Cost of living in Hungary

I am seeing the prices for food and other things in Hungary. Is the cost of living still cheap in Hungary? I know it depends on your lifestyle but just considering a medium level lifestyle, is it still cheaper than the US ( without rent included) ?

I am seeing the prices for food and other things in Hungary. Is the cost of living still cheap in Hungary? I know it depends on your lifestyle but just considering a medium level lifestyle, is it still cheaper than the US ( without rent included) ?

-@angelarobbins

I wouldn't have said so.   Then again, it's just different.

Inflation is high here and with the US-Hungarian tax treaty ending very soon, you could pay a whopping withholding tax on a US pension paid abroad (i.e. in HU). 

We reckon food prices have doubled in the past year.  And there's VAT on food.

The only things which might be cheaper would perhaps be energy costs (not fuel for cars or electricity) and maybe healthcare IF you are entitled to use it.   Wine can be very cheap if you want it.  Human based services like vehicle servicing, dentists and hairdressers will be cheaper.

The economy and the politics are not great. It's surviving but people are really under pressure.   There is also a shortage of people here.  Many educated people with saleable skills have left for jobs in other countries and taken their children with them where they can get 3 x the money and a better life.  They now are importing labour from other countries in Asia.

I am seeing the prices for food and other things in Hungary. Is the cost of living still cheap in Hungary? I know it depends on your lifestyle but just considering a medium level lifestyle, is it still cheaper than the US ( without rent included) ?        -@angelarobbins

I wouldn't have said so.   Then again, it's just different.

Inflation is high here and with the US-Hungarian tax treaty ending very soon, you could pay a whopping withholding tax on a US pension paid abroad (i.e. in HU). 

We reckon food prices have doubled in the past year.  And there's VAT on food.

The only things which might be cheaper would perhaps be energy costs (not fuel for cars or electricity) and maybe healthcare IF you are entitled to use it.   Wine can be very cheap if you want it.  Human based services like vehicle servicing, dentists and hairdressers will be cheaper.

The economy and the politics are not great. It's surviving but people are really under pressure.   There is also a shortage of people here.  Many educated people with saleable skills have left for jobs in other countries and taken their children with them where they can get 3 x the money and a better life.  They now are importing labour from other countries in Asia.

-@fluffy2560

So I could not really live a better life if i have 3000$ budget than in America ?  i hear people saying you could have a good life living off that amount but it doesnt sound like it anymore. Is that correct ?

I am seeing the prices for food and other things in Hungary. Is the cost of living still cheap in Hungary? I know it depends on your lifestyle but just considering a medium level lifestyle, is it still cheaper than the US ( without rent included) ?        -@angelarobbinsI wouldn't have said so.   Then again, it's just different.Inflation is high here and with the US-Hungarian tax treaty ending very soon, you could pay a whopping withholding tax on a US pension paid abroad (i.e. in HU).  We reckon food prices have doubled in the past year.  And there's VAT on food.The only things which might be cheaper would perhaps be energy costs (not fuel for cars or electricity) and maybe healthcare IF you are entitled to use it.   Wine can be very cheap if you want it.  Human based services like vehicle servicing, dentists and hairdressers will be cheaper.The economy and the politics are not great. It's surviving but people are really under pressure.   There is also a shortage of people here.  Many educated people with saleable skills have left for jobs in other countries and taken their children with them where they can get 3 x the money and a better life.  They now are importing labour from other countries in Asia.        -@fluffy2560

-@angelarobbins

So it is not possible to retire in hungary and  have a better life ? I mean moneywise.

So it is not possible to retire in hungary and  have a better life ? I mean moneywise.

-@angelarobbins

What is your income?

I would have a target goal of 2300$, no rent.

I would have a target goal of 2300$, no rent.

-@angelarobbins

You are going to learn the local currency

2300 Dollars =

831,124.71 Hungarian Forints

2,170.7064 Euros

I'd say $2,300 per month without paying rent is very decent here in Hungary.

If you don't eat at restuarants too very often or have an expensive habit.

We are planning soon to go into the HU tax office and try to get more info on the FACTA tax ruling.

It could be a game changer if they decide it's fair game to tax US SS here in HU as income.

I'm not sure exactly what the tax rate is but it is somehwere arund 27%!!

We would leave it that happens.

As it stands now we are able to save every month but if they change the ruling on SS then it wouldn't work out for us that well.

I'll post if and when we ever get there and find out anything.

Seems like we are either very busy or have free time on our hands all at once.Busy this week.

I asked my husband what they call a retirement home in HU. He has to think about it, he speaks perfect Hungarian but after living in the US for more then 40 plus years, some words fail him as he never used them in the past.

So if one of you is from the US and the ther is HU like in our case there are a few things that may cme up.

