Documents Required for Bringing Pet Cat to Ethiopia

Hello,

My husband and I are moving to Addis Ababa in a couple of months. We are bringing our cat, and we have been trying to figure out which documents we have to get for her to travel on the plane with us. We have her pet passport and she has been vaccinated for all normal vaccines plus rabies, and she is sterilized, but today we saw something about needing a permit from the Ethiopian Ministry of Agriculture approving her to enter the country. I have been trying all day to find a way to contact the ministry, but their website doesn't actually load. Has anyone moved with their cat from Europe to Ethiopia, and if so, would you please tell me if this permit (or any other document) was required and how you went about obtaining it?

Thank you!

@meaganmaureen7 Hi, I have lived in Harar now for 5 years. I thought about bringing my dogs, but ended up leaving them in the US with my brother but I have adopted 2 dogs and several cats since I have been here. I would recommend for you to get on some of the Addis Ababa expat Facebook pages (and some for pets) to get some of your answers about how to bring in a pet (I know there is lots of paperwork and Ethiopia websites are not usually very helpful). I have seen several posts about this and there are several Vets in Addis that will help you with the paperwork. I will tell you that any cat or dog food is very difficult to impossible to find here, including litter, so plan on bringing it with you for the most part (and/or making some food). I have to improvise a lot! Especially with where I live. Ethiopia has lots of challenges but also lots of rewards, hope you and your family enjoy it as much as I do.