a list of lawyers for a high price. The US VA was of no help either.

Things one would never consider happening until the do happen.

On the bright side, it's not all that expensive to be creamted in Hungary.

I think most (if not all) travel insurance policies are for emergency medical treatment only.  I know the Dutch Healthcare Insurance does cover existing conditions, but is only available to residents.

I think most (if not all) travel insurance policies are for emergency medical treatment only.  I know the Dutch Healthcare Insurance does cover existing conditions, but is only available to residents.        -@Cynic

Thanks, that's good to know.

It's the emergencies that cost allot.

I know in the US for $98. or more you can just walk into a health clinic in a mini-mall and see a doctor without an appontment.

Sort of a scam thing though because they have no real files on you and don't run major tests etc.

They're OK for a flu and script but not much else.

Once before my health insurnace kicked in at my job in Vegas I and my husband had the flu badly.

I didn't want to miss any work so went to one of the pay clinics.

Gave me some short of shot a script for a flu medication and my husband saw the doc too. We walked out over $350. later and still had to pay for the medications.

When my insurance fianally came through we were sent to a company medical clinic for any issues.

Not much better then those walk in clinics.

I have bad knees and one started acting up on me.

I went for medical advice, was given a script for really strong pain meds.

Every 30 days I was given a refill and never was the real issue taken care of.

Some sort of really heavy pain med, I could only take half a pill because they were too strong to take and deal cards with.

I soon found out that almost every dealer I knew was on some sort of pain med. Handling 10's of thousands of dollars fast and being higher then a kite.

Insane!

Cheaper to cover up the problem then address it.

I think most (if not all) travel insurance policies are for emergency medical treatment only.  I know the Dutch Healthcare Insurance does cover existing conditions, but is only available to residents.        -@Cynic

Thanks, that's good to know.
It's the emergencies that cost allot.
I know in the US for $98. or more you can just walk into a health clinic in a mini-mall and see a doctor without an appontment.
Sort of a scam thing though because they have no real files on you and don't run major tests etc.
They're OK for a flu and script but not much else.
Once before my health insurnace kicked in at my job in Vegas I and my husband had the flu badly.
I didn't want to miss any work so went to one of the pay clinics.
Gave me some short of shot a script for a flu medication and my husband saw the doc too. We walked out over $350. later and still had to pay for the medications.
When my insurance fianally came through we were sent to a company medical clinic for any issues.
Not much better then those walk in clinics.
I have bad knees and one started acting up on me.
I went for medical advice, was given a script for really strong pain meds.
Every 30 days I was given a refill and never was the real issue taken care of.
Some sort of really heavy pain med, I could only take half a pill because they were too strong to take and deal cards with.
I soon found out that almost every dealer I knew was on some sort of pain med. Handling 10's of thousands of dollars fast and being higher then a kite.
Insane!
Cheaper to cover up the problem then address it.

-@Marilyn Tassy

Although I have a US passport, I don't know much about the place and speak to my fathers family (Kentucky) if I want to know anything. I know that Healthcare is an important part of their employment package and a couple of my cousins have worked way past retirement in order to make sure their partners are covered.

Drove through ,"old Kentuck" a few times, pretty state, very green.

I tend to think most doctors just follow a script and don't think outside the box very often.

Drug pushers in white coats!

My brother and SIL both had top notch heath coverage in the US with their jobs.

Both were airline mechanics with tons of perks.

I suppose i'm in a funk because it's been a year since he passed frm colon cancer.

Family in the US had a big memorial this past weekend and it brought it all back again in my mind.

Just sad...

I have no idea how he got that ill with such good health care available to him.

Either it is a quiet illness or he also dislikes seeing doctors for every little thing.

Most of my jobs in the US did not come with health coverage, they are tricky that way.

Will have you work 39 hours per week , just low enough not to have to give you health care.

My husband always was self-employed so we either went without or we had just hospital coverage and pid for anything else out of pocket.

We used to ahve a rule in our house,"No one is allowed to get ill".

