Finding a Pet-Friendly Home in Austria/Innsbruck

Hello, wonderful forum community!

I hope this message finds you all in great spirits. My name is Tuyunbike, and I'm reaching out to this supportive community with a heartfelt request and a bit of a challenge that I'm currently facing.

In just a short while, I will be embarking on an exciting educational journey in Austria, a country that I am eager to make my home for the long term. The prospect of immersing myself in the rich culture and academic environment is truly thrilling. However, I find myself in a bit of a predicament that I'm hoping this community can help me navigate.

You see, my faithful canine companion, Ceku, is an inseparable part of my life, and I cannot imagine starting this new chapter without her by my side. I've initiated all the necessary bureaucratic processes in my home country to ensure her smooth transition to Austria.

Yet, the challenge lies in finding a pet-friendly home. As many of you may already know, finding housing can be quite a task, and with the additional criterion of accommodating a pet, the challenge becomes even more significant. I am well aware that, even without a pet, securing a place to live can be a daunting task in today's times.

I am reaching out to this community in the hopes that some of you might have valuable insights, recommendations, or perhaps even leads on pet-friendly housing options in Austria, particularly in Innsbruck. Any guidance or advice you could offer would be immensely appreciated. If there is any procedure that can be done to convince landlords/landladies to have my dog in the house, I can take all responsibility and confirm that her presence will not be problem.

Time is of the essence for me, as the deadline for admission to the school is fast approaching, and the added stress of finding a suitable home for both myself and Ceku is becoming overwhelming.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my plea. Your support, comments, and suggestions mean the world to me.

Warm regards,

Tuyunbike

@tuyunbikeg

Hello and welcome !

Till members guide you, feel free to create a "looking for" advert in the Housing in Austria section of the website so that you might receive suitable offers.

All the best

Bhavna

I've been living in Austria for about 3 years (Italian/American dual citizen).  I came with 3 Pekingese, now I have one Peke and a cat I rescued in Italy.  I've had no problem finding pet friendly housing, but it might depend on your budget.  I've been living in or near Graz. 

Generally, Austrians are pet-friendly people, as long as you pick up your dog's poop and don't let them bark incessantly.

Some of the apartment search websites (Immowelt, e.g.) allow you to search specifically for pet friendly places.  Willhaben doesn't include that option, but some listings there will specifically include something about pets.  Otherwise, you may just have to contact the landlord or agent and ask about their pet policy.

If you get pushed on time, you could do a temporary stay in a B&B.  AirBnB allows you to search for pet friendly places.  Again, these can be fairly expensive if you're on a student's budget, but it could give you a little extra time to look.  There are other temporary housing possibilities, like subletting, but I haven't checked into those.  You can always start with just a google search.

If you want to rent in Austria the landlord can NOT stop you from having a pet, it is the law. So you will have no trouble finding a place to rent.

@Bhavna

Thank you so much!

@maryann20

Thanks a lot for the wonderful recommendations and for sharing your experiences. I am still looking for a space, hope I will find soon :)

@SimCityAT thank you for the information!

Do you also know if the law captures adopting a pet after renting the home only, or is it also included when you already have? Because some people referred that they actually could adopt a pet after living there, even if the landlord specified that the home is not pet-allowed.