It seems immigration isn't really in love with Americans that much these days. They are tough with giving a long term resident permit. A one year permit is easy enough but when it comes to longer ones they seem to drag their feet handing it out. At least that was the case with us over 14 years ago. I still feel burnt about how it went down.

First off be sure to not only bring your marriage certificate but go into or e-mail the city hall where you were married and ask for a copy of the form you filled out to get your marriage liecense in the first place. Our's went all the way back to 1978.

It seems easier to prove you live with someone for a few years then to prove you've been in a legal marriage for decades.

As far as health coverage goes with national health ...

You both must wait a full year to be able to join.

If you are a HU citizen then you could slide if you wished as far as I know with just not having coverage for the year and just paying out of pocket if and when you need anything medical.

As for as the US citizen goes, you will have to buy private health coverage for the first year. Part of the rules of immigration.

US medicare is not excepted here so you will need to contact SS in the US and cancel part B or be willing to pay every month for something you can't use here.

If you plan on going back to the US often and want to keep part B they will take it out monthly from you SS payment.

Also using the naitonal heath is frustrating to figure out the system. It's easy enough for seeing your GP but with more serious issues they run you all over the place for tests etc. and each clinic is slightly differnt with how they handle things.

Unfortunaltly I experienced a serious illness 2 years ago and still have a time going in for follow up visits with being sent here and there.

Have to read all paperwork with a fine tooth comb because they may send you to differnt places then you were sent to in the past.

Also recenty in a large medical clinic near us they have posted a notice that you much speak Hungarian to check -in or bring a translator with you.

The none HU speaking partner is limited with being dependant on the HU speaking partner.

Even with an appointment they may not take you if a HU speaker isn't there when you just sign a form, other times they don't make an issue out of it.

Confusing so many times.

Car insurnace is really cheap here but then it depends on what sort of coverage you want. We have the min. since our car is old and we don't take chances driving in winter etc. My husband was a pro driver for a long time and knows how t drive defensive.

So many wild drivers here now days.

Home insurance is cheap too but I doubt they actually pay out much if you ever make a claim.

It's different here also for thse of us who are retired. People tend to see right through you like you no longer matter. In the US that isn't the case, I've never felt that there.

We probably spend a good $300. to $400 per month of food.

That includes cleaning products.

We always cook at home for our health.

Cable and tv with basic HU channels is about 6,000  forints per month.

Power, water and gas are much more reasonable then in the states.

It's over all cheap here with a US income but if they change the tax ruling in Jan. it's not really a good deal any longer to be here.

Oh yes, national health coverage is less then $75. per month for 2 people.

It includes allot of dental work but not the lab work with dentists.

Seniors get a very slight discount on meds, I'm not sure how much though, don't take any meds.

The nice thing is you never get a hospital bill but they also don't always give you the best unless you pay extra for it. I had shots in each knee at the orthopedic clinic. Had to pay out of pocket for the shots which are not coveraged with the TAJ insurance, national health. Was an extra nearly $400. under the table in the doc's pocket.

If you aren't willing to pay for these extras then you just go without.

No law sayng they must give these shots under the naitonal health plan.

Just saying, be ready for the unexpected to happen here.

@Marilyn Tassy

thank you for your answer. that gives me really a good idea.

@angelarobbins USD 3 K pm is more than good, even if you smoke and drink, we had our own property, so not rent. I counted USD 3 K pm (gardener, alcohol, cigarettes, restaurants, 3 K  USD is more than fine (without rent).

Comfortable living I would say.

@cdw057

thank you so much

@angelarobbins USD 3 K pm is more than good, even if you smoke and drink, we had our own property, so not rent. I counted USD 3 K pm (gardener, alcohol, cigarettes, restaurants, 3 K  USD is more than fine (without rent).
Comfortable living I would say.

-@cdw057

I agree with those numbers.  The minimum to live OK would be about 2.5K USD without rent (own house).  Being paid in a foreign currency that's stable a real advantage the Hungarians paid in HUF do not have.

There's high inflation in Hungary - food prices particularly seem to have doubled in the past year but one can shop around.  There's shrinkflation as well - the price is the same but the packages are smaller.  Aldi discount store do that noticeably.  Like butter was 250g packets and now is 200g.

Energy costs are somewhat subsidised but how long they can keep that up, who knows.  It's all going to catch up with the government. Not clear if the Russian run upgraded nuclear power station is going online anytime soon.

Gas (petrol) is about 630 HUF a litre locally but can be much higher on the highways (autopalya).  Diesel is maybe 650 HUF as it pollutes more.

200 TV channels (only a few genuinely watchable, some in English), internet (250/12 Mbps) and house phone from a cable company around 12K HUF/month.  Mobile phone with Internet and more or less unlimited text and calls within HU (and use same in EU roaming) about 10K HUF/month.  There are special offers with two phones for that amount.   

