Advantages of Hungary

I might repeat myself (please forgive me). Whereas Hungary might have some (big) disadvantages, it definitely has its pluses (and some of them I miss).

Pluses.

-to me the biggest plus is being part of EU (and Schengen)

.Driving license change

.Health Insurance

.Pensions

.Rules with properties

-Difficult to compare as I live now in Turkey (many things are the same such as in Hungary (please note NOT in the rest of the EU))

.Respect for elderly people (such as me) (not so much in other countries, but still a plus)

People complain about the state of health institutions, only thing I can say, I DISAGREE, I am/was actually quite happy

Neighbours (on the countryside) even if old they were very friendly and helpful.

Infrastructure (to me) is fine.

Shopping (provided you have a car) is EASY.

Home deliveries is easy to arrange (meat (50 kg at the time), wine (120 bottles), whiskey (24 LT), VERY VERY good hamburgers (Smokey Burger), cigarettes (300 packages) needed, but as we lived in a very large property also 300 LT of sparkling water).

Shopping is really for fruit/vegs/cat and dog food, but nothing too heavy or difficult....

Bottom line if you live in a village, you need a car, even for small things.

Public transport in a way is great, but timing is important, I used to deliver my wife to Heviz Lake (3 minutes drive), but the bus back comes ones per 30 minutes (by the way is not bad). 300 m from our property was a DIRECT line to Budapest (then again Budapest is big, in my view what to do then)

Too much time now, I probably make a post on the minuses as well

Conclusion for now Hungary is not too bad at all.

The Schengen Zone is pretty much over at the moment as more and more countries are putting border controls in place to tackle immigration smuggling gangs. 

@cdw057 Disadvantages, I am really thinking not too much, Hungary was good to us, still a few

-Service in shops not too polite at all as they are not interested in selling at all (but SPAR, LIDL, ALDI, ... (please note I do not want to mention Tesco) are effective), Other stores like clothes, make up (clearly not for me), ... are a different story.

-Very limited choice of restaurants  although the ones visited were good

-Nasty curious neighbours (having said that could happen everywhere)

-The cost of maintaining a huge garden

-My wife being happy with flowers, fruits and vegs, it can be difficult (I can, and do not want to do it)

-Being able to walk out of front door and being in the center or close the beach can be an advantage. Living close to Heviz Lake might sound very attractive (but as my wife does not drive, 3 km is not so close as it sounds. (also she falls when driving a bycicle (so no))

-I do not say a big minus, but even if restaurants are good, the staff to say at the least are a bit neutral.

The Schengen Zone is pretty much over at the moment as more and more countries are putting border controls in place to tackle immigration smuggling gangs. 

-@SimCityAT

i understand they can only suspend it 10 days. They have to explain themselves to Brussels after that.  A lot of it is security theatre, a determined group of interlopers are not going to be put off by a few extra cops.  There are plenty of places anyone can cross over without encountering a border "guard".

Things might get worse in HU and in Slovakia as regards EU cooperation. EU might bring some kind of sanctions to bear on those governments.  That's because, once again,  Orban here in HU vetoed the latest EU aid package to Ukraine blaming corruption.  Fico in Slovakia  was slightly less obvious and left the door open a bit but he also looks like he wants to veto it too.  Qualified majority voting might be brought to bear if applicable.

I'd like to know exactly what eldery is.

I am personally getting tired of hearing the news say  babies, children, men, women and elderly.

Like people of a certain age are no longer considered a female or male, just gender nutural and no longer part of society.

I take offence to the word elderly.

No one gets out of their seat to offer me a place to rest my ."old" bones so why should I put up with being called elderly?

Now if society treated people over 65 with the same respect I was taught to give then you could call me mud for all I care.Until then, I will not expect that word to discribe anyone.

I'd like to know exactly what eldery is.
I am personally getting tired of hearing the news say  babies, children, men, women and elderly.
Like people of a certain age are no longer considered a female or male, just gender nutural and no longer part of society.
I take offence to the word elderly.
No one gets out of their seat to offer me a place to rest my ."old" bones so why should I put up with being called elderly?
Now if society treated people over 65 with the same respect I was taught to give then you could call me mud for all I care.Until then, I will not expect that word to discribe anyone.

