Electricity and phone connection for non-residents

Hello everyone,

We are in a very difficult situation and will appreciate any help.

We own a house in Crete which was bought in 2009, lived there till 2017 and then moved to the UK. We are now back in Crete trying to sell the house. The phone contract with OTE is on a different name (my sister's), we want a new contract, but we are not sure if we need a residence permit or not. We both have AFM and bank accounts.

Same with electricity - it's on sister's name.

So, my only question is: do we need a permit, or -  AFM, proof of address and passport are only requirements?

Thank you!!

P.S. My sister refuses to cooperate.

Hello,

For electricity: As far as ik know, you only need AFM and proof of address.

In your case, proof of address will be your notarial deed stating the house is yours (or even partialy yours). Usually, they also ask the last bill issued to the previous 'owner' of the electrical meter, but the refecence payment number could be enough. 

Same procedure for water.

Regarding the phone contract with OTE i can't help.

Regarding the residence permit: Having a house in Greece doesn't mean you actually live or 'reside' there. You can own a house there without being a resident.

As a UK citizen, you are entitled to stay for maximum 90 Days at each visit. Unless it is proven that you stay more than 181 days in Greece per year, you shound't have any problem... by the way, nobody cares about it (since there's almost no immigration and border control inside Schenghen area).

Regards,

T.

@natthgordonIm a bit confused here,if you are selling up why do you want to keep the land line and electricity going? unless you want to live in it while you find a buyer.However those two companies will say that the person whos name the contracts are in must confirm that they wish for a change of name by the law,perhaps those contracts are now out of date anyway and need renewing.If you are the owners legally of the property then you have the right to speak with both companies and explain the situation and drawer up a new contract,if a property has been vacant for a set period here in Greece an electrician must come to make an evaluation of its worthiness before it can go back and that costs.Many non Greeks own property here in Greece but do not have a residents permit,its not needed but they stick to the legally allowed period of stay time.of course the main point here is that the authorities must be sure that someone is not trying to sell or rent someone else property behind their back or behind a inheritors back so confirmation from the contract owner before any name change can happen must be obtained.