Car insurance has become very expensive for all risks (Casco) at 70K HUF, basic is about 50K HUF.  North of 100K HUF per year for the top packages.   It's becoming harder to get Casco.

House insurance is odd.  Upper limit seems to be 130M HUF at the moment.  Must be what they think is the materials cost BUT materials have rocketed in price since the pandemic.  It's not keeping up with rebuilding costs.

VAT is dire at 27%.  Austria is 19%.  So big ticket items can be had at more of a discount in Austria just on 8% VAT differences. And Austria has far more choice. Germany has yet more.   For small expensive items like cameras or computers or iPhones, 

it can be cheaper just going to Austria for the day (2.5h or 250km from Budapest) or spending a weekend for fun in Munich (6h there, 6h back and closest big city to visit).   Sometimes we go to Vienna to Ikea - they have more choice.  And they also have Primark (cheap clothing chain, kids like it).  Munich also has really big names for concerts who don't come to Budapest (which has smaller venues).

@fluffy2560

thank you so much

@fluffy2560

how much is private health insurance and how does it work? my husband is 69 and I am 55 ?

@fluffy2560how much is private health insurance and how does it work? my husband is 69 and I am 55 ?        -@angelarobbins

There are many health insurance plans here.

They even have one we've hear of called the ,"Golden Plan" that is for citizens and legal residents. It's part of the naitonal health but top grade. Heard years ago it was something like $1,000 per month per head.

Not sure if it was  legit or what, hardly ever hear about it. Must be for politicians and their familes.

Regular naitonal health costs this year just under 10,000 a person per month.

They raise the rates a bit each year.

The first year in Hungary even HU citizens returning to HU who are not in the plan yet and haven't paid in have to wait a full year to use it.

With my husband it went like this.

He paid in monthly for the first year back in Hungary but was not allowed to use it.The second year he didn't have to pay for the year and could use the plan. The 3rd year he paid monthly and could use it.

As a US citzen married to a HU citizen I had to buy my own health coverage the first year. It's part of what is required with immigration, no way around it.

The second year in HU I was in the plan , could use it and paid monthly for it.

Many people use a co. called,"Generalli" to make it with immigration requirements. They are only good on paper. They don't really cover anything.

I paid about $250. for the full year but that was over a decade ago. No idea what their yearly fee is these days.

They even handed out fliers at immigration for their services.

Again, you will find they don't really cover anything, maybe if you break your leg on a Thursday if the Tursday falls on the 3rd week of the month in an odd year.

My friend bought their upgraded health plan for herself and her father. They still were not covered for anything. IDK if she was too sensitve or what but they wouldn't take her coverage at any doctors office she went to.

They paid for the plan for 5 years and never really were able to use it. Always had to pay out of pocket for any medical services.

In the end it was sad, her father passed during covid and she was charged for the 2 1/2 days i he was in the hospital. Her plan said they paid for hospital stays but they didn't.

Still they are cheaper then most plans as long as you know they aren't real and cover nothing.

At the time over a decade ago, I noticed any real health palns cost an average of about $250 -$300.per month per person. 11 times more then a year with Generalli.

Doctors are allot more reasonable to visit paying out of pocket here as long as you don't need special care.

I have no idea how Generalli is still in business, they have nice new offices around town.

In any case it's only a year of waiting for national health.

They used to excpet tips under the table with national health but it's suppose to be illegal now. That being said they still have ways of getting around it.

I mentined before I had shots in my knees at the ortho doc.

They tell you about the shots but the national health doesn;t cover the medication. I paid out of pocket $400. for 2 shots.

The alternative if you don't pay is to live with the pain .

You are allowed legall to gift a doctor up to the amount of 45,000 forints worth of gifts. No sure if that includes cash or not.

I had out patient eye surgery and my doctor tld me to put my money away fast when I offered it to her. Some have no problem taking it and others don't.

I dislike playing that game but some doctors and dentists are still old school and expect extras.

They say if you offer a tip you and the doctor could be fined and face jail time. We really are confused as most people are about this subject.

Some medications are very low cost here and other are as much as anywhere else.

I know my shots in the US were about $1,500 each without insurnace.

Not sure if insurnace in the US would cover them or not thugh.

It's a puzzle here, even local Hungarians don't understand the system fully.

Funny story.

Before the new tipping rules my husband had a small hernia surgery.

No one knew excatly what to tip and who to tip but we knew you had to tip.

My husband said he wanted to make sure he woke up post surgery so he had cash ready to tip the surgeon.

They strip you naked here for surgery.

My husband had been given a shot to fall asleep and had about $300. in his hand to tip the doc with. He was wondering what to do with the cash before he crashed out. Only one place to shove it!!

Thankfully the staff came in and he was able to hand the cash to someone, not sure if the students went out for pizza that night with the cash or if the doc got it?

I had knee surgery 11 years ago, handed my surgeon cash before I crashed, not exactly clean room to handle cash before surgery though.

