Germany Traffic Ticket

Hello,

I recently received a red light violation fine from Cologne, Germany. The incident occurred in June, and in July, I received a letter from Köln Stadt with a picture of me driving the car and passing the traffic light. The letter stated that I would receive a 200 Euro fine. I was surprised because I'm usually very careful about traffic rules, and I haven't received any tickets in the Netherlands for the past four years.

However, I accepted the mistake and returned the form to Stad Köln because I didn't have any evidence to prove it wasn't me or that I didn't run the red light. Now, in September, they've sent me the actual invoice of 228.5 Euros and a one-month driving ban. They're asking me to submit my driving license to them within four months.

I've checked with RDW, and they don't have any information about this from Germany. The person I spoke to at RDW mentioned that if she were in my situation, she wouldn't submit the license to them.

Has anyone faced a similar situation, and is it really necessary to submit the license to them? I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences or thoughts on this matter.

Thank you,

VR

The only issue I can think of is if you return to Germany in the same car, the ANPR system will flag you up.  I wouldn't send them my licence.

@Cynic thank you. So do you think  this risk of flagging me will be for lifetime ifl i used the same car in Germany?

I live in The NL and I received a speeding ticket in Germany too when I went there for work. They had a picture of me in my car too.

I had no idea I was speeding and it wasn't until months later that they sent a letter to my address in The NL with the ticket.

I just threw it away and never heard from them again.

That was ... about 18 years ago. :)

Hi again.

I think there is a very real risk; that is how they tracked you down to begin with.  Perhaps not at border crossing points as most are now unmanned except for freight traffic.  That said we used to travel between Münster and Enschede and my wife got stopped for something she had done in Düsseldorf 3 years earlier.  I can only assume that the technology available to law enforcement people today has gotten much more advanced in the meantime.

My advice would be to go and speak to the ANWB; there is a section on their website (link) about this matter, but it's 4 years old and things may have changed.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

I live in The NL and got a speeding ticket in Germany too when I went there for work. They had a picture of me in my car too.

That was ... about 18 years ago. smile.png-@Becka A.

I did that about 5 years before you did; I had the Military Police come knocking on my door. 1f602.svg

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. I'd probably pay the fine, not send them my license, and then just not go back to Germany for at least a month.

@Cynic

Wow!

Well, that was three houses and four cars ago, and I no longer own a car ... so it would be interesting if they were to track me down after all these 18 years. :)

But yes, I agree the poster should pay the fine if there is a chance that the police will come knocking one day! :)

@vineethr2k

: Did you submit the license? Can you please explain the process?