Menu
Expat.com

Is 6500 SGD a good salary for a single person

Last activity 24 December 2023 by clairefxw66

tinka4tinka

Hello guys

Recently i got a job offer for 6500 SGD in Singapore. I am having 13 years of experience and currently working in Middle East with 5300 SGD as my salary.

Singapore is very expensive compared to Middle East and I am single and i will be moving alone. I have spent almost all my career in Middle East and wanted to move to another vibrant country.

My question is:

1. Can i save at least 3000 SGD/mo if i opt to stay in a studio apartment? Rent is super expensive in Singapore and i could not find a decent studio for less than 2500 SGD
  2. Is it worth moving from Middle East to Singapore since people say the quality of life will degrade in Singapore (ex: owning a car, additional perks for expats from employers in middle east, rent etc)
  3. Apart from rent, what else is you guys think is expensive in Singapore.
  4. My office location is near Buena vista MRT. Suggest a nearby place to rent out an apartment.
  5. Is co-living is common in Singapore? Sharing house with strangers and how safe it is?

Thanks for your patience

Rajesh Sharma1

Please don’t come  here on SGD 6500  if you are getting SGD 5300 in middle east, here cost of  living  is much much higher than any of middle east countries. try to negotiate   the salary.

if you are alone then  you will need to pay around sgd  900 for accommodation( co-living)yes co-living is safe here and another sgd 1000 (max) for food and outing. Now you have to decide whether you should accept the offer or not but suggest you pls negotiate with your future employer.

Regrading  salary , people are getting more than gulf here mostly.  I can tell you  Singapore is much better country than any of gulf countries in every prospective.

LG4god

@tinka4tinka

if you are single then you can survive but if you have family then very hard to survive on this salary.

1. for Single : common room is sufficient approx 1300 sgd avg. for couple, you will take atleast master bedroom which is approx 1800 avg. studio apart approx 3000 avg can vary if you take at outskirts.
  2. food expensive : if you can cook at home then you can save alot of money specially indian food. otherwise avg 1 time meal you have to spend 10 sgd
  3. Transport system :  Singapore transport system is best and cheapest in the world. best connectivity to each part of the singapore. You will not feel necessity of car until unless you are very use to it.
  4. Safety : Singapore is one of the safest country in the world. You will not feel racism like in other country. people mostly are friendly and helpful.
  5. weather : singapore weather is far better than middle east. Its almost like bangalore.

I also lived in dubai and I can say singapore is approx 2.5 time more expensive than middle east. middle east has no income tax. Also things in middle east are cheap compare to singapore.

so if you can compromise on your economical goals then you can try otherwise it is world most expensive city or country. 

Also singapore is changing visa policy very often. It is hard to get singapore ep these days than in middle east…

If you can take all these risk then you can come anytime in singapore.

tinka4tinka

@Rajesh Sharma1 Thanks for your detailed answer.  looks like my employer is not offering more. However, they pay 4*salary as bonus.  I may have to reject the offer then.

tinka4tinka

@LG4god

Thank you very much for your elaborate answer. Seems like it doesn’t worth moving to Singapore with such low pay.

Rajesh Sharma1

I suggest you that just wait  for better offer. As 13 years of experience guy you should get more.

clairefxw66

@tinka4tinka

Hi,

Having a job in Singapore is not easy and congrats on fetching this pay because a lot of foreigners who are working in Singapore are fetching alot lesser than you are. But they still make the change to come over.

Singapore might not be the cheapest country to stay. But security and job progression is a guarantee Singapore government promised. Furthermore you are coming over a professional which is why you are able to offer this salary.

Accomodation is Singapore can be flexible from renting a place by yourself to sharing. Locations, facilities and amenities plays a major role in the rental.

Moderated by Bhavna 9 months ago
Reason : Promotional part removed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

• Expat deaths in Singapore
    Expat deaths in Singapore

It's hard to face, but there comes a time when we must end our time on Earth. While we can't predict when ...

• Banking in Singapore
    Banking in Singapore

Singapore offers a wide range of personal banking services and has a complete offering of international banking ...

All of Singapore's guide articles