Post surgery a therapist came in my room to show me how to get around up and down stairs with crutches. She was cold and hard until we tipped her, then it was all smiles.

I shared my room with a poor old HU lady who had broken her hip.

She was in her 80's. They put the weird foreigner and the old lady together in a room down the hall out of the way with no tv set.

All good, she was a quiet room mate except for the crying.'They took away her call button and her pull up bar over her bed.

Before my surgery she spilled her tin full of coins for tipping her nurses.

I crawled around picking them up for her.

Her grandson came everyday to see how she was and I know they tipped too but they were so mean with her. They probably had enough of her ringing for help too often so removed her call button. Seems illegal to me but this is not the US.

I was mortified for her .

I only stayed in for 28 hours but the morning post surgery they sent in a male orderly to help 2 nurses change her sheets and bed pan.

I swear it was horrible.

They put her used bed pan near the head of my bed for nealry an hour! They moved her onto another bed while they changed her bedding, they entire time she was buck naked  her bottom was out and they left the room door open for the world to view her. It was so embarrassing.

The morning before hand when I was being taken in for my operation they had sent in that same strange male orderly.

I was told to put on my PJ's and wait in my bed until my surgery time.

I did that, he came in and ripped back my coverings and started to tug and pull at my socks and clothing.I was mad, I pushed him away and pulled the sheet over me to get naked.He wouldn't leave my side.

They gave me a sheet and I made sure he didn't touch me again. I told him to turn around but he kept looking with bug eyes at me while I undressed.

It's creepy to say the least.

The service  is a bit off here never experienced anything so odd in the US in a hospital and we've been in LA county hospital.

I know I've been long winded but health care is a serious topic .

One thing I forgot to mention is that when my husband wanted his hernia surgery we first contacted a private surgey clinic.

We were willing to pay whatever it cost for him to get in and out quickly and have a good result.

Well, they pick and chose who they will take.

They want zero risk.Since my husband had high BP they wouldn't take him or any risks.

That's something to think about.

We had no choice but to go with the national health.

It worked out fine, he did have to stay in hospital for about 4 days, over the weekend.

Shared his room with 6 other men. One was in bad shape with cancer and one was insance.

Some Turkish guy had a tummy ache from eating "bad Chinese" in Switzerland.

That was the story with him.

They gave him medications to help his tummy, he went out of control by hogging the one mens' restroom for himself for hours, forcing others who had surgery to walk down the hall to a public one if needed. Then he had the stupidity of not staying in the WC and letting it go wild  in the middle of the room!

Cleaning crew was called in but man, the smell lingered for days on end.

I am not lying, I brought incense , perfume and a swimmers nose plug when I visited my husband. it was a nightmare for those really ill men in that room.

It was winter and they had to keep the window open all the time.

In any case many of these private clinics work with the national health and you get the same doctors in private care as in public.

Most public doctors moonlight for a second income.

@Marilyn Tassy 

So do private insurance niot cover hospital stays?

@Marilyn Tassy 

Would we have to stay the first year in hungary to be able to apply for the national insurance ?

@Marilyn Tassy  Would we have to stay the first year in hungary to be able to apply for the national insurance ?        -@angelarobbins

It's been over a decade and my memory is not accurate at times but as far as I remember with getting your resident permit to stay in HU you can't leave HU for more then a alloted time. Maybe it was 90 days?

Almost like being a hostage of Hungary! That was for the first 5 year permit of time  with a temp. resident card.After 5 years you can apply for a perm. 10 year card with a bit more flexiblity.

You are suppose to tell immigration if you'r out of HU longer then that and get a sort of permission to return.

You'd really have to ask with immigration, they are always changing the rules.

Of course that's only for the non- HU citizen not for a dual citizen.

I  know even with my now 10 year perm resident for HU I'm not suppose to leave for more then a year without checking in with them first.

They like to keep tabs on people.

So the one year of waiting for naitonal health is connected in some ways to rules with immigration.

It is confusing and no ne in immigration takes the time of effort to explain every detail with you, hire a lawyer is what they'd tell you if you had to many questions.

Have to read the paperwok that they mail out and figure it out on your own really.

It's that way with everything here, figure it out on your own. No one bothers to help much.

If your not in the EU they refer you as a 3rd country national and have different rules for us.

@Marilyn Tassy  So do private insurance niot cover hospital stays?        -@angelarobbins

IDK, every policy is different .

The Generalli coverage had some items they said they covered but in reality, good luck.My friend paid for they premium plan for 5 years and never got to use it.

Everytime she wanted a gyno visit or a dental visit they told her they didn't except her plan.

Her father wasn't in the best health when they moved here and I feel is was a diservice to him to bring him here with his health issues.

He got ill during covid and they basically didn't do anything in hospital for him, so she said.

