Dengue outbreak in Rio

I read an article yesterday that said Rio had declared a “health emergency” due to a “dengue fever crisis”. Of course they have no plans to cancel any of the carnival festivities. If you travel to Rio you know this is nothing new. My advice to Pablo or anyone else going there, is to be sure and pack a can of insect repellent and don't forget to use it.

Anvisa has apparently just approved a vaccine for dengue fever FWIW.

It's probably a few months from distribution however. It'll be the first thing I do when I arrive in August, because, if you get dengue a second time, you usually die from it.

My brother in law had it once and he said it was horrible. I've never had it yet.

@Gasparzinho 777 we have a family friend in Rio who got it. Required hospitalization. Almost died 

02/07/24 As reported in Folha de S. Paulo today and last week, the Ministry of Health is starting to distribute the Qdenga vaccine to the 16 states and the Federal District where the incidence of dengue is the highest this week.  Priority is for children between 10 and 14 years old, because this is the age group with the highest frequency of hospitalization.   

To the extent that Qdenga is available in the private health network, the reported cost is R$400 to R$490.  Takeda, the manufacturer of Qdenga, has announced that it's curtailing sales to the private network to prioritize adequate supplies for SUS.

States and municipalities scheduled to receive the first shipments appear on the table in this article:

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/equilibri … enca.shtml

I read an article yesterday that said Rio had declared a “health emergency” due to a “dengue fever crisis”. Of course they have no plans to cancel any of the carnival festivities. If you travel to Rio you know this is nothing new. My advice to Pablo or anyone else going there, is to be sure and pack a can of insect repellent and don't forget to use it.

-@KenAquarius

@KenAquarius

Roger.  Heard this loud and clear.  It's now part of the packing list.  Thank you.