Which calendar is used the most in VN?

Just curious for those who live in VN, which calendar do the locals use the most? Lunar or western calendar "Gregorian"? I believe they mostly use the lunar calendar but I could be wrong. It'll be challenging to remember dates in 2 different calendars for newcomers.

Thanks!

Just curious for those who live in VN, which calendar do the locals use the most? Lunar or western calendar "Gregorian"? I believe they mostly use the lunar calendar but I could be wrong. It'll be challenging to remember dates in 2 different calendars for newcomers.
Thanks!

-@qnbui

For most everyday activities, the Gregorian calendar is used.

For Buddhist practices, the lunar calendar is used (fasting days, festivals, etc).

Just curious for those who live in VN, which calendar do the locals use the most? Lunar or western calendar "Gregorian"? I believe they mostly use the lunar calendar but I could be wrong. It'll be challenging to remember dates in 2 different calendars for newcomers.Thanks!        -@qnbui
For most everyday activities, the Gregorian calendar is used.
For Buddhist practices, the lunar calendar is used (fasting days, festivals, etc).
        -@OceanBeach9210

Agreed. Banks, visa dates, gov't decrees, all manner of officialdom use the Gregorian.

Family ceremonies/remembrances, weddings, holidays (religious or otherwise), births/deaths etc are noted (and remembered) as they occur on the Lunar.

I got delayed on a project just this past Tet when I went to buy a sheet of oak veneer plywood, with precise table-saw cuts. The owner said it would be ready on the 16th, just after the holidays. After a couple of visits to his shuttered shop, I soon learned from one of his neighbours that his 16th would translate to my 29th (if I recall). I've bought quite a few times from this shop, and the owner always gave me dates from the Gregorian for expected delivery time, dates on receipts etc.  But when it came to Tet, no sireee-bob.1f636.svg

My father in law based the start date of our construction project (to replace his roof) on the lunar calendar.

Some dates on the lunar calendar are considered luckier than others

@OceanBeach92107 & @Aidan in HCMC

Thank you for the replies. So I guess the best thing to do is to confirm if lunar or Gregorian date unless you're dealing with banks and institutions, then it's Gregorian.

In October of 1949, Mao stood on a high balcony in the Forbidden City facing what is now called Tiananmen Square and declared the establishment of the People's Republic of China. With relish, I imagine, he said a few things about defeating the Japanese and the Kuomintang (Nationalists who had fled to Taiwan) and throwing out the rest of the running-dog foreign imperialists as well, especially the British, but also the French, the Germans, the Russians, and the Americans.

Among many other decrees, he said the government would run under the Gregorian Calendar -- a huge step because up until then, everything in China ran on the Lunar Calendar.  Everything.

He also banned the foot-binding of girls and many other "liberalizations."

I also read that Mao was, in 1952 (?),  preparing to make pinyin, the Romanized, alphabetical script for writing the Chinese language, the *official* written language of the government. The article stated that the demands on the Chinese treasury of the Korean War took the government's cash and attention away from that roll-out.

But what the Korean War stopped, the modern tech revolution has accomplished. Almost everyone in China knows pinyin. Everyone who sends text via cellphone in China uses it. They type on a QWERTY keyboard on their phone screens. A couple of letters typed and a menu of Chinese characters comes up and they select which character they want to use. It's fast and effortless most of the time.

The Vietnamese saw the advantages of an alphabetic spelling system after it was introduced by Portugese missionaries in the 17th century and mandated by the French in 1910. Adopted and adapted with diacritical marks, the Roman script endures.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Quoc-ngu