-@Marilyn Tassy

I agree. I cannot stand the word either.

None of the words is good, but "elderly" is especially fraught because it carries a sense of frailty and inability to care for oneself.

If for some reason a word has to be used, make it "older people."

@zif

Elderly is usually considered 65 and older , when social security age is reached.

I'm aboout to turn 69 in Dec.

I do NOT reguard myself as elderly.

I still rock skinny jeans and take care of myself. When I do shop for groceries alone, I use a packpack, not an old lady push cart.

I never am offered a seat on the bus even on  my bad knee days when I use a cane.

I usually am carrying a cane rather then using it but still...

Good as a weapon if not used for walking!

To my mind elderly is a housebound person who needs 24 hour home care.

My grandfather was nealry 95 when he died in his sleep.

I visited him when he was 92.

Still standing tall without using a cane.  Dressed neat as a pin with pressed clothing and shined shoes.He outlived all the nurses he dated over decades.

He moved into a VA hospital, no physical issues realy but since he was a vet from the Spanish-American war, he had perks that vets do not get these days. He had a rent free place to live, 3 meals a day and access to all his female nurses in the home.

He'd get a pass to leave for days and stay with family then go back for some peace inside the VA home.

Active with writting  for the homes newspaper and in general had a easy life in his older years without any stress.He never seemed elderly to me just older.

I think they are going to have to move the age much lower in these next few generations because from what I observe, most younger people can't stand on a bus or know how to walk on the st.. They are aging faster then ever by the looks of them.

I doubt too many of them are going to make it to even 65.

@zif
Elderly is usually considered 65 and older , when social security age is reached.

-@angelarobbins

In other words, "when society considers you a burden" because you are a useless eater?

No,it takes allot of smarts to live a long life.

What about people who live on welfare? They do less then a person for society then a person who worked over 40 years and finally gets a bit of time to chill out and enjoy life.

I get upset when people consider retired people as a drag on society.

The biggest scam in the world however is working in your most physically active years and when they beat the life out of you with work, they fianlly cut you loose.

All the time hoping and praying you drop before you collect any SS.

My plan is to live long enough to actually be a burden on society.

I'm aboout to turn 69 in Dec.I do NOT reguard myself as elderly.I still rock skinny jeans and take care of myself. When I do shop for groceries alone, I use a packpack, not an old lady push cart.I never am offered a seat on the bus even on  my bad knee days when I use a cane.I usually am carrying a cane rather then using it but still...Good as a weapon if not used for walking!To my mind elderly is a housebound person who needs 24 hour home care......I think they are going to have to move the age much lower in these next few generations because from what I observe, most younger people can't stand on a bus or know how to walk on the st.. They are aging faster then ever by the looks of them.I doubt too many of them are going to make it to even 65.        -@Marilyn Tassy

I agree, elderly is infirmity and mostly immobile.   I've been told in the past, it's 75 years old as a break even.  Everyone in reasonable health can manage up to about that age.  Not too far away for me, just 12 years.  That will fly by.

I think the younger ones are subjected to unhealthy food, lack of exercise, drink and even drugs.  I particularly have a thing about supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl and some of their products - full of sugar and salt!  Like pushers.  And I am sure they put sugar in bread.  Who needs sugar in bread? WTF?  All carbs anyway, a bit of a no-no.

When I'm at work, I've started to cut out lunch.  Probably not a good idea.

Just so there's absolutely no mistake about it, "elderly" is NOT 65 and over.

@zif

That is the definition in US.

Just so there's absolutely no mistake about it, "elderly" is NOT 65 and over.        -@zif

Agreed!

Pension ages are rising.  My retirement age is 67 currently.   

I reckon it could be ratcheted to become 70 by the time I'm 67 and that means if it keeps going up,  I could end up never reaching that famed pension.

