Menu
Expat.com

Accounting assistant salary

Last activity 12 January 2024 by beppi

msnuka

Hello,

We are moving to berlin by this summer..

My questions are:

When your salary is maximum  net eur2000.00 per month and rent comes up to 2000.00 per month..how can i have decent life for my family? I'm just trying to understand how life works there..

2nd salary around 1700

Any answer will be helpful 🙂

beppi

2000€/month is an extremely high rent - only rich people live in such expensive apartments or houses.

A general rule of thumb: You should pay no more than a third of your disposable income as rent.

And another one: For a basic lifestyle, you'll need min. 500-600€/month per person for daily expenses (excluding rent) - and of course there is no upper limit to what you can spend (if you have the money).

TominStuttgart

Hello, We are moving to berlin by this summer..My questions are: When your salary is maximum  net eur2000.00 per month and rent comes up to 2000.00 per month..how can i have decent life for my family? I'm just trying to understand how life works there.. 2nd salary around 1700Any answer will be helpful 🙂         -@msnuka

Nonsensical question, of course such a thing is impossible. One has to find accomodation that fits to their budget. I am not in that field but wouid expect an accounting assistant to earn more. I took a look at some job websites but one has to have an account or login in to other apps to get salaries.

I would add that such a rent is very high. There is now a whole industry of offering sparcely furnished apartments for people on limited stays for outrageous prices; often 3 or 4 times the normal rates for an unfurnished place. Find something affordable.

beppi

2000€/month after tax and deductions translates to about 2600€/month before tax and other deductions (at tax class 3, which is the standard for a married main breadwinner). This really seems low for an accounting assistant (even though they earn less than certified accountants).

The abovementioned "2nd salary" (which I interpret as the working spouse) of 1700€/month after tax and deductions translates to about 2900€/month pre-tax (at tax class 5, which is the standard for a second earner). In that case a reversal of tax classes, or tax class 4-4 would be better. Ask your tax consultant! (And yes, taxation and how you declare the salaries can make a huge difference here.)

I also see from your other post that you have two kids. The average household income (post tax) for a family of four 2024 in Germany is about 5000€/month. Thus you will be below average. Many families survive with less, but they surely do not spend 2000€/month on rent!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Germany

All of Germany's guide articles