Australia -> Hungary - Driver's Liscense

So with my citizenship and everything going nicely here in Hungary, I think its time to convert my driver's license.

From what I currently understand, its quite a straight forward process. Book an appointment (with openings only 3 months away) and bring all the required translations and paperwork.

My Australian driver's license is actually restricted to automatic cars only (CA).

I can't tell if there is an equivalent in Hungary.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Apparently all I need to do is pass a written test.

An official website with all this information would be nice.

So with my citizenship and everything going nicely here in Hungary, I think its time to convert my driver's license.
From what I currently understand, its quite a straight forward process. Book an appointment (with openings only 3 months away) and bring all the required translations and paperwork.
My Australian driver's license is actually restricted to automatic cars only (CA).
I can't tell if there is an equivalent in Hungary.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Apparently all I need to do is pass a written test.
An official website with all this information would be nice.

-@SurrealMagyar

Apparently Australia is not a signatory to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Traffic.  So your DL is not valid for a straight swap.  So, yes, maybe you only need a written test but you can do that online and in different languages too.  I don't remember exactly but the pass might be 75%, so that should be quite easy.

Regarding the automatics vs manual cars, yes, you are restricted to automatics here too.  There will be a endorsement/restriction for automatics only.  They usually give the categories and then put the endorsements on the back.

It's unusual to be automatics only.  That's because probably 80% of the cars in Europe are manual.  Maybe you should consider an upgrade to manual too because you'll be clobbered buying or renting an automatic compared to a run of the mill manual.  Then you can drive both without a problem. 

But if you can wait that long, eventually all cars will be automatics because they'll be electric. 

Assuming this website is correct, seems pretty straight forward. Just slow like everything in this funny country.

helpers.hu/residence-permit/localizing-and-renewing-your-drivers-license-in-hungary/ 

I do really need to get an unrestricted license... In Australia, there isn't a distinction between manual and automatic motorcycle licenses so even though my car was restricted to automatic, I was riding manual motorcycles. I haven't touched a manual car for a decade, but I know my way around a gear box. Just a tad rusty 1f605.svg

I think I'll make the manual license a goal of mine once I have income again.

Assuming this website is correct, seems pretty straight forward. Just slow like everything in this funny country.
[link under review]
I do really need to get an unrestricted license... In Australia, there isn't a distinction between manual and automatic motorcycle licenses so even though my car was restricted to automatic, I was riding manual motorcycles. I haven't touched a manual car for a decade, but I know my way around a gear box. Just a tad rusty 1f605.svg

I think I'll make the manual license a goal of mine once I have income again.

-@SurrealMagyar

Oh, you're well qualified.  It's years since I had a motorbike. I suppose there are automatic bikes if one looks.

Our teenager passed the online exam with ease.  You should find it a breeze.

Obviously there are some different street signs but there aren't that many.   The one that baffles me is the non-priority vs priority road in suburban areas.  It seems to be randomly allocated and you just have to know.    HTH do you do that in an unfamiliar place?  I think this give way to the right business is incredibly dangerous.   It's the work of the devil.   I've nearly come a cropper a number of times.

Main thing is to look out if you can for the "teddy bear cheese" (give way triangle) sign on any right hand roads.   Hungarians have a cute phrase for it - Mackó sajt.   If in doubt, give way to the right.  Madness.

@SurrealMagyar I was not sure what would happen either. From what I could read online, I thought that the non-Vienna convention issue would create a problem. Hopefully, the auto-only Aussie restriction doesn't create an issue for you but my Kiwi to Magyar licence swap was easy. Good luck!