They might be counting on that.  I kick the bucket before being eligible to claim.

If I had enough, I'd say I'd had enough and I'd blinking well retire right now, on the spot.

Sorry Angela, but no.

Here are some of the terms "elderly" brings to mind:

In one's dotage, long in the tooth, as old as the hills, grizzled, hoary, decrepit, doddering, not long for this world, senile, over the hill, wrinklies.

I can tell from own experience, over 60 is old, my mind is not as good as it was, my physics is not as good. Perhaps some people feel the same as 40, but definitely not for me (then again I smoke and drink). People die at a certain stage and that is fine and natural. To say over 65 is perfectly fine I can not agree. We have to accept and enjoy where we can, to pretend we are young (NO and again NO)

Just so there's absolutely no mistake about it, "elderly" is NOT 65 and over.        -@zif

Agreed!

Pension ages are rising.  My retirement age is 67 currently.   

I reckon it could be ratcheted to become 70 by the time I'm 67 and that means if it keeps going up,  I could end up never reaching that famed pension.

They might be counting on that.  I kick the bucket before being eligible to claim.

If I had enough, I'd say I'd had enough and I'd blinking well retire right now, on the spot.

-@fluffy2560

I plan on living as long as I can just to be a pain in the neck to the gov.

I've been close to death a few times and have zero fear of it but what the hay, why not go on as long as possible?

Yes, they. big bro do wish we'd all kick it by age 62 when at least for now, in the US one can get early retirement.

We both did that, kicking ourselves now because that is a 25% reduction in income. What the heck though, one never knows when the grim reaper will show up and it's nice to finally see being piad for not working. We both did physical sorts of jobs that took allot of skill and energy,mentally and physically.

Time they took care of us!

My step-father worked so hard from age 18 to his untimely death at age 43 and never collected a dime from his work. The good thing is my mother and his children collected for a few years. Dam US pres. Regan, he stopped SS benefits to children at age 18 when it had been up to age 21.

My mother didn't expect to get breast cancer and have to use up her savings to live.

That is one down side to having children later in life, just when it comes to a collage fund, some health issue comes up and the money is gone. Bad side of the US where hey do not care if you live or die.

My sister died at age 43, had worked since age 18, got nada from the US gov.

My beloved sweet brother died about 15 months ago at age 63. He was high income for a working class job. He made well over $100,000 per year and his wife made more then that.

No children, no tax write off... Never got a penny back for his long years of working night shift.

I mostly am left wing but when I see people taking advantage of the system collecting welfare when they are able to work, I am extremely right wing.

They have no idea who suffered so that they can sit around watching tv all day long and waiting for the checks in the mail.

I think once a person turns age 18 they should be given money to travel, explore and enjoy being young and then at age 30 or so, go to work.

@zif

I opened a Residential Care Home for Elderly In the US , so RCE, I know the definition of Elderly. It's only a neutral  term, It is not judgemmental. It only measures the years you llived.

I don't care at all about your background.

But if you are working with people older than you then you ought to be sensitive to language and be aware that many object to that word. To carry on using it and insist it's "neutral" when people do object does not show the sort of sensitivity I'd expect from someone working in this field.

@zif

Ridiculous

@zif
I opened a Residential Care Home for Elderly In the US , so RCE, I know the definition of Elderly. It's only a neutral  term, It is not judgemmental. It only measures the years you llived.

-@angelarobbins

What's RCE?

I plan on living as long as I can just to be a pain in the neck to the gov.I've been close to death a few times and have zero fear of it but what the hay, why not go on as long as possible?Yes, they. big bro do wish we'd all kick it by age 62 when at least for now, in the US one can get early retirement.....I think once a person turns age 18 they should be given money to travel, explore and enjoy being young and then at age 30 or so, go to work.       -@Marilyn Tassy

I hear you!

My Dad retired at 62 and lived to 99.    WW2 veteran, civil servant and so on. He got his money's worth from his government and work/private pensions over that final 37 years.  Obviously we believe he deserved it.

