Ex-pats/Friends

Hi everyone I visit medellin often but never could find a place where I can meet up with folks from the US. Any spots I can go to or groups that I can join to get with my US compatriots. I realize I should be careful who I ask but thought I can start here.

@alex9094 Hit me up if you're ever visiting Barranquilla.

@alex9094 Medellin is gringoloidia

Tons of gringos and other foriegners

I dont understand why people move from their home  country just to be with heir own kind

This applies to immigrantsas well as expats

I try to avoid Canadians and Americans , but have several Colombian friends

I dont understand why people move from their home  country just to be with heir own kind

-@nico peligro

I agree 100%  Stay at home, it's cheaper!

I dont understand why people move from their home  country just to be with heir own kindThis applies to immigrantsas well as expatsI try to avoid Canadians and Americans , but have several Colombian friends        -@nico peligro

I agree 100%  Stay at home, it's cheaper!

-@PhilCo58

By "stay home", did you mean "stay in your country"? If you're from the dUSA and you're on a budget, that's not really an option... dUSA is SO expensive these days!

@alex9094

Hi Alex, I understand & it's completely normal to want some "back home" fellowship, especially if your Spanish isn't

at conversational level yet. I've been here & married for much longer than most of these people and I still enjoy what your looking for. It's comfortable & relaxing with the right folks.

These others that "don't understand why" are socially abnormal so please just disregard them. I've met them in coffee shops

around town and the first thing they want to do is fervently establish whose Spanish is better like who has the most money or who's more physically fit, who whatEVER! It usually indicates identity issues. I simply tell them: "Look, let's get something outta the way upfront; You & I will never talk Spanish unless in a group of Colombians ,OK?" Wow! They don't like it either. Weird.

So just take all these elitist expats who speak great Spanish, & have a chip on their shoulders, with a very large grain of salt.

You'll know who they are when they start to size you up and compare themselves. Welcome to Colombia Amigo, there's much to enjoy here but please be careful & navigate with caution. Take care!

@EasyPZ  making a lot of assumptions without knowing people EasyPZ

Dont think you met me in a coffe shop because I never hung around with the mongers at Jaun Valdez  in lleras

But then, maybe I am making a lot of assumptions..

LOL

Me neither buddy. I've been all over this country but have somehow managed to avoid Medellin.

For the past 18 years I've lived in and around...Bucaramanga. So, if you were ever really here, then yeah, we've probably seen each other in passing & I said " Hey, How're ya doing?"  and you pretended not to understand me right?

Not much of an assumption since you're the who said: "I try to avoid Canadians and Americans ..."

And you're Canadian eh?

@ChineduOpara

Nice gesture amigo. Very classy! Take care!

@EasyPZ

18 years in Bucaramanga

Married all that time

Meets expats in coffee shops

Very few expats in Bucaramanga...Not many expats meeting all those criteria in Bucaramanga

Ok.. I think you figured out who I am..thats why you were "takin the pizz outa me"- as the Scots would say (you being intimitally familiar with he culture  from your time as a youngster in the US armed forces..LOL...I still remeber that story)

and I figured out who you are... its Mr. Woo / Nonames..

Nope-I never would expect you would hang around with mongers-other than to try and get them to repent and reform them

Hows it going there big fella??

BTW-As you know I moved out of Buca a long time ago

Just havent bothered to change my location

@EasyPZ I only know one expat from Buca

hardly any expats there

Mr- Woo--aka Nonames

Is that you??

Well, Well, as I live and breathe!!

Good to hear from ya man & I hope all

is well in your world; as in everything's going the way

you want it to!!

Yeah, I had to weigh in & you're a good sport, thanks!

anyway

So as not to be my normal self and a typical "sour grapes" jaded  elitist and Pizz in the Ops corn flakes,

In the unlikely event the OP is still paying attention

There are a plethora of Gringo and Expat groups in Medellin

You will be tripping over them when you are there.

For a start, join some Facebook groups and just cruise for the announcements of all the events

Do a google search "Medellin expats facebook

Hard to believe he has been to Medellin many times and hasnt figured that out

Sorry, sounds fishy. must be a real hermit

Now that wasn't so hard was it LX?

" Tripping over Gringos in Medellin"

Sounds like a fun topic!

-@nico peligro

Agree.

No matter which country did I lived as an expat never seek out particulary/ avoided folks of my country (mainly in Austria after some occasional experience).

My expat experiences were of two natures. One being employment and the other adventure. In the employment catagory; buy nature, I was typically immersed  and surrounded by US citizens as the international employment arena is dominated by the USA; at least in the petrochemical areas.

The second being vacation and adventure I would typically try to "Boldly go where no Gringo has gone before." Apologies to the Shat.

Oh then there is the third, to be near my family that I gained by marriage.

regards,

elp