That usually works well when one is young but not always.

Drove through ,"old Kentuck" a few times, pretty state, very green.I tend to think most doctors just follow a script and don't think outside the box very often.Drug pushers in white coats!My brother and SIL both had top notch heath coverage in the US with their jobs.Both were airline mechanics with tons of perks.I suppose i'm in a funk because it's been a year since he passed frm colon cancer.Family in the US had a big memorial this past weekend and it brought it all back again in my mind.Just sad...I have no idea how he got that ill with such good health care available to him.Either it is a quiet illness or he also dislikes seeing doctors for every little thing.Most of my jobs in the US did not come with health coverage, they are tricky that way.Will have you work 39 hours per week , just low enough not to have to give you health care.My husband always was self-employed so we either went without or we had just hospital coverage and pid for anything else out of pocket.We used to ahve a rule in our house,"No one is allowed to get ill".That usually works well when one is young but not always.        -@Marilyn Tassy

I always wonder if the US health system is sustainable.  Many other developed countries have universal healthcare paid out of general taxation (or termed "insurance") and the actual costs of treatment and drugs are supposedly lower than in the USA. 

Makes one wonder who is making the money and why anyone isn't looking at very substantial and fundamental reforms.  I know Biden has changed the way medicines are funded but causing odd side effects (it was reported in The Economist). 

I read some years ago, the main reason the US system developed as it did (and not the universal system) was directly caused by the rise in motor vehicle accident claims.  I should look into it more.   

My Dad was in a UK hospital for his heart condition in June for about 2 weeks.  Actual cost to him of being in there all that time: £0.  I had to pay £2.50 or something for the car park when I went to see him.

Mrs F had to go to St Janos Korhaz about a week ago for something minor/trivially annoying.  Cost HUF 0.  She should have paid for the car park but the parking attendant waved her out which was very kind.

My care in the hospital in Austria has always been free, the only cost was €2.50 a day and that was for food. Which I didn't think was too bad. Oh and a Support Belt for my back. I can sell that, so will get some money back.

In the US there are these groups called "stakeholders" -- the drug, insurance, and hospital companies -- and even if the US were to go to single-payer, the interests of the stakeholders would be protected. And indeed that's precisely the case with Medicare.

In the US there are these groups called "stakeholders" -- the drug, insurance, and hospital companies -- and even if the US were to go to single-payer, the interests of the stakeholders would be protected. And indeed that's precisely the case with Medicare.

-@zif

As far as I know, the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act - one of Biden's initiatives) reinstated the ability of Medicare to negotiate drug pricing.  Previously they couldn't do that. Why? No idea!  But now they can. 

Some meds are insanely expensive in the USA - like insulin. It costs pennies to produce but is sold at very high prices. Apparently, people have to get it shipped from Canada and Mexico otherwise, quite literally, they will die.

What kind of a system does that to its citizens?

In the US there are these groups called "stakeholders" -- the drug, insurance, and hospital companies -- and even if the US were to go to single-payer, the interests of the stakeholders would be protected. And indeed that's precisely the case with Medicare.        -@zif

As far as I know, the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act - one of Biden's initiatives) reinstated the ability of Medicare to negotiate drug pricing.  Previously they couldn't do that. Why? No idea!  But now they can. 

Some meds are insanely expensive in the USA - like insulin. It costs pennies to produce but is sold at very high prices. Apparently, people have to get it shipped from Canada and Mexico otherwise, quite literally, they will die.

What kind of a system does that to its citizens?

-@fluffy2560

I have American TV, and I love their commercials, especially the dugs and vitamins.

There is one being advertised some vitamin supplements being sold for $39.95 plus P&P, they are for a limited time giving a free bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJctAk2ukk

But the medical ones are really entertaining, they list all the small print (side effects) with the fear of not being sued in case something goes wrong.