Our 18 year old has applied for a free rail ticket for all of Europe (EEA/EU) for one month in 2024. The EU is giving them away.  It's not much but it's something.

I like your plan. It's like Benjamin Button (movie). Live your life in reverse and end up with nothing. No pockets in a shroud.

@fluffy2560

Pardon me it's RCFE . It is a home  for Elderly  who  need assistance with daily activities. It is a private home with usually 6 Residents. Everything is provided by care givers.

@fluffy2560Pardon me it's RCFE . It is a home  for Elderly  who  need assistance with daily activities. It is a private home with usually 6 Residents. Everything is provided by care givers.        -@angelarobbins

Ok so it means Residential Care For the Elderly.

We wouldn't use that abbreviation in my own country.

We might call that a Nursing Home.  Or if in for shorter periods of temporary residence, Respite Care. Or even Assisted Living. Or Sheltered Housing if the residents are more independent (often with on-site warden).

6 residents sounds really small.  They are bigger operations in HU, I'd guess maybe 30 to 40+ residents.

I'm aboout to turn 69 in Dec.I do NOT reguard myself as elderly.I still rock skinny jeans and take care of myself. When I do shop for groceries alone, I use a packpack, not an old lady push cart.I never am offered a seat on the bus even on  my bad knee days when I use a cane.I usually am carrying a cane rather then using it but still...Good as a weapon if not used for walking!To my mind elderly is a housebound person who needs 24 hour home care......I think they are going to have to move the age much lower in these next few generations because from what I observe, most younger people can't stand on a bus or know how to walk on the st.. They are aging faster then ever by the looks of them.I doubt too many of them are going to make it to even 65.        -@Marilyn TassyI agree, elderly is infirmity and mostly immobile.   I've been told in the past, it's 75 years old as a break even.  Everyone in reasonable health can manage up to about that age.  Not too far away for me, just 12 years.  That will fly by.I think the younger ones are subjected to unhealthy food, lack of exercise, drink and even drugs.  I particularly have a thing about supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl and some of their products - full of sugar and salt!  Like pushers.  And I am sure they put sugar in bread.  Who needs sugar in bread? WTF?  All carbs anyway, a bit of a no-no.When I'm at work, I've started to cut out lunch.  Probably not a good idea.        -@fluffy2560

Last Friday some women and her kid on the bus were sneezing their heads off, I mean in rapid order without covering their faces.

Super spreaders!!

My husband was sitting just across from them and freaked out, told me to get up and we'd move.

Bus was too crowded to move so I refused since we also were getting out in 2 stops.

Next morning his nose is running, sneezing etc. Hasn't been out since last week.

The thing is I even with my sort of boarder line WBC didn't get ill.

I take a ton of vitamins and AHCC an immune booster made from mushrooms.

Seems they work after all.

I am suppose to see my onclogist about a recent CT scan but until I know we are not going to infect an ill person by accident, I'm not going in.

Wish more people like that silly cow on the bus thought more about other people then herself.

You'd think after what we all went through with C-19, people would learn to cover up when they are ill or better yet stay away.

I'm just thinking about the advantages of being in Hungary for this post.

In 2010 and 2013 when I purchased property prices were very cheap compared to the uk.

Utility bills , home internet and my phone contract have always been cheaper. Also no or very small council tax bills.

Public transport is brilliant in Budapest. I can also get a bus from my local mainline station to my cottage but I have to be mindful of the timetable, school openings and public holidays.

Another great advantage is that people tend to leave you in peace in the countryside and in my place in the city.

Although I do enjoy the hustle and bustle of spas,  galleries and museums and city life in general from time to time.

It's also a great place to have visitors especially in the warmer months.

My partner would also add cheaper tobacco and beer and the ambience of the local ale houses. But I am not that bothered.

In general I hate big cities, but where I live now it is fine, no crime, all amneties, essentially nothing to complain. Life in a village is very, very different with its own challenges, but I have to say also positives. (In a way I miss village life in Hungary).