They told her he had sepsis and was going to die. They just gave him a bed for 2 1/2 days. Charged her over $1,200 for the use of the bed. It was horrible for her to be all alone here and hear that news. It was lockdown time and we couldn't really help much. We tired making phone calls for her but it didn't help.

She had a huge loud argument with the staff and they threw her out of the hospital!

It was terrible really. He passed and my HU speaking husband and I tried to help her with arragements for his body. Didn't work out, the US embassy and the US Navy didn't help either. He was an ex-vet.

Not really any prove but she insists they were against them because they are black people and they were racist. IDK, might be somewhat true, that is her experience and no one can argue she didn't feel  everyone was agianst them.

The US embassy did give her a list of $100. per hour lawyers to contact, that's it.

My best advice is if you're experiencing any health issues  is don't come here.

Another word of advice is, don't mean to be noisy but if as you stated you are only 55 years old then the only income would be coming from your husbands SS?

I know my sister's husband died a couple years ago and she was a bit younger then 55. She can't claim any of her husbands SS until she is 60 years old as a widow.

My friend found herself in a bad place because her father was her only source of income as his caretaker. He was gone and the checks were stopped. ( They move fast when it comes to paying out to people but are of little use when you need them. She couldn't figure out how they knew so quickly that he was gone)

She is doing OK now and has moved out of HU.

I only mentioned Generalli insurance because immigation seems to help promote the co.

They had fliers hanging all over poles and were giving out out-outs with their info.

@Marilyn Tassy  Would we have to stay the first year in hungary to be able to apply for the national insurance ?        -@angelarobbinsIt's been over a decade and my memory is not accurate at times but as far as I remember with getting your resident permit to stay in HU you can't leave HU for more then a alloted time. Maybe it was 90 days?Almost like being a hostage of Hungary! That was for the first 5 year permit of time  with a temp. resident card.After 5 years you can apply for a perm. 10 year card with a bit more flexiblity.You are suppose to tell immigration if you'r out of HU longer then that and get a sort of permission to return.You'd really have to ask with immigration, they are always changing the rules.Of course that's only for the non- HU citizen not for a dual citizen.I  know even with my now 10 year perm resident for HU I'm not suppose to leave for more then a year without checking in with them first.They like to keep tabs on people. So the one year of waiting for naitonal health is connected in some ways to rules with immigration.It is confusing and no ne in immigration takes the time of effort to explain every detail with you, hire a lawyer is what they'd tell you if you had to many questions.Have to read the paperwok that they mail out and figure it out on your own really.It's that way with everything here, figure it out on your own. No one bothers to help much.If your not in the EU they refer you as a 3rd country national and have different rules for us.    -@Marilyn Tassy

Yup, 3rd country nationals get it in the neck.

After Brexit, I'm a 3rd country national BUT I still have EU legacy rights from the Withdrawal Agreement (we refer to it as Article 50 rights - it appears directly on my Residence Permit).  I think I can leave for a number of years without a problem and come back.  Not very useful to know in this case.  Some 3rd country nationals are more equal than others.

If Angela has an EU or HU passport, she'll be OK in Hungary (or anywhere in the EU for that matter).  If I had a choice, I'd probably consider Croatia or Cyprus.  Hungary wouldn't be that high on my list.

Now that I'm more awake, yes, you are put on a suspension if you leave HU that doesn't count towards your time in HU.

To become a HU citizen you must live physically in HU for a min. of 8 years.

Makes sense then that anytime out of HU is put on hold towards  becoming a citizen and also being allowed to apply for national health, AKA TAJ.

They had me get a HU tax ID number, as well as having an address card to get into the TAJ office and apply for national health.

They checked the dates of entery into HU etc. My immigration status as well.

No problem if your are a HU citizen, still have to wait the full year to apply but they must except you if you are a citizen in good standing with the payments.

All others are considered as lucky to be excepted.

Everytime you visit a doctor the clerks check online to see if your payment is updated.

If inot a red light shows up.

It is a sort of mix between old old social system and something new.

Many offices are fianlly handing out numbers when in the past it was crazy. You'd have to ask who is the last in line and then go in after that person. Still is that way in smaller offices.

"Who's Next"?

Used to get mad when some pushy person would squeeze in and say "I just need to ask a question really fast" Then they would be in for an hour...

Since covid they take more appointments then walk-ins.

@fluffy2560

I am applying for my hungarian citizenship. I was born in Vojvodina with hungarian grandparents .

@angelarobbins

I will also get disability income from US.

@fluffy2560
I am applying for my hungarian citizenship. I was born in Vojvodina with hungarian grandparents .

-@angelarobbins

Ok, sounds good, go for it. 

Once you have HU citizenship, that also gives you EU citizenship and you can live and work anywhere in the EU and EEA. 

