Menu
Expat.com

Open a bank account with only a tourist visa?

Last activity 19 March 2024 by GuestPoster68

GuestPoster68

the expat guide suggests it's a simple matter: you need $1000 and a passport and that's it. an address I guess (though most city residents dont have addresses).

but a CRDB branch in masaki (dar es salaam) told me I need a residential permit and/or (I don't recall which one) work permit to open one. this was months ago. I assumed that if it went for one bank it was true for all.

(I married a local african and I still don't know how to get a residential permit. I've been told it's a matter of just taking the marriage certificate somewhere. but so far it has not panned out.)

my impression is you really have to get connected to the right people to get anything done around here. the thing looks formal on the outside, but through the right relationships it's possible to get through a gateway over a cup of tea.

can anyone explain?

Cheryl

Hello purvision,

Welcome to Expat.com1f601.svg

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Proof of address is very important when initiating the process of opening a bank account.

It is possible that there have been recent changes regarding the requirements to open a bank account and the work permit is requested.

I am sorry to hear that you are still facing challenges in obtaining a residence permit as the spouse of a Tanzanian citizen. Hopefully, someone in the Tanzania forum can provide some helpful insights on this issue.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

enosimasaga

@purvisionA Resident and work permit is an official document issued by a government authority that allows an individual to legally work in a particular country. Having a work permit is important for several reasons:

1. Legal compliance: Working without a valid work permit is illegal and can result in serious consequences, including fines, deportation, and being banned from re-entering the country. Having a work permit ensures that you are legally allowed to work in the country and are compliant with immigration laws.

2. Employment opportunities: Many employers require employees to have a valid work permit before they can be hired. Having a work permit gives you access to a wider range of job opportunities and increases your chances of finding employment.

3. Protection of rights: Having a work permit ensures that you are protected under labor laws and regulations in the country where you are working. It entitles you to certain rights and benefits, such as minimum wage, working hours, and access to social security.

4. Ability to travel: Some work permits allow for visa-free travel

Possession of residents and work permit will help you to apply the following.

1. Open bank account.

2. Nida (national identification number)

3. Register with Nssf and Wcf if your employed

4. Marriage certificate.

5. Residents permit will be valid until 2 years.

GuestPoster68

yes. fortunately I have a source of income without having to work here.

I've been told I could get a residential permit with just the marriage certificate I already have, but the way has not yet opened. the other way would be to demonstrate that I'm retired, which would take someone's goodwill and a generous interpretation.

idk what Nssf and Wcf are

Articles to help you in your expat project in Tanzania

• Banking in Tanzania
    Banking in Tanzania

If you are moving to Tanzania, it is likely that you are going to want to set up a bank account, especially if you ...

• Permanent residency in Tanzania
    Permanent residency in Tanzania

If you are planning on moving to Tanzania long-term, regardless of what the reason is for, if you are intending on ...

• Mariage in Tanzania
    Mariage in Tanzania

There are various options for wedding ceremonies in Tanzania, from locally traditional weddings to more ...

• Finding work in Tanzania
    Finding work in Tanzania

If you are relocating to Tanzania, you are likely going to be looking for a job sooner or later! This article ...

• Moving To Arusha Tanzania
    Moving To Arusha Tanzania

If you are moving to Arusha you need to know about the Arusha Mailing. It is how everyone finds anything. Go to ...

• Personal taxation in Tanzania
    Personal taxation in Tanzania

The basis of taxation of individuals in Tanzania is residence. A person is deemed to be resident in Tanzania ...

• Housing Tips in Tanzania
    Housing Tips in Tanzania

About Housing in Tanzania, Africa

• Public transport in Tanzania
    Public transport in Tanzania

Just wish to tell our friends who are coming to Tanzania for a visit or stay to be aware of the public transport ...

All of Tanzania's guide articles