Menu
Expat.com

What do people do when they retire in VN?

Last activity 18 October 2023 by MyGuess

secedit

@qnbui

Stop being so dramatic and emotional; decisions are based on facts in the head and not in the heart.

There is nothing to do in Vietnam and you will get as bored as hell!  Keep your job and home in USA, and take 2-3 weeks long holiday in Vietnam to help you gauge what living here is like.  A phased approach is needed.

OceanBeach92107
    @qnbui
Stop being so dramatic and emotional; decisions are based on facts in the head and not in the heart.

-@secedit

A very British attitude.

THIGV

@secedit

Are you aware that qnbui is an overseas vietnamese who has already made several holiday trips in Vietnam?

@qnbui

Have you considered part-time freelance IT work?  Maybe just enough to "keep your feet wet" but not enough to be a burden.

OceanBeach92107
There is nothing to do in Vietnam and you will get as bored as hell!  Keep your job and home in USA, and take 2-3 weeks long holiday in Vietnam to help you gauge what living here is like.  A phased approach is needed.
    -@secedit

Is that you, Lady Grantham?

My first reaction is to say, "WTF??"

But instead I realized this is almost certainly a sad first-person account of life in Việt Nam when someone moves here for exploitation instead of assimilation.

The bubble isn't all it's cracked up to be...

secedit

@OceanBeach92107

Come on, that very silly introduction about his dog, and the subsequent response from another trying to assimilate his experience.

He is  in a good steady job; yes, he may be Viet overseas with experience of Vietnam - more-so he should not be asking the question!

From his posting he seems a bit lost - fully understandable, but don’t talk him into moving to Vietnam - he needs to decide in his own time. 

Think about weaknesses and limitations, and stop talking about positives - everybody already knows them!

Yoda0807

I guess for some the glass is always half empty.

Doesn’t matter where you are, you are as happy as you make it to be.

jayrozzetti23

@qnbui

-@secedit

Actually, I suspect hell is a bit more exciting and interesting than VN. Hopefully, i won't get the chance to find out.

In my experience, HCMC was mostly annoying 24/7, Vung Tau was quite pleasant but dull (Groundhog Day), and Hanoi not very memorable. The central region (Da Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang, etc.) is at least somewhat scenic, but that's where most tropical storms hit, which results in annual flooding.

However, there's no perfect place, so in the long run, maybe VN is the "best" place for the OP. I agree though that a slow approach should be taken with regard to moving there.

Aidan in HCMC
Actually, I suspect hell is a bit more exciting and interesting than VN.
    -@jayrozzetti23

I somehow doubt that hell has the beautiful women, the fantastic foods, the laissez faire attitude, and all of the delicious vices and distractions offered in Vietnam.

If it does, well then, slap my ass and call me a sinner. I'm in!

goodolboy

Actually, I suspect hell is a bit more exciting and interesting than VN.    -@jayrozzetti23

I somehow doubt that hell has the beautiful women, the fantastic foods, the laissez faire attitude, and all of the delicious vices and distractions offered in Vietnam.
If it does, well then, slap my ass and call me a sinner. I'm in!

-@Aidan in HCMC

1f923.svg

MyGuess

Sinners unite!!!

I'll decline the offer ***. I much prefer another's. And I'm perfectly happy to not find out....

Vietnam is great. Nothing to do? Meh, damn I must have been very lazy these past years 🤣

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Inappropriate.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles