Newby - Some questions!

Hi everyone!

Newby here - already an ex-pat - in the US (UK and Australian Dual Citizen).

Wondering how / if I can legally work for my US based company, who have an office in the netherlands without a visa for under 3 months? And if not - how easy it is to do this? Still will be paid in US$ in the US and be a tax resident there...

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Apply for a Schengen Visa; this link will take you straight to the Netherlands Government webpage where you can start the process.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that you have adequate Health Insurance coverage for the duration of your trip.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Unless it's your company (you own it), you'll want to talk to your company's HR dept to see if they are cool with it. Even if it's 100% legal, many companies don't want to deal with the paperwork headaches or other problems associated with this sort of thing. They might want to re-assign you to their Dutch entity, pay into the Dutch welfare system for you, etc, and in many cases that's too much to deal with for a temporary re-assignment.

I've known plenty of people who have gotten their working from abroad requests (and lots of other business processes) shut down due to this, because POTENTIAL exposure to legal and other liability makes many companies even more conservative than the legal system of a given country.