Shipping furniture over or not?

Hello,

We are moving to Mauritius early February. My husband's employer is paying for shipping our belongings. We read that most rentals are furnished. However we have young children so their furniture is quite specific, and also we plan to furnish with our own style at some point. Here in Europe we use mostly ikea and it suits our style.

Are there furniture brands that are in "European" style and also affordable, and so then best we leave everything in Europe and buy in Mauritius? Or is it best to bring our furniture over? We might even bring new ikea flat packed items as our existing furniture might not survive the move.

Thank you for your help

@Posy_and_I we came from the UAE with IKEA furniture that I disassembled. It survived the move. My main reason for doing this was that the furnished rentals are sparsely furnished and not to our taste.

In my opinion furniture in that style is quite expensive on the island.

I hope this helps.

@Expat Ash Thank you so much, that is very helpful. This is what I suspected so we'll come with our things then. Thank you again, much appreciated.

@Posy_and_II bought my belonging here in a container via a door to door company. I am glad I did as furniture is more expensive here. Anything imported here is at least double the price. Eg, a desk here cost me 30000 rupees which is $1000 to me. I could have bought this for no more than $300 in Oz as a flat pack. Furniture made here is also expensive because materials (usually imported) have gone up a lot. I suggest you bring anything that cannot be made on the island & needs to be imported here. Even a kettle costs about 3 times the price here. Make sure you label all your boxes well. Have a save trip.   

@Posy_and_I Hi there, we moved to the island 4 months ago and we did not bring any furniture, only for our 16 months old daughter. At some point I would have preferred having some of our furniture as we visited a lot of houses and some of them were fully furnished and other barely, though they were called all 'fully furnished houses'. Plus, as you said the style here is very different from Europe, so you may not like it. In addition, furniture brands and shops are quite limited and the prices are very expensive if you compare with IKEA. Fortunately, we managed to find a house which was fully furnished and with a good style and we now are going to customised it  with all our personal stuff we brought. Hope it helps you.

@Posy_and_I

we moved from spain  2 months ago just make shore any goods that arrive do so AFTER you have your visa otherwisw you will have to pay tax on it then claim it back when you have your visa