If you don't speak Hungarian to a good level, then it's a lot easier in Croatia.  If I had my time again, we'd probably think about going there just for the weather and scenery.  People are far better in languages there than in Hungary.   English is understood by many and at all levels in Croatia.  Like Hungary, the fallback - at least in the North of Croatia - is German.

You might also wish to consider Ireland, Malta and Cyprus (somewhat) as "user friendly" English speaking countries.  Ireland is rumoured to be particularly happy to see US citizens.

@fluffy2560I am applying for my hungarian citizenship. I was born in Vojvodina with hungarian grandparents .         -@angelarobbins

That would make moving here easier without too much immigration hassles if you are a HU citizen.

My friend from the US had to apply each and every year inside immigration because she and her father were not citizens or married with a family connection to a HU citizen.

They never were able to get national health insurance here because they weren't a HU citizen or family member of a citizen. If one of you isn't a HU citizen or working here then you can't get into the TAJ health system.

We asked awhile ago inside our city hall about me becoming a HU citizen since we've lived her long enough. ( decided against doing it for now)

They gave me forms to fill out and we were told it takes abut one year to get an answer. She said the actual president of the country is the one who decides who gets it or not.

Our son got it through the HU embassy in Ca., it seemed to only take a few months but that was decades ago.

I'd start the process through the embassy in Ca.as soon a possible if I were you.

A good thing is as a HU citizen you can bring your household goods and car and any equipment for work in without paying customs fees.

At least that's how it is on paper.

We did that and they played games with us at customs anyways.

Held my 12 boxes of clothing and household things for weeks. Then let us bring them home but said if we broke the custms seal and opend the boxes without permission we could be fined etc. Took about another 3 weeks for them to call us and say we could open our boxes. The said they would send agents out to make sure the seal wasn't broken. So stupid and crazy. Had to look at 12 boxes just sitting there for weeks unopened. I don't know if they had a good laugh about it or if that is normal?

As far as disablity goes, I'm not sure if they call you in to get physcial exams every so often or not. My cousin gets disablity and moved to the Phillipines.

He however used to be radomly called in for a health check by SSDI for the first few years he was on disablity.

I really don't know how that goes but it's best to double check their procedures.

I know, not allot of good news from me but just thought it's best to know what you're getting into.

I'd defo contact the embassy in Ca. they are much more helpful and nice then over here in immigration.

You need to prove where your grandparents were born and have as m uch paperwork as possible.

My father was born in Poland and my grandmother in Hungary but all I have is my birth certificate that says my father was born in Poland. They even mis spelled his village name and on a map there is no such place. My grandmother als was born in 1902, not sure if that's going back too far or not with boarder changes and wars over those years.

More in general, my experience with healthcare in Hungary was positive (very positive). Admittedly no emboly (as in Turkey but that is another topic). But how they dealt with Covid and my Cataract (even if slow) it was very effective (no 5 star accomodation, but the result was there).

On the Turkey forum you will be able to find my experiences (same handle), very very good also a bit outdated machines, but nurses tending to you around the clock. Really Hungary should take some medical staff from Turkey (cheap and effective, mostly friendly and understanding (they know what they do)). Sometimes annoying as they can come to your room any time. During the day 5 times for infuus, injections, ... but also during night they pop in at least 2 times (injections, blood-pressure, ..)

After 5 days with them, only respect, I have to go for a check up in a week and I will bring them a present.

cdw057,I'll speak for everyone and say we are sorry to hear of your recent hospital stay.

Get better!!

I didn't have chance to read this entire thread yet but property taxes and housing is a HUGE HUGE difference in regards to cost in Hungary than in the US!!!

Not to mention healthcare, which is something super expensive in the US... healthcare can easily bankrupt you in the US.

Housing, healthcare, property taxes are my biggest expenses. When I compare what it would be in Hungary... big difference.

So I disagree with anyone who says it is not significantly cheaper to live in Hungary or Portugal than the US.

I certainly hope I am not wrong!!! LOL

@angelarobbins
I will also get disability income from US.

-@angelarobbins

My cousin who lives in the US wants to move back to Europe but he says he is stuck in the US because if he lives the US then the disability income will stop. Is this true and correct? I ask because of what you wrote above... I wonder if disability income will indeed be stopped if someone leaves the US.

My father was born in Poland and my grandmother in Hungary but all I have is my birth certificate that says my father was born in Poland. They even mis spelled his village name and on a map there is no such place. My grandmother als was born in 1902, not sure if that's going back too far or not with boarder changes and wars over those years.

-@Marilyn Tassy

Why don't you apply for Polish citizenship? 

Then you don't need to bother with all those residence permits etc.

I am sure Polish Embassy would be able to help.

I didn't have chance to read this entire thread yet but property taxes and housing is a HUGE HUGE difference in regards to cost in Hungary than in the US!!!
Not to mention healthcare, which is something super expensive in the US... healthcare can easily bankrupt you in the US.