On the other side in Alanya (Mahmutlar) also has its upsides (loads of restaurants (no foreign, but no different from Hungary), markets, supermarkets, barbers, butchers (lamb is a plus compared to Hungary), normal shops (for my wife( wool, clothes,..)

Anyhow my physics are not good as they were, so that is fine. Just walking to restaurants essantially and government offices.

I made some posts before, pluses and minuses everywhere, and health is not dependent on country I think.

After emboly infection I feel fine, hospitals, but especially staff are great. (one does need a good insurance though), I am home with a load of prescriptions every day (but one can expect with 60+)

Cigarettes are incredicbly cheap (still below EUR 2), restaurants are fine, although becoming more expensive over time (good dinner for 2 in Hungary I think it is EUR 60, here it is EUR 40), shopping in supermarkets, I think it is 50% cheaper thah in Hungary, local taxes I would say around the same level as in Hungary (ie very cheap). Electricity and gas even cheaper than in Hungary (climate).

Biggest expenses

-Restaurants (I like)

-Drinking (Jameson, a lot)

-Smoking (3 packages per day)

-Health Insurance

@anns

My husband is Fillipino. Are  there any groups for asian people?

I'm just thinking about the advantages of being in Hungary for this post.
In 2010 and 2013 when I purchased property prices were very cheap compared to the uk.
-@anns

They are still cheap compared to the UK

I suppose this is a good thread in which I can give my reasons for moving from Hungary to Croatia.

1) Language, I tried hard to learn Hungarian but sometimes people didn't even realise I was attempting to speak their language! Nobody in my village spoke English so I felt quite isolated. Croatia is more like the rest of Europe, with a fair proportion of people having some basic understanding of English.

2) Maintaining my 1.5 acres of land. In particular, meeting the requirements of the ragweed regulations. For me that involved hundreds of hours of work each year, as my land was planted out with Christmas trees.

3) My dog was not left in peace. Lots of people in the village kept aggressive guard dogs which would sometimes escape. Twice my elderly Basset hound was attacked by such dogs and seriously injured. I also sometimes got shouted at for taking my dog for walks. He did not bark but when they saw him it would set off the village guard dogs barking and people were complaining about that.

4) A minor point as I don't watch much TV but in Croatia television broadcasts, any English language content is subtitled whereas in Hungary it is dubbed.

I suppose this is a good thread in which I can give my reasons for moving from Hungary to Croatia.
1) Language, I tried hard to learn Hungarian but sometimes people didn't even realise I was attempting to speak their language! Nobody in my village spoke English so I felt quite isolated. Croatia is more like the rest of Europe, with a fair proportion of people having some basic understanding of English.

2) Maintaining my 1.5 acres of land. In particular, meeting the requirements of the ragweed regulations. For me that involved hundreds of hours of work each year, as my land was planted out with Christmas trees.

3) My dog was not left in peace. Lots of people in the village kept aggressive guard dogs which would sometimes escape. Twice my elderly Basset hound was attacked by such dogs and seriously injured. I also sometimes got shouted at for taking my dog for walks. He did not bark but when they saw him it would set off the village guard dogs barking and people were complaining about that.

4) A minor point as I don't watch much TV but in Croatia television broadcasts, any English language content is subtitled whereas in Hungary it is dubbed.

-@fidobsa

Pleased to see you back fidobsa 1f600.svg

I'd forgotten about the ragweed. I'm allergic to that one so quite keen it's kept down.

I am convinced that  stupid TV dubbing is of nationalist origin and one of the reasons HU countryside people are terrible in foreign languages and Croatians (and other FRY people) are so good at it.

To me YouTube and Netflix were sufficient, nowadays, easy to get via TV. A gardening of course is a different topic.

For dogs, just fencing is sufficient as per my experience.

I think Croatia is more expensive?

christof001 on youtube in Hungary (even if I left), a good gardener 6 x per year is sufficient.

@angelarobbins

I find that the best multi cultural ex pat groups are on Facebook.

I have joined a few.

