Two Non-EU citizens getting married

I am a Nigerian PhD researcher living in Brussels with a Type D visa.

I am getting married to my Nigerian fiancee later this year and I want her to join me in Brussels.

Which type of visa do you think is faster and easier for her to apply for? I want her to join me by December 2024 or early 2025.

Will she be allowed to apply for jobs when she gets here?

Hello Ade J,

What status of Phd are you doing? is it seen as a phD student with scholarship or phD researcher with scholarship paying taxes? if you are paying taxes then it means you are consider a worker and not a student so she can work but if you are seen as a student and you dont pay taxes then she wont be able to work.

Also she can come with family reunion visa (then she take your status) or she can come in a student by applying for a course.

wishing you all the best. 

N.B

I am also a Nigeria and i finished my phD 2 years ago

@Owokotomoolajumoke Thank you, and congratulations on completing your program.

I am a PhD student with scholarship, I am not paying tax. Please I have more questions.

1. Where is the best place for us to get married visa wise, Nigeria or Belgium?

2. Can we claim family reunion? We are just about to get married, and I identified as single in my visa application.

3. If she comes in through family reunion visa, is there a probability of her  switching to a work visa later, if she finds work?

If you are not paying taxes then she wont be able to work when she comes

1. You can get married anywhere you want. For you to get married here in Belgium that means she must be already in belgium. I and my husband (also Nigerian) got married in Belgium 6 years ago. With respect to documents required it is easier to get married in Nigeria than in Belgium. If you get married in Nigeria, you will have to translate and legalise it for it to be accepted here.
  2. You can only do family reunion after you get married. As single what you can do is ”samenwonen” in nederlands but to do that while she is in Nigeria may be difficult.
  3. Yes of course she can change to work visa if she gets a job but remeber she is going to need a job that can process  work permit for her. It might be difficult to get jobs like that but it is not impossible as it depends on luck, favour and her course.

How long do you have to finish your PhD?

@Owokotomoolajumoke

Thank you for the response, it is greatly appreciated.

I just started my PhD program.