Menu
Expat.com

Renting for long periods of time?

Last activity 20 October 2011 by giniwishes

dannyjoe87

Looking at moving to Costa Rica in about a year and want to rent a place just outside of a metropolitan area that is somewhat cheap (not fancy by any means just basic), and has area to grow food. Can anyone tell me if this is an unrealistic want or if it is typical, how much do these places usually run? Have only decided on CR about a month ago so have been drinking from the water fountain for info on the country.

Franchael

Hi DannyJoe,
I just moved to Atenas, Costa Rica with my wife and five children.  About 20 km from San Jose.  We rent a 3br/2ba basic home, within walking distance of everything in town.  Expect to pay about $800/month for such a place.  Or if you're wanting just 1 or 2 bedroom, more like $700/mo.  That would likely be furnished and may even cover electricity.
There is absolutely no air conditioning here.  Occasionally, I walk into a business that is air conditioned.  But even foreigners living luxuriously here, do not have air conditioning. 
My house does not have enough room for a garden, but I think many places do.
There are many bulletin boards around town advertising rentals and apartments. 
Pura Vida!
Michael

dannyjoe87

ok so $700-$800 is pretty typical then...I assume the further away from town you get, the cheaper it gets?

Franchael

Not sure that it gets cheaper the further away from town you go.  It appears to me, that the larger, more "Americanized" ranches and villas are further out from town, which are probably more expensive.  My guess is that small 1 & 2 bedroom apartments in the central area of the small towns are the lowest cost. 

Michael

dannyjoe87

thanx for the info!

lajicama

Finding affordable housing is never a problem if you lower your expectations and are willing to welcome going back to the basics.  Having a garden in a small town is never a problem.  Go back to the basic; seek a town with awesome scenery, nature and solitude.  An average Tico Home in a small safe town will rent for about $250 dollars a month.  Furnishing these small simple homes with the basics is not a problem or too expensive.  If you have a clean record and need help, I can help you find something in my community located 2.5 hours from San Jose.

dannyjoe87

sure, I would be very interested to learn thank you! Not concerned with basic living, just clean and safer area.

lajicama

One of the benefits of getting out of the city is the idea of getting back to basics. Despite not having the convenience of  high end supermarkets, theaters or nightlife the day activities of  rural living (hiking, farming, rafting, canopy or simply bird watching)combined with the interaction of a warm and open community can get you back in the path of enjoying the simple things in life. Where buying eggs, dairy products, meats and grains organically grown from your neighbors at no extra costs.  I am sending you more info on a private message.

Pedro A

Hola, lajicama. Muy importante tus comentarios para ir conociendo más de Costa Rica, A  mediados de Octubre estaré por allí. Lo que aún me preocupa es saber donde alojarme en San Jose, por no más de $ 400 al mes. Te agradezco cualquier información que me puedas aportar. Saludos a todos!

lajicama

Pedro, el costo de vida en la ciudad es muy caro. Siento que es dos veces más cara que Estados Unidos si necesitas pagar colegios privados. Si tus gustos son simples y no necesitas museos, tiendas, buenas escuelas, y el bullicio de la ciudad (habrá quien se deprime si no lo tiene) te sugiero el campo. Con $400 en el campo tienes una linda casa (sin amueblar). Para darte ideas busca en costarica.es.craigslist.org
Suerte!

Harmonie

Hello!

Could you use only English on this Anglophone forum please so that everybody may understand and participate!

Thank you,
Harmonie.

mike6181

This is what Google says Pedro A. said (to be followed by Lagicama:

Pedro A:  Hello, lajicama. Very important to get to know your comments over Costa Rica in mid-October I will be there. What still worries me is knowing where to stay in San Jose, for not more than $ 400 a month. I appreciate any information I can provide. Greetings!

Lajicama:  Peter, the cost of living in the city is very expensive. I feel it is two times more expensive than the U.S. if you need to pay private schools. If your tastes are simple and do not need museums, shops, good schools, and the bustle of the city (who will get depressed if it does not) I suggest the field. With $ 400 in the field have a nice house (unfurnished). To give you ideas costarica.es.craigslist.org searches
Good luck!

jennthevexer

@lajicama:

My name's Jenni and a friend of mine and I are moving to CR from the US (Nashville,) in approximately a month. Could you send some information to me as well? I have made my lifestyle completely basic for years, even here in the US where it is unusual to do so. I always maintain my own garden wherever I live -- the idea of joining a community where I could grow things for my neighbors and vice verse is pretty much perfect to me. Any info would be truly appreciated! Thanks.

Vesco

During our own research of Costa Rica, we found that some information is not as evident as one would like. Specifically, info about crimes, safety, and security in the region of Santa Teresa is hard to come by and is rarely addressed in travel sites and reviews. For this reason, we have compiled some resources gathered from the US Embassy site and others with the hope that they will provide a better understanding of Costa Rica and its safety.

Bobby G

Hi Everone, I also i'm looking to live in CR.I will be on vacation at Filmingo beach resort in November and will be looking for and place to retire to.If anyone has info of towns near by that would be awsome.Good luck to all.

giniwishes

[Moderated: no free ads on the forum plz]

Articles to help you in your expat project in Costa Rica

All of Costa Rica's guide articles