We are mainly found in Budapest

To me YouTube and Netflix were sufficient, nowadays, easy to get via TV. A gardening of course is a different topic.
For dogs, just fencing is sufficient as per my experience.
I think Croatia is more expensive?
christof001 on youtube in Hungary (even if I left), a good gardener 6 x per year is sufficient.

-@cdw057

We've got something like 200 channels and none of them are worth watching. 

The HU ones are inane kids, BS govt news, talk or cooking shows.  I don't care about any of that so I don't watch broadcast TV any more.  Mrs Fluffy and our youngest watch some shows but it's looks to me like braindead programming.

Mostly I listen to the radio a lot via the Internet. 

I also download British BBC programmes on Iplayer using a VPN. I intend to watch them later but quite often they just expire as I've been busy with other stuff.  C'est la vie.

If you have the internet you have everything! 

@annsMy husband is Fillipino. Are  there any groups for asian people?        -@angelarobbins

I see many Chinese people everyday in Budapest. Also people from Vietnam and now many from India.

Not so sure if they are to be found in the countryside or not.

My DIL is Japapese and personally I wouldn't want her to live here.

Almost 50% or more of our US Hungarian friends have Asian wives.

We had a HU lady friend in Ca. who's husband was from Korea .

Mostly Japanese  though because they live in Hawaii.

A few are from the Phillipines but they all live in the US.

My cousin lives in the Phillipines and his wife is a local. They just moved back there from the  US where they lived together for about 7 years. She wanted a taste of the US and it seems it wasn't what she liked.

I have another cousin from my dad's branch who has been married for nearly 30 years to a lady from the Phillipines, all their chidlren and grandchilren are mixed race.They live in N Ca.

My Ruysn/Italian first cousin and his wife visited us in HU 2 times a couple years back. His wife is from Thailand and  she had no issues at all. They also were here only a few days and did tourist things.

My newphew is in the Phillipines visiting his uncle ATM. He just got engaged to his aunts cousin.

All in the family.

He is American and I'm not usre of their plans, if she will come to the US or if he will move to stay in Asia.

He has a good job in the US so I bet he will bring her to the states.

About Hungary, I think many people here are a bit racist.

I had a black friend living here from the US and she ran into issues all the time.

Many people asumed she was a sex worker for some reason, not even close.

Many doctors told her they wouldn't see her, that she needed a doctor that treated black people.

IDK, sounds very crazy to me but she swears it is true.

She is gone now from Hungary.

This happened over a 5 year period with her in Budapest.

She said even immigration tld her insane things like Hungary doesn't want black people from the US. Again, IDK what to think or say about that.

In the 90's several of our HU friends from Hawaii brought their Japanese wives and mixed children to Hungary for summer holidays.

I'm not kidding, after one visit here, they always sent their husbands and children alone on visits to Hungary. They refused to come here again.

Too many stares and people just acting strange towards them.

I know these ladies and they were a bit shy and sensitive types so there's that.

Their children learned to speak Hungarian and often spent summers in Szeged with their grandparents so it looks like the children could handle themselves fine here, just not their mom's.

In fact one time in the 90's my husband, son and I were going to visit Hungary with a HU guy his wife and their baby.

Last min. his wife chickened out because of what happened with her in HU before.

I decided to not go if she wasn't going and instead I invited her and her baby to stay for awhile in my home in Ca. and we let our husbands visit Hungary by themselves.

I'd look for a ex-pat group in Hungary and find out what other people have experienced here with being Asian.

They do have a large Chinese popultation here and a China Town area but that's not the same as Fhillipino.

It also makes a differnce I'd think as to what age a persn is. A collage student from Asia will have a different experience then an older person will have.

Wish I could give a more positive chat.

I'm American and not so much any longer but for a long time people were always staring at me too. My husband would tell me not to worry, they had never seen a ,"white person" before. His crazy humor, dead pan and off beat. I'm 86% caucasian and very pale faced but... I don't look Anglo/Saxon much either.  It gets old being looked at all the time.

They do have a large Chinese population here and a China Town area but that's not the same as  Filipinos.
It also makes a difference I'd think as to what age a person is. A collage student from Asia will have a different experience then an older person will have.
Wish I could give a more positive chat.
I'm American and not so much any longer but for a long time people were always staring at me too. My husband would tell me not to worry, they had never seen a ,"white person" before. His crazy humor, dead pan and off beat. I'm 86% Caucasian and very pale faced but... I don't look Anglo/Saxon much either.  It gets old being looked at all the time.

-@Marilyn Tassy

There's quite a large detachment of Koreans in Budapest as well.  It's quite popular for them and there's even a Korean club/pub.  Our18 year goes to it as she's learning Korean and wants to practice her language skills - people now know who she is there as she's obviously speaking English and Hungarian perfectly and is passable in Korean.  Those Korean people are in a privileged position - they work in Korean conglomerates and are well looked after by their companies.    Even Korean music stars come to Budapest to do filming/music videos.

I work with many different people in different countries and I don't notice any more what they look like. I'm often the odd one out.  Only one time have I personally experienced racist behaviour. It was in a Caribbean country and I'm a 60+ white person.  Not the usual target one might think.  It's truly awful, even baffling and degrading. Now I can imagine how people who are different in some way to the majority feel. 

I see Asian people in my street sometimes passing by in their sports gear. I say hello to them (in English usually).  I don't think any of my neighbours do that.

My son is starting to tell us not everyone in Japan is happy to see his face.

Most people are cool but every so often someone looks like they are upset just by him being alive.

Usually it happens when he is alone, when he is with his wife it never has happened.

They aren't that bad here in Hungary I don't think.

He speaks  Japanese  but it not perfect.

He says it's allot easier to learn then Hungarian is.

My son is starting to tell us not everyone in Japan is happy to see his face.Most people are cool but every so often someone looks like they are upset just by him being alive.Usually it happens when he is alone, when he is with his wife it never has happened.They aren't that bad here in Hungary I don't think.He speaks  Japanese  but it not perfect.He says it's allot easier to learn then Hungarian is.        -@Marilyn Tassy

Yes, I can imagine about Japan.   Anyone who is different is either exotic or potentially toxic with odd values and behaviours.  They wouldn't do it when his wife is there as she'll admonish them quickly enough as she would detect (passive) aggressiveness.

I think it would happen in HU the other way around. Hungarians are generally isolationist and xenophobes. Consequence of being on the wrong side each time and invaders always appearing on the doorstep.  The anomalies are the ones who left.

It wouldn't happen where there are diverse populations and it's normal to see many different people.   No-one cares. Everyone should be more polite and inclusive.  Doesn't make any sense really to behave otherwise. 

One reason we like Vegas, anything goes and no one cares who is who or where they came from.

Many people go there to start life over again from many diverse places.

I worked with people from all over the world, all different religions and we all got on without any silly issues. ( It was us against the players!)

I used to do hours of yoga, no one can feel anything negative about anyone in a yoga class.

My  ex BIL grew up in Honolulu , his father was a high ranking officer in the USMC.

He went to high school there. Hated it so much that he refused to visit for ages as an adult even though his parents kept a holiday condo over there after they moved back to the mainland.

It's called,"pound one Howlie day" any caucasian in sight was beat up after school on those,"special" days. They happened at random.

Black people were picked on too but not as much. They had a special name for them, not Howlie but Papolo, not sure about the spelling.

My friend in Hilo's daughter was a school teacher in Honolulu for just a short time. She is half Japanese and a quater or so black but still, the students were so rough she couldn't take it. Quit teaching and never went back to it.

They to be fair had names for everyone of every race on earth and weren't afraid to use them.

I had a few horrible encounters in Hilo and so did my son.

Other Islands were much nicer then the Big Island that way.

Hilo is full of druggies and welfare cases... Just saying many were living on the edge and hated life and took it out on anyone who was different.

Many sweet people there too.

The weird thing is my husband with his HU accent and all was never bothered by anyone.

They actually liked him allot, some strange dude to them.