Studena/Svilengrad

Hi folks recently purchased a property in Studena/Svilengrad. Was wondering if any expats are in the village or local area and will be looking for recommendations for trades like electrical and roofer if any one can help please let me know

Thank you

@Robertgreen93958

Yup.  Had a house here for 10 yrs, lived here 4 yrs this year. 

Getting trades is difficult…. Not insurmountable.  Have you been to the village yet?

Hi I will be over in a few weeks to have a look around  is there a doctors and shops in the village please

And if you kn9w a good electrician that would that would be great I can do plumbing and building work but need a sparky fir rewire

I can give you the number of a good roofer. He is in Siva Reka but will travel. He doesnt speak any English though.

Hi I will be over in a few weeks to have a look around  is there a doctors and shops in the village please         -@Robertgreen93958

Google the following: Студена (област_Хасково) - you should get, among others, a link to BG Wikipedia with info about the village in the past and today... 1f642.svg

Given there's only about 500 people living there, I guess there won't be much in the way of amenities - the village where we have our "place in the country" has 2,000 inhabitants and there's only a couple of small shops, a couple of small bars, a "restaurant" that's often shut and not up to much when it's open, a small but well-stocked hardware store, and a pretty crappy hairdresser..  Luckily there's a sizable town just a few km away.  You may strike lucky, but doctors in small towns here are usually pretty basic, and were trained in bedside manner by Sir Lancelot Spratt...it's uncommon to find a doctor in a village, even one the size of ours.

Thanks Frazer and Jim

That number for roofer would be great please I could message him use Google translator for now.  Any info on a sparky would be great. As the village is only 30 mins or so from Sofia I'm sure there should be lots of doctors their.

Thanks both really appreciate your help

@Robertgreen93958

30 minutes from Sofia? More like 3 hours 30 minutes...... 1f600.svg

Try Stroiko in Haskovo:

[link moderated]

Is your house in Studena Haskovo?

Ye Tony and was typo Jim I forgot the 3h from the 30mins

@Robertgreen93958

Drop me a message for anything but here's a rundown of the village

All About Studena

The village consists of about 300 people now.  Mainly over 40/50.

Nestled in the shadow of Dervishka Mogila and in sight of Edirne in Turkey.

On the main square There is one cafe / shop that serves a variety of food and has all of what you need on a daily basis, open from 7:30 until the last person leaves - not unusual to be 4 in the morning.

Next door is another smaller shop / bar. Open 7:30-2. 5-9/10/11 depending on time of year and who's in.

Next door again is the restaurant/bar, they do serve basic food but only open in the morning until about 2.  On the other side of the square three other small shop/bars open from about 7:30 to 7pm.

On the road to Sladun you'll find Vangela's shop - she has a good stock and also a bar. Open 7:30 to 9pm daily. 

There are Post and municipality offices in the square too along with the Mayor's office, along with a community and cultural centre and Hunter's club.

There's a shop selling produce from the buffalo farm, and another little shop that sells all sorts, like a mini army surplus.  Also private homes that sell homemade cheese and supply eggs.

There are market stalls several mornings a week where you can buy anything from a live chicken, through veg plants to slippers.   

There's a bus service three times a week to svilengrad. 

It's a very friendly village, but very little English is spoken so you'll soon pick up the basics.   

There are currently three properties permanently occupied by foreigners, and at least another nine holiday homes, many of which are in varying stages of renovation, and quite a few where the owners haven't been for a while.

Current nationalities with property in the village are:-

Turkish; Swiss; Dutch; Zimbabwean / Dutch; Zimbabwean / Irish; Welsh / English; English; English / Irish; English / Portuguese.

Svilengrad has three supermarkets where you can get absolutely everything and three or four decent electrical shops.   Also several builders merchants/diy type shops, and plenty of repair garages and tyre businesses.

There are a good selection of restaurants and fast food outlets, plus a variety of clothing shops and shops selling fabric and sewing supplies, framing services, watch repair and battery replacement.  Several banks with cash machines.  (Including one in Janet supermarket)

Svilengrad has many small shops littered around the town selling general goods/vegetables, meat etc.

The nearest petrol station is at  Pastrogor and he's often cheaper than the ones in town, though he prefers cash, but will take electronic payment at a surcharge.  Plenty of choices in Svilengrad. 

There is a retired doctor - but we all mainly use gp in svilengrad

I can give you contact details for an electrician - currently only here 90/180 - British.   But you'll need to message me I think

And a retired vet that saved our kitten recentlyfrom cat flu

Number for roofer sent by private message.

Thank you Frazer