Menu
Expat.com

Crafting in Tanzania

Last activity 21 March 2024 by GuestPoster68

Cheryl

Hello everyone,

Discovering and participating in the artisan culture  in Tanzania  is an opportunity not only to enrich your personal knowledge, but also to forge authentic connections with the locals. More than just a hobby, it is a gateway to integration and a deep understanding of the traditions that shape the cultural identity of Tanzania, making your own experience more meaningful.

What opportunities are available for residents to participate in workshops or training in Tanzania? Are there any places or occasions to learn or practice local crafts?

What craft practice have you had the opportunity to try or would you like to try? What were your impressions?

How has discovering and participating in the local artisan traditions enriched your experience as an expat?

What challenges have you faced in trying to get involved in the artisanal culture of your host country? How have local artisans welcomed your interest in their traditional crafts?

What advice would you give to expats who want to explore craft culture in Tanzania ?

If you have any other relevant information on the local artisan culture, please feel free to share it.

Thank you for your contribution.

The Expat.com Team

GuestPoster68

@Cheryl

admittedly, I'm in a different position from many foreigners who come here because I married an African Tanzanian; but the words and phrases in your post don't match my experience so far. I have not met anyone here who I think would describe what they are doing the way you are.

the way it looks to me is that "artisan culture" is so integrated with life here that people are not self consciously making art--except to sell to foreigners in order to survive. "art" is part of what people do to eat. and there isn't any time for hobbies in the world I married into. there are games, and pastimes maybe--fun things you do with family. but the idea of art for art's sake... I could be wrong, but to me it doesn't seem like an African idea

like: there is art in making the mud house. you can see craft there. but it's not about the art; it's about making a good shelter from wind and rain, for your family. you wouldn't make art to hang on a wall. anything that looked like that from the outside would have some specific ritual use. or maybe to sell to others who have an eye and use for such things

as I say, I'm an anomaly--the only way I know how to learn about a culture is to join it. for something like that, I commit all the way.

maybe that's why my mother in law told me that Africa is my mother. because she's right: she is.

thank you for your post. it helps me gain insight.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Tanzania

All of Tanzania's guide articles