Menu
Expat.com

Remote working

Last activity 18 December 2023 by ajairon

GuestPoster319

Hi everyone,

I’m a British national in Vietnam on a TRC because my wife is working here.

I’ve been offered a self employed independent contract role with an Australian company, where I can work remotely. The company is doing no business in Vietnam and does not have intentions of doing any business here.

My role will be a combination of doing technical development and management of consulting & training services, and traveling to clients outside of Vietnam as needed to deliver training etc.

I have been reading what I can find about work permits, tax and digital nomads. From what I understand, I will be liable for income tax on worldwide income, which is fine. Where it gets a little grey is work permits. It seems like digital nomads can work remotely from Vietnam without a work permit, they just need a valid entry visa and they can work remotely. They just can’t work for a Vietnamese entity.

My main concern is declaring income for tax purposes and then get into problems with authorities.

Would anyone be in a similar situation and could offer any advice.

Thanks in advance!

MangoDude

Hello there Oliver,

Must be the Oliver from the corner bar wink.png hahahaha - How's Bui Vien treating you?  LOL

No?   Sorry if not. 

Back on topic,  you'll be fine, Oliver.   But find a good accountant, and confirm.  The accountant shouldn't charge you more than a couple hundred backs. 

As as aside, I would add that I bet that most digital nomads don't pay any tax (i.e., YouTubers, etc.).   It's a bit of a grey zone, because if that income had been taxed elsewhere, then Vietnam will not double-tax it.  Vietnam has tax treaties with a lot of western countries.  In other words, you could declare your income at home (and then pay less tax probably), but still receive it in Vietnam.  Personally, if I had an account abroad, I would opt for that route.

GuestPoster319

Thanks MangoDude!

Im a different Oliver, but please pass on my regards when you next bump into him.

MangoDude

LOL riiiight,1f609.svg1f609.svg1f602.svg

No proble, Oliver Mellor.

tomekindie

@olivermellors80 Working as a digital nomad in Vietnam is a bit of a grey area. Based on your post, I assume that you are currently on a dependent visa with a TRC. 

If you plan to stay in Vietnam long term, you may want to consider opening a local consulting company and using it to enter into a cross-border service agreement with the Australian company. The main benefits of that solution are making sure that you are staying and working in Vietnam legally, clarifying your tax situation, and enabling you to receive money from abroad easily. 

However, it is important to keep in mind that having a business in Vietnam requires certain investments and paperwork.

Kindly note that the above is for information purpose only and does not constitute legal advice.

Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

ajairon

@olivermellors80   the right answer to your question is where/how do you receive your payroll. I will asume you're contracted and receiving payrolls in Australia, so don't worry about taxes while you were using only Vietnamese Financial Systems to bring your money (credit card, dedit card, etc), that is your way of paying your taxes and proving your money is lawfuly . Avoid as much as possible to use friend's vietnamese bank accounts to receive remittances in your behalf.  Vietnam has good  money flows control and that is one of its keys why this country is safety.

Work Permit is mainly designed to guarantee expats are not displacing locals, and that is not your case.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• The tax system in Vietnam
    The tax system in Vietnam

Before you move to Vietnam, it is prudent to get up to speed on local tax laws. As with any country, this is ...

• Working In Vietnam & Tax Liabilities
    Working In Vietnam & Tax Liabilities

If you are working in Vietnam for either a local or foreign business you officially face significant tax ...

• Personal Income Tax in Vietnam
    Personal Income Tax in Vietnam

Individuals who reside or expect to reside in Vietnam for 183 days or more in a given tax year, are treated as ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles