Menu
Expat.com

Convert tourist visa to retirement visa with criminal record

Last activity 28 January 2024 by nwagtmustang

nwagtmustang

I am back in the United states from my visit in the Philippines. After many vacations there, I have decided to retire there. I am 48 years old. I plan to retire when I am 55 years old.  My plan is to do the tourist visa to stay longer than 30 days. Before my 6 months are up I plan to apply for retirement visa. But I have criminal record. A misdemeanor that involves false swearing on a government document. It's not fraud. Just false swearing. I am able to have it expunged.

My questions are

If I apply after staying 30 days will I still need a law enforcement clearance from the United states?

If I have it expunged, will that show on the clearance?

If I am unable to get a retirement visa, what are my options to live in the Philippines? 

bigpearl

I am back in the United states from my visit in the Philippines. After many vacations there, I have decided to retire there. I am 48 years old. I plan to retire when I am 55 years old.  My plan is to do the tourist visa to stay longer than 30 days. Before my 6 months are up I plan to apply for retirement visa. But I have criminal record. A misdemeanor that involves false swearing on a government document. It's not fraud. Just false swearing. I am able to have it expunged.
My questions are

If I apply after staying 30 days will I still need a law enforcement clearance from the United states?

If I have it expunged, will that show on the clearance?

If I am unable to get a retirement visa, what are my options to live in the Philippines? 

-@nwagtmustang

Welcome to the forum, research here and research well, seems lots to catch up on.

If you are a US citizen then you can stay on a visitor visor for 3 years. A retirement visa can be accomplished over 50Y/O and can be sought with the PRA commonly known as an SRRV or perhaps the SIRV if you have the funds and want to set up a business.

Regardless once in country for 6 or more months your police clearance will be with the NBI here in PH.

You have 6/7 years to research and think about your choice.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

nwagtmustang

Well thank you.  I know have several years to go and want as much info now as possible. Thank you

Moon Dog

@nwagtmustang

If you are in the Philippines 6 months or longer AND you are 70 years of age or older you are exempt from a background check from your home country when applying for a SRRV visa. Otherwise you will still need a background check from the US. One expat posted that he ordered a FBI clearance that costs $18 and that was accepted.

nwagtmustang

I'm will be 55. I also plan to expunge my record. Not sure if thdt will up as expunged or iof will be no record at all. Sometimes states and counties neglect to upload concoctions to the FBI database. I'm going to pull my record from FBI shortly and see what it says. Even if nothing shows up, still plan to expunge my misdemeanor.

I can't work beyond 55 years old. I'm ready to retire now but have to wait until 55 for my pension. I want to enjoy my retirement when I'm still young. Retiring in the United States is too expensive.

emvaningen

Good plan,

I too stopped working at 55, moved to The Philippines and traveled, (scuba) dived and enjoyed life.

nwagtmustang

I dive too. I got my advanced in coron last year. Dove again a few weeks ago when I visited the Philippines.  I got back yesterday, and already I feel depressed.

Wellsfry

I am 56... been partially retired for the last 8 years.   I live Philippines and U.S. 60/40ish pretty much... I come back just to check my business, and also drive my Semi around the U S. A bit... heading home to Mindanao via Bali, Singapore, then Phuket.. in 2 weeks.... Anyways. . I have just been running with the visitor Visa, and keeping my stays under 6 months... it's normally 4 months home, then 3 U.S., then 4 Home, etc....  Plan is to continue this for the next 10 or so years lord willing... then change over to the SRRV.  I have not visited rhe rules, etc... but when I did a couple years ago, it seams like it's better of you are 65 or older. May have to reread the SRRV rules again... lol... sorry not much help(Zero acgually...lol) 

nwagtmustang

@Wellsfry. I'm a truck driver in the testers union. Anyway I read if I get my record expunged, it is deleted from the FBI lost except for any type of federal state and local government jobs. I have plenty of time but I will have it expunged.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles