Fiance/Spouse visa for UK

Hello All

I'm hoping people more in the know than me can give me some help/advice on a situation that's developing for me.

I'm British, and live in the U.K. In the summer I met a girl online, we started dating in August, it's been going really great, I'm the happiest I've been in a very long time. She's a South African who moved initially to Portugal, then relocated to this country earlier this year, working for the same company as she was when in Portugal, and has a skilled workers sponsored visa.

It's been looking increasingly likely over the last few weeks the company she works for might have it's funding pulled and would then be in a position where it'd shut down early next year. I know enough about her visa she'd have a very short window of opportunity to find another sponsored job if that were to happen or have to leave. She is looking for an alternative already and I hope she finds something but I need a plan B in case she doesn't.

My question is, I've been reading about spouse/finance visa's as a potential way to stop her having to leave. We're not married and don't live together so I believe I'm correct we'd not qualify for a spouse visa.

I had read about fiancé visa's and wondered if there might be an opportunity to keep her here with me with one of those, I personally meet all the criteria of British citizen, income level, place to live etc.

Does anyone have any experience with getting these? I know I meet the criteria and she obviously does too as she was accepted for one visa, I'm not sure if we'd be able to prove we're in a "genuine relationship" to people who only look at applications on paper. We've been dating for several months, stay at each others houses, met each other's friends and families on social occasions, been away together within the UK, but we don't live together yet.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The visa you're looking at, in as much it's the only one that mentions fiance) is the family visa; you can read all about them on the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to it.  I've never heard of a friend's visa which is what in fact you are.

I think the important thing for you to grasp is that these visas are to reunite an existing family and you don't have to be married to qualify; the issue you face is you are not in what the UK Government would view as a family relationship.  They will want to see physical evidence of you having previously been together, so things like contracts, bills, bank statements, photographs, e-mail correspondence - all things with both of your names on that will prove you have been together for however long the criteria is.

The relevant point in how they view this is that "You're not married and don't live together"; at best they will view you as friends - that does not qualify for any kind of permanent visa.  My own opinion is that she should start looking for another job where the employer will sponsor her, which will enable her to stay in her own right.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@thomasmgharrison

Hi

the best advice i can give is to consult an Immigration company who can advise free of charge initially, the government website is informative but not always clear or conclusive . your situation is not the standard case either . i used a company called swift immigration , they were great & i got my husbands visa without any issues . i did have to show photos, chat transcripts etc.but thats because we lived in different countries. Call one of these companies at least they can give correct advice & information  then you can be prepared for what you need to do.

Good luck

@thomasmgharrison

I do believe that you have to prove that you have been together for two years also. So it maybe difficult to get a visa.

The fiancee visa is a short-term thing, for people who want to get married in the UK and then settle there. It would really not be much use to you.

The spousal visa is for people who are married, and it is also available to people who are not married but have documentary evidence that they have lived together for two years or more. Again, not much use to you.

If your partner is to stay in the UK, you really have two options. First, she could find another employer and continue to be here on an employment-based visa. Second, you guys can get married.

Of course there are other options such as a student visa, but these are unlikely to be appropriate.