Menu
Expat.com

Rental contract termination - Leuven

Last activity 10 December 2023 by Uffauffauffa

Uffauffauffa

Hello, I need help/advice for a situation I have.

I'm doing a 2 months internship in KU Leuven (December and January), and before coming (29th September) I signed a student contract for a room. The landlord asked me to pay both months of rent (total of 1400) instead of taking the deposit, and so I did. He didn't use a KU Leuven Stuvo contract, but a different one.

When I arrived (1st December) I found the house super dirty and my room was still full of the stuff of the girl who lived there before, not only in the wardrobe but on every surface in the room. In the room there were also a lot of wood bugs and the heating didn't work (landlord gave me a portable heater).

I asked him to free the room and to clean the house, as in the contract he stated that I would have found a hygienic apartment, and after 5 days of asking daily and waiting while not only he didn't clean, but one day I found it even dirtier, I went to an association to get free legal advice.

They told me that since he didn't register the contract after two months of signing it I could terminate it without notice, but even if he did register it I wouldn't have to pay any fees since he wrote in the contract that I had to give "0 months notice". So I sent him the termination of contract letter as a registered letter on 7th December asking for my money back, and I moved out.

The question is: since I broke the contract after a violation on his part, how much money should I get back? I'm sure that he has to give me the second month's of rent, but what about the first? In that association they said I should get it back as well, but online I read different things so I don't know what to think.

Also I'm not sure I can afford a lawyer if he doesn't pay me back, are there any affordable options?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Leuven

• Accommodation in Leuven
    Accommodation in Leuven

Leuven is home to a lot of students but also attracts expats because of the companies implemented there. So, where ...

• Accommodation in Liège
    Accommodation in Liège

Liège is one of the many French-speaking cities in Belgium. It's also the capital city of the Wallonia ...

• Buying a property in Belgium
    Buying a property in Belgium

The real estate in Belgium has the reputation of being relatively cheaper than its neighbors. We'll give you ...

• Accommodation in Belgium
    Accommodation in Belgium

If you've decided to expatriate to Belgium, housing will be the first thing to do on your list. Here's how ...

• Working in Leuven
    Working in Leuven

Leuven is located within the Flanders region in Belgium. It's a Dutch-speaking city that offers opportunities ...

• A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods
    A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods

A very safe and laid-back city to live and work in, Brussels has many different sides for expats and tourists to ...

• Buying property in Brussels
    Buying property in Brussels

Compared with other European capitals, buying property in Brussels is very affordable. Consequently, it's ...

• Work permit in Belgium
    Work permit in Belgium

When moving to Belgium, you'll probably need to work to maintain a decent lifestyle. Suppose you're lucky ...

All of Leuven's guide articles