Menu
Expat.com

ACRO CAUTION CRIMINAL RECIRD DELETED

Last activity 11 April 2024 by MrBigglesworth

Espanacarinios

My 20 year old caution has just been expunged / deleted by ACRO . They confirmed this via email after I requested that my caution be deleted . They stated that my fingerprints and biometrics have been deleted forever. It took about three months.

My question is when a apply for a new police clearance certificate must I disclose my past caution on the application form or should I answer NO where it asks if I was cautioned previously.

Anyone please advise. Thank you in advance

GuestPoster2492

Im no expert but from my understand on this...

If it was expunged you would have no further action but still have an arrest on your record. If it was deleted you would have no arrest or caution.

It think it would depend on what the visa asks, Spain asks "do you have a criminal record" for example which you now answer no to.

I believe your acro cert will now show no trace apposed to no live trace though, so I would guess there is no way of anyone knowing anything about it either way.

gwynj

@Espanacarinios

Their concern is criminal convictions (especially if they came with custodial sentences). Cautions are irrelevant (even more so if they've been deleted).

GuestPoster2492

@gwynj

Hi, I have a caution from 10/15 years ago. My acro states no live trace. I've been really worried about this with hopes of retiring to spain in the comming years.

With that in mind can I ask how sure are you / any info on the fact that cautions are irrelevant?

Thank you

gwynj

@asuch87

Quietly confident. :-)

If you're worried, I believe ACRO allows you to request both your certificate, and make a Subject Access Request so that they disclose all info held about you, even if it doesn't show on your certificate.

Then, in the event that anybody asks you, you also have the official document to show them.

GuestPoster2492

@gwynj thank you for the info. Gives a bit of hope smile.png

TinyTraveler123

@Espanacarinios

Did your caution get expunged or deleted?

I was wondering if expunged cautions still showed up on ACRO certificates?

I assumed deleted ones don't.

Espanacarinios

My caution was deleted. You are right. my latest  police clearance shiuld show NO TRACE. i ordered a new police clearance about 10 days ago. Lets see what it shows when i get it. i recommend tgat if anyone has a non violebt crime to immediateky apply to ACRO to have their CAUTION deleted especially if you are planning to apply for a NLV visa later

Espanacarinios

And thank you for your responses/feed back

davissgurban

Thanks for the advice

TinyTraveler123

TinyTraveler123

@Espanacarinios

Hi,

Ive applied to for ACRO records deletion aswell, i have just had a response "made the decision to delete your Police National Computer (PNC) record as well as your biometric information".

Im assuming thats the same response you got, just wondering what your ACRO certificate said in the end.

Im not sure if they are reffering to just the arrest information or the caution aswell, as its not clear in their response.

Thank you, A

stefanashby

It would be great to know the return cert when you get it  🤔

TinyTraveler123

@stefanashby

I have requested an acro certificate aswell, it should take upto 30 days to come though l. I will update on here once it has.

TinyTraveler123

I emailed acro and asked them directly. They have confirmed the arrest and the caution and dna/fingerprint/custody image have all been deleted. As far as I understand this will now just leave "no trace" on my acro.l but I will confirm.

MrBigglesworth

@TinyTraveler123

Hi, Tiny Traveler. I'm eager (As I'm sure so are you!) to see how you get on. Please could you let me know what steps / circumstances you might be happy to share, enabled you to apply to have the caution removed?

Many thanks in advance

TinyTraveler123

@MrBigglesworth

Hi,

So my caution and arrest has been deleted, im still waiting on my new acro cert to check it now shows "no trace" as i have no other arrests/cautiuons/convictions.

Ill update once its here.

I applied through the acro records deletion process.

On the form i ticked no crime, incorrect disposal and public intrest.

I also put a detailed account of the events leading up to the caution and why i think it aught to be deleted based on the them grounds.

In truth the request is very specific to your own circumstances, there isnt a standard deletions "reason".

It is the chief officer of the local force that will make the decision to delete or not, ultimately you are trying to convince them.

My advice to anyone in simlar position is:

Give it a try, what you got to loose - i didnt know if mine would be deleted, but here i am.

Obtain a subject access request from acro

Obtain a subject access request from the local police force that gave you the caution

Read the acro deletions request form

Read the acro deletions - national guidance document

Fill it out and submit it

MrBigglesworth

@TinyTraveler123

Thank you Tiny Traveler. I'm going to give it a go!

TinyTraveler123

@MrBigglesworth

I have just recieved my new acro and can confirm it now says "No Trace"

TinyTraveler123

@stefanashby

I have just recieved my new acro and can confirm it now says "No Trace"

MrBigglesworth

Thanks Tiny Traveler I will!!

MrBigglesworth

@TinyTraveler123

Oh wow, congratulations. Wish you the best of luck with your new life in Spain!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Getting married in Spain
    Getting married in Spain

Congratulations! You have found the partner of your dreams and want to get married in Spain. And why not? The ...

• Traveling to Spain
    Traveling to Spain

You're thinking about a new life abroad and all the opportunities it can bring, but before you relocate ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

All of Spain's guide articles