Housing, healthcare, property taxes are my biggest expenses. When I compare what it would be in Hungary... big difference.

So I disagree with anyone who says it is not significantly cheaper to live in Hungary or Portugal than the US.

I certainly hope I am not wrong!!! LOL

-@juliet1980

It's not going to be significantly cheaper.  It's just going to be differently structured.  Nearly all OECD countries have the same tax rate when you factor in everything like income tax,  VAT (aka GST), fuel duties, import duties (into EU) and so on.   

What you will have however is more or less free healthcare and that's really worth having in older age when you have to use it. 

Anyone over say 60 would be better off in a country with socialised medicine.  Unfortunately a lot of people (particularly in the USA) equate socialised medicine with socialism which is a gross misinterpretation. 

It's not the best in Hungary compared to bigger economies where healthcare is excellent, but it will be there as a backstop if things really go wrong.   And it definitely won't bankrupt you.

My father was born in Poland and my grandmother in Hungary but all I have is my birth certificate that says my father was born in Poland. They even mis spelled his village name and on a map there is no such place. My grandmother als was born in 1902, not sure if that's going back too far or not with boarder changes and wars over those years.        -@Marilyn TassyWhy don't you apply for Polish citizenship?  Then you don't need to bother with all those residence permits etc.I am sure Polish Embassy would be able to help.        -@fluffy2560

At my age, I no longer really care plus I only have  my brith certificate from my parents to prove my father was born in Poland. We don't speak Polish and since we aren't living there , it's just too much hassle with little return.

Maybe years ago I'd be more interested in trying.My grandmother was born in Hungary though, in 1902 before Hungary was chopped up int pieces.

One cousin I met in Poland who lives in the US, gave me a personal genealogy going back t the mid 1700's.

Plus in the Ruysn muesum out of a list of founders in the axle grease business there 2 out of the 6 people had my father's surname.

I know where we come from and that's enough for me.

I asked one very old distant relation in Poland about what happened to my family.

She seemed like her memory was good, she said ,"Didn't they all leave the area in 1939"?

I wonder if they all were actually rounded up by the Germans and removed! Yikes.

I know they were eastern Orthodox by religion but the Germans didn't give a hoot as to who was who.

Many people were forcefully removed and some returned after the war to the viallage and some stayed in the cities where they had been taken too . Taken not to camps but to cities to be in forced labor in factories etc.

One cousin of my fathers was picked up on the st. in his village in 1939 at age 16 and forced to work on a farm. A farm a German officer had taken"stole" from a Ruysn family.

He worked there for a few years, saw Jewish people coming and going from the farm. He was lucky to make it out alive. He later immigarted to Australia.

He thought his enite family was murdered so after the war he moved away. The family home had been burnt to the ground and no one knew where he family was.

He thought they all were dead.

In the 1980's the Red Cross in Australia contacted him to tell him his mother was still alive but dying in Poland.

Wow, what a shock.

He and his daughter flew out right away to see her. 2 weeks later she passed away.

She must of passed away happy though seeing her son after so long and never knowing what happened to him all those years ago.

Seems sadly histroy is repeating itself again, the world in crazy at the moment.

I didn't have chance to read this entire thread yet but property taxes and housing is a HUGE HUGE difference in regards to cost in Hungary than in the US!!!Not to mention healthcare, which is something super expensive in the US... healthcare can easily bankrupt you in the US.Housing, healthcare, property taxes are my biggest expenses. When I compare what it would be in Hungary... big difference.So I disagree with anyone who says it is not significantly cheaper to live in Hungary or Portugal than the US.I certainly hope I am not wrong!!! LOL        -@juliet1980

It's not going to be significantly cheaper.  It's just going to be differently structured.  Nearly all OECD countries have the same tax rate when you factor in everything like income tax,  VAT (aka GST), fuel duties, import duties (into EU) and so on.   

What you will have however is more or less free healthcare and that's really worth having in older age when you have to use it. 

Anyone over say 60 would be better off in a country with socialised medicine.  Unfortunately a lot of people (particularly in the USA) equate socialised medicine with socialism which is a gross misinterpretation. 

It's not the best in Hungary compared to bigger economies where healthcare is excellent, but it will be there as a backstop if things really go wrong.   And it definitely won't bankrupt you.

-@fluffy2560

I've been through the health care system in Hungary in a major way in the last 2 years.

I had my latest CT scan on Oct. 24th.

It is suppose to be checked and available to view the results in 10 days.

We called yesterday and it's still not available.

Told to try again in another 2 weeks!

I am OK but if it was a new patient waiting for their frist scan it has to be extemely stressful having to wait so long before getting treatment.

We called our GP's office yesterday for a minor issue. No answer. Called dermatology, no answer. Went to the medical center where the dermatologist works out of. Were told she is never there and they can't make an appintment to see her because they don't know if she's coming back or not. ( She was about 100 years old and not very good anyways)

Then the clerk suggested we go to an address right on our st. to see a skin doctor there.

