Menu
Expat.com

Looking for suggestions on towns to live in Tuscany

Last activity 01 March 2024 by Celestinoanna

Celestinoanna

Hi. I'm looking to retire in Tuscany from the U.S. I've just started the process of researching towns. I'm hoping to make a move in September. Ideally I'd like to end up with a farmhouse near a friendly town very close by. But to begin, I'll visit some areas...Pienza, Pontremoli...I'd love any other suggestions or if anyone knows about these towns. Thanks!

Celestinoanna

Hi. Does anyone have any suggestions to find places to rent in Tuscany for a month or more besides AirBNB? Thanks.

Bhavna

@Celestinoanna

Hello and welcome on board !

please note that I have created this new thread from your post on the Tuscany forum so that members can guide you.

At the moment, we have only one advert in the holidays rental section : https://www.expat.com/en/housing/europe … enter.html

Regards

Bhavna

Alex_MOT

@Celestinoanna Hey Anna, we are doing the exact same thing, so I thought I'd subscribe to this thread and perhaps share some info.

It would be great if anybody had any relevant experience and chip in the conversation 1f91e.svg. Absolutely same thinking, something on the verge of a Borgo or two would be great.

Ideally in an area where there is some expat presence (yes I know Chianti and Lucca would be the areas but prices are a consideration). So a nice reality, near decently populated and hill top villages so that we are not completely isolated. I am Italian myself, but my wife is Scottish so I am trying to come up with safety nets in terms of bedding in.

We are going for a month trip this Spring (like yourself I think) and I am literally here trying to find an area that would allow us to get a sense of what daily life would be.

We did a tour of Tuscany last year for a month and spent some time near Lucca (which we loved), that city is really something - daily runs on the city walls and life within the medieval nucleus is dreamy.

We then moved to what many people consider to be the 'real tuscany' ie the Maremma region, just south of Siena. We stayed in an agriturismo in Pari, a great little town with Sagras etc but probably a bit quiet during the winter. The great advantage there is that due to a link with Canadian universities and families, there are loads of multinationals. You can reach Pienza, Montalcino e Montepulciano easily and here is where all the open air thermal springs begin (the most famous being Saturnia but there are a couple just near Pari).

Anyway, the hunt continues! If you want to keep up with it we are on Instagram as @WhatDaHand where you can see what we got up to last time. Ciao

Celestinoanna

Alex, thanks for your reply I’m eager to go through your insta account. It looks wonderful. Right now I’m planning on heading over in September to explore and hopefully find what I’m looking for in time so I can let you know what I find. Hopefully others will chime in. smile.png

M Hunt

Hi,

When we moved to Italy 16 years ago we too started our search in Tuscany but he prices and subsequent costs, comune charges etc, were so much more than neighbouring Umbria that we settled on the Tuscan/Umbrian border near Citta della Pieve within easy reach of main roads, trains, (day trips to Venice have been done!) and Perugia airport just 1 hr away. With Chiusi, Cetona, and many villages and 2 award winning wineries all in easy reach for every service needed, and our Dr speaks English too. Everyone has been welcoming, helpful and kind which made our B&B very successful until we closed it. Now looking to downsize and move closer into a town  and begin the adventure again.

Good luck and we're sure you'll also find your dream location

M Hunt

P.s we also moved from Wales, we used to live near Tenby

Celestinoanna

@M Hunt thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will look into Umbria. I won't have a car when I arrive so I'm hoping to land at least for a few months in town somewhere so I can get groceries, restaurants, etc. Any suggestions in Umbria?

Thanks. Anna

M Hunt

Citta della Pieve has lots of services, Castiglione del lago, the old town is on a small peninsular jutting into the lake that said mosquitos can be an issue with lake side properties despite the counsel spraying if it gets very bad.  Old Chiusi is very pretty and the modern section near the railway has all you need, frankly depending on what lifestyle you want you'll id a town to match. Good luck

Celestinoanna

@M Hunt thanks so much.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Tuscany

• Buying property in Rome
    Buying property in Rome

Rome has a complex real estate market, as is the case throughout Italy, and it is not always easy to find a ...

• Buying property in Milan
    Buying property in Milan

The decision to buy a flat or a house in Milan, a city with the highest prices in Italy, is a challenging one, ...

• Long-term visas for Italy
    Long-term visas for Italy

If you have decided to move to Italy, the question of a residence permit arises first. Depending on your ...

• Student life in Milan
    Student life in Milan

Milan is not only the Italian capital of fashion, finance and technology, but it is also the city of expatriates, ...

• Starting a business in Italy
    Starting a business in Italy

Are you interested in moving to Italy and setting up a business here? Italy's reputation for bureaucracy and ...

• Leisure in Italy
    Leisure in Italy

Living in Italy also means benefiting from a multitude of leisure activities. Between museums, art cities, ...

• Banking in Italy
    Banking in Italy

If you are planning to move to Italy, you may need to open a bank account. Often this is even required by the ...

• Income tax in Italy
    Income tax in Italy

Once you have settled in Italy, you will be subject to personal income tax (Imposta sul reddito - IRPEF), in ...

All of Tuscany's guide articles