In the US there are these groups called "stakeholders" -- the drug, insurance, and hospital companies -- and even if the US were to go to single-payer, the interests of the stakeholders would be protected. And indeed that's precisely the case with Medicare.        -@zifAs far as I know, the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act - one of Biden's initiatives) reinstated the ability of Medicare to negotiate drug pricing.  Previously they couldn't do that. Why? No idea!  But now they can.  Some meds are insanely expensive in the USA - like insulin. It costs pennies to produce but is sold at very high prices. Apparently, people have to get it shipped from Canada and Mexico otherwise, quite literally, they will die. What kind of a system does that to its citizens?        -@fluffy2560

I have American TV, and I love their commercials, especially the dugs and vitamins.

There is one being advertised some vitamin supplements being sold for $39.95 plus P&P, they are for a limited time giving a free bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJctAk2ukk

But the medical ones are really entertaining, they list all the small print (side effects) with the fear of not being sued in case something goes wrong.

-@SimCityAT

I read the comments and the woman shown is something of a celebrity.  But I think the medicine is pure quackology.  Same sort of thing goes on here.  Useless vitamins or cod liver oil you can buy in fancy bottles.   Mrs F buys these kinds of things and it winds me up.   

Some things are ridiculous - try buying generic Aspirin. No chance - it's all stitched up by Bayer at  very high price.  And Claritin generic - almost impossible.   

I have seen generic stuff in  US supermarkets but here, no way. It's a pharma job.

Not a reply per se, more a new post, perhaps I will do, having said that WHY should all get 100 years of age (for the rest of society is a burden (financially but also in other ways)

I just imagine myself, but I would imagine most over 60 that we are not clever as we were, perhaps we are wise, but does society needs 60+??

Look at challenges are emerging in Japan/China but also Europe.

SERIOUS remark

We can NOT pay for healthcare and for me, I do not intend to be a burden for family or society

Not a reply per se, more a new post, perhaps I will do, having said that WHY should all get 100 years of age (for the rest of society is a burden (financially but also in other ways)I just imagine myself, but I would imagine most over 60 that we are not clever as we were, perhaps we are wise, but does society needs 60+??Look at challenges are emerging in Japan/China but also Europe.SERIOUS remarkWe can NOT pay for healthcare and for me, I do not intend to be a burden for family or society        -@cdw057

I'd argue you already paid for your healthcare in advance. 

I'm over 60, still working and contributing despite being bored with it.  Sure, I'm a bit slower but so what?  The world needs the experience and wisdom of older heads especially in trying times.  In many jobs, grey hair is valued.  One wouldn't want to be operated on by a 23-year old surgeon.  A 50-year old one who has done the job 100 x, sure. 

Maybe you need something to do and to spend less time thinking of negative things.   

In the US there are these groups called "stakeholders" -- the drug, insurance, and hospital companies -- and even if the US were to go to single-payer, the interests of the stakeholders would be protected. And indeed that's precisely the case with Medicare.        -@zifAs far as I know, the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act - one of Biden's initiatives) reinstated the ability of Medicare to negotiate drug pricing.  Previously they couldn't do that. Why? No idea!  But now they can.  Some meds are insanely expensive in the USA - like insulin. It costs pennies to produce but is sold at very high prices. Apparently, people have to get it shipped from Canada and Mexico otherwise, quite literally, they will die. What kind of a system does that to its citizens?        -@fluffy2560I have American TV, and I love their commercials, especially the dugs and vitamins. There is one being advertised some vitamin supplements being sold for $39.95 plus P&P, they are for a limited time giving a free bottle.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJctAk2ukkBut the medical ones are really entertaining, they list all the small print (side effects) with the fear of not being sued in case something goes wrong.         -@SimCityAT

I read the comments and the woman shown is something of a celebrity.  But I think the medicine is pure quackology.  Same sort of thing goes on here.  Useless vitamins or cod liver oil you can buy in fancy bottles.   Mrs F buys these kinds of things and it winds me up.   

Some things are ridiculous - try buying generic Aspirin. No chance - it's all stitched up by Bayer at  very high price.  And Claritin generic - almost impossible.   

I have seen generic stuff in  US supermarkets but here, no way. It's a pharma job.

-@fluffy2560

Perhaps you should stock up the next time you are in the UK.  Generic medicines are very much the way ahead these days; some examples

Anti-allergy - 75p

Aspirin - 85p

Pain Relief (Paracetamol/Caffeine) - 69p

Paracetamol - 39p

Aldi, Lidl and B&M sell it much cheaper than the NHS

In the US there are these groups called "stakeholders" -- the drug, insurance, and hospital companies -- and even if the US were to go to single-payer, the interests of the stakeholders would be protected. And indeed that's precisely the case with Medicare.        -@zifAs far as I know, the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act - one of Biden's initiatives) reinstated the ability of Medicare to negotiate drug pricing.  Previously they couldn't do that. Why? No idea!  But now they can.  Some meds are insanely expensive in the USA - like insulin. It costs pennies to produce but is sold at very high prices. Apparently, people have to get it shipped from Canada and Mexico otherwise, quite literally, they will die. What kind of a system does that to its citizens?        -@fluffy2560I have American TV, and I love their commercials, especially the dugs and vitamins. There is one being advertised some vitamin supplements being sold for $39.95 plus P&P, they are for a limited time giving a free bottle.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJctAk2ukkBut the medical ones are really entertaining, they list all the small print (side effects) with the fear of not being sued in case something goes wrong.         -@SimCityATI read the comments and the woman shown is something of a celebrity.  But I think the medicine is pure quackology.  Same sort of thing goes on here.  Useless vitamins or cod liver oil you can buy in fancy bottles.   Mrs F buys these kinds of things and it winds me up.   Some things are ridiculous - try buying generic Aspirin. No chance - it's all stitched up by Bayer at  very high price.  And Claritin generic - almost impossible.   I have seen generic stuff in  US supermarkets but here, no way. It's a pharma job.        -@fluffy2560

Perhaps you should stock up the next time you are in the UK.  Generic medicines are very much the way ahead these days; some examples

Anti-allergy - 75p
Aspirin - 85p
Paracetamol - 39p

-@Cynic

That's what most of the Brits I know do here, we actually share a lot of stuff. " are going to Blighty, do you need anything bringing back? I know Fluffy does as well.

Not a reply per se, more a new post, perhaps I will do, having said that WHY should all get 100 years of age (for the rest of society is a burden (financially but also in other ways)I just imagine myself, but I would imagine most over 60 that we are not clever as we were, perhaps we are wise, but does society needs 60+??Look at challenges are emerging in Japan/China but also Europe.SERIOUS remarkWe can NOT pay for healthcare and for me, I do not intend to be a burden for family or society        -@cdw057
I'd argue you already paid for your healthcare in advance. 

I'm over 60, still working and contributing despite being bored with it.  Sure, I'm a bit slower but so what?  The world needs the experience and wisdom of older heads especially in trying times.  In many jobs, grey hair is valued.  One wouldn't want to be operated on by a 23-year old surgeon.  A 50-year old one who has done the job 100 x, sure. 

Maybe you need something to do and to spend less time thinking of negative things.   

-@fluffy2560

Exactly, age is BS. I worked with a women who was 86 and a new games dealer.

She wanted to pay off her new car by working because she had years of life in her still.

I was chatting the other day with my husband. I'm into end of world scenarios.

My husband thinks my son and I are nuts for going to the dark places but I find it interesting.

My husband believes in the NOW that's the only thing that is real.

Not a what if situation.

Well, he joked that we didn't have to worry about a Mad Max world because most everyone wo uld be gone.

If however,if he lived and had enough years he could rebuild the world himself.

Not a guy with a big ego but skills and logic.

He explained in great detail how to start making machinery again,First with wood and animal tendons as strings, belts and from there keep making better and better machinery to rebuild with.

Way the heck over my head but I let him get on a roll.

People would need to learn to grow food again, it's not as easy as just popping seeds in the ground it takes skill.

I doubt many 20 year olds know how to rebuild anything let alone the world.

I don't know why the figure 60 is old. I mean Mick Jagger is 80 and he still has little children.

It's how you think about yourself.

I have to say I find in Hungary and perhaps it's the same in all of the EU but people treat older people like they don't matter. Well, older people could say the same to young people who don't know anything.

We used to hang with a lady here in HUngary who was in her early 80's. This was 14 years ago.

She even had a BF on the side that she didnt want her daughter to know about.

She could dance the afternoon away at the senior dances she took us to.

I swear many people in the mid 90's were ,"Putting on the Ritz" some old dude had Spectater shoes and was dancing like crazy with many old ladies.It put me to shame being in my 50's at the time.

I will say though I think every generation is getting weaker and weaker physically and mentally.

Upset about every little thing and not able to walk or stand all day long without whinning about it.

The DNA strands must be breaking down faster because of poor air quality, GMO foods and just being lazy.

I see photos of young men age 14 who are in wars and then I see 20 something year old boys riding scooters around the city.

-@Cynic

That's what most of the Brits I know do here, we actually share a lot of stuff. " are going to Blighty, do you need anything bringing back? I know Fluffy does as well.

-@SimCityAT

When I lived in Germany, it used to be toilet rolls and potato crisps.

Anti-allergy - 75p
Aspirin - 85p
Paracetamol - 39p

-@Cynic

I didn't know about B&M.  Aldi, Lidl and Poundland have restricted sales - used to be 3 packets of pain relief for £1.  I also get their hay fever tablets (also £1).

Some UK pharmacy busybodies interfered with cheap sales.  They ran a campaign and it worked in their favour.   They said people would commit suicide if it was cheap.  Yeah, right, like the price means anything then.

Perhaps you should stock up the next time you are in the UK.  Generic medicines are very much the way ahead these days; some examplesAnti-allergy - 75pAspirin - 85pPain Relief (Paracetamol/Caffeine) - 69pParacetamol - 39pAldi, Lidl and B&M sell it much cheaper than the NHS         -@Cynic

I didn't know about B&M.  Aldi, Lidl and Poundland have restricted sales - used to be 3 packets of pain relief for £1.  I also get their hay fever tablets (also £1).

Some UK pharmacy busybodies interfered with cheap sales.  They ran a campaign and it worked in their favour.   They said people would commit suicide if it was cheap.  Yeah, right, like the price means anything then.

-@fluffy2560

B&M have probably got much more choice than Aldi/Lidl.  The sale restriction in Aldi/Lidl (and not only those) came about because during Covid, many small store/corner shop people were buying out everything to stock their own shops at 10 times the price they had just paid for it.

B&M have probably got much more choice than Aldi/Lidl.  The sale restriction in Aldi/Lidl (and not only those) came about because during Covid, many small store/corner shop people were buying out everything to stock their own shops at 10 times the price they had just paid for it.

-@Cynic

I didn't know about the corner shops and COVID. I thought it was a pharmacist/newspaper campaign.

B&M is useful to know about as they have out of town shops. Poundland always involves paying for parking.  Aldi/Lidl, well, we all know about them.  Wilko was said to have gone bust due to too many high street shops and nothing out of town.   People buying garden furniture don't want to lug it through a town to their cars. It's like Wilko ignored what was going on around them.  Amazing how blind they could be.

A few years back I sent over a few bottles of asprin, 100 tabs for $1.00 from the 99cents store in the US.

They were items about to expire , I gave a bottle to our neighbor.

Later when those ran out I purchased some from the pharmacy in Budapest. man, they sure are expensive here.

Sold in 10 or 20 packs?

I haven't taken an aspirin in ages .

I've heard taking expired aspirins aren't a good thing.

Then again they may just be saying that to make people pay top dollar for meds.

The trouble we have here, you have to get them from the Pharmacist. If they were ready available everywhere I am sure the price would drop.