Walked over and didn't right the bell, it was a lsiting for a cosmetic doctor who worked out of a house of flats.

I doubt she is the doc for the entire 6th and  7th district working out of an apt.

Now have to work on finding a dermatlogist for our district.

It looks like they don't answer the phones in hopes you will just stopping ringing.

The trouble is every country is very much different and you really can't compare them. Even in the same country areas can be very different as well.

Look at the UK. There is no way I would be able to buy a house/flat in London. I would not be able to even rent a place. But going to the North of the country I would be able to buy at least 3 houses possibly more?

I didn't have chance to read this entire thread yet but property taxes and housing is a HUGE HUGE difference in regards to cost in Hungary than in the US!!!Not to mention healthcare, which is something super expensive in the US... healthcare can easily bankrupt you in the US.Housing, healthcare, property taxes are my biggest expenses. When I compare what it would be in Hungary... big difference.So I disagree with anyone who says it is not significantly cheaper to live in Hungary or Portugal than the US.I certainly hope I am not wrong!!! LOL        -@juliet1980

-@fluffy2560

I have a HUGE problem with the sky rocketing property taxes in the US. I don't know... but when I enter in what my current costs are in the US are and what they would be in Hungary or Portugal it's much much much cheaper! To not have to pay several thousands of dollars every single year in property taxes would give massive peace of mind.

It appears, that perhaps taxes might be worse in Hungary than if I stay in the US? But theory this makes no sense because taxes in Hungary are lower than in the US! So sorry but I am not grasping what exactly would make Hungary not much cheaper considering property taxes, healthcare cost "pennies" compared to the US! Hungary tax rate is lower than the US. Hungary has flat tax as well.

My mother is forced to moved back to Hungary because the cost of living in the US has become revolting. She cannot afford to stay in the US. Many people leave the US for lower cost of living. I am not understanding why you are saying otherwise?

I didn't have chance to read this entire thread yet but property taxes and housing is a HUGE HUGE difference in regards to cost in Hungary than in the US!!!Not to mention healthcare, which is something super expensive in the US... healthcare can easily bankrupt you in the US.Housing, healthcare, property taxes are my biggest expenses. When I compare what it would be in Hungary... big difference.So I disagree with anyone who says it is not significantly cheaper to live in Hungary or Portugal than the US.I certainly hope I am not wrong!!! LOL        -@juliet1980It's not going to be significantly cheaper.  It's just going to be differently structured.  Nearly all OECD countries have the same tax rate when you factor in everything like income tax,  VAT (aka GST), fuel duties, import duties (into EU) and so on.   What you will have however is more or less free healthcare and that's really worth having in older age when you have to use it.  Anyone over say 60 would be better off in a country with socialised medicine.  Unfortunately a lot of people (particularly in the USA) equate socialised medicine with socialism which is a gross misinterpretation.  It's not the best in Hungary compared to bigger economies where healthcare is excellent, but it will be there as a backstop if things really go wrong.   And it definitely won't bankrupt you.         -@fluffy2560I've been through the health care system in Hungary in a major way in the last 2 years.I had my latest CT scan on Oct. 24th.It is suppose to be checked and available to view the results in 10 days.We called yesterday and it's still not available.Told to try again in another 2 weeks!I am OK but if it was a new patient waiting for their frist scan it has to be extemely stressful having to wait so long before getting treatment.We called our GP's office yesterday for a minor issue. No answer. Called dermatology, no answer. Went to the medical center where the dermatologist works out of. Were told she is never there and they can't make an appintment to see her because they don't know if she's coming back or not. ( She was about 100 years old and not very good anyways)Then the clerk suggested we go to an address right on our st. to see a skin doctor there.Walked over and didn't right the bell, it was a lsiting for a cosmetic doctor who worked out of a house of flats.I doubt she is the doc for the entire 6th and  7th district working out of an apt.Now have to work on finding a dermatlogist for our district.It looks like they don't answer the phones in hopes you will just stopping ringing.        -@Marilyn Tassy

I think healthcare is messed up everywhere... so I rather have healthcare system that cannot brankrupt me unlike in the US. I am also Canadian citizen... total NIGHTMARE there. Not to mention I have gone through absolute hell in the US with doctors.... and health insurance companies. Nightmare is too kind of a word.

I think healthcare is messed up everywhere... so I rather have healthcare system that cannot brankrupt me unlike in the US. I am also Canadian citizen... total NIGHTMARE there. Not to mention I have gone through absolute hell in the US with doctors.... and health insurance companies. Nightmare is too kind of a word.

-@juliet1980

The Canadian system is socialised medicine.  It's a sophisticated country with high skills and huge resources.  As you are still of working age and able to work, apart from the weather, you'd almost certainly be better off there than in Hungary.