Early Retirement

Looking to retire in Costa Rica, i have US and UK citizenship, my sister will be retiring with me, she is UK citizen. Where do we start?

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Text edited : Costa Rica
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@emmajmanogue25,....By learning how to spell 'Costa Rica' correctly and learning Spanish..

@emmajmanogue25

hello an welcome !

Feel free to read the articles of the Living in Costa Rica guide for expats and reach out to the nearest Costa Rica embassy.

All the best

Bhavna

if you go to the search engines and put in *** certified appraiser you will see the 25 years of ex pats experiences

it is always best to see long term info

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Recommendations should be shared in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Emma....25.   I for one, believe you spelled Costa Rica correctly.  And... I won't 'assume' that you don't already speak Spanish.  Why would anybody do that??   

Where to start???     That all depends on you, and your sister.

Maybe start a list and consider the following.  (hopefully others will add to the list and you won't be overwhelmed... you'll have to pick and choose what's 'relevant' to you.)

1)  Do some homework... off this forum. Then...  come and ask!!  We are 'generally' quite friendly and even, sometimes, sane.

2) Visit. I mean... really visit; if you haven't already.  Or visit again!!  Don't just pick a resort or beach town or an area full of English speakers and say, "I Do!"  You need to see more than one place; and don't discount the 'interior' because there is no ocean there.  You can live an hour, or even 3 hours from a beach and still go visit it.  It would be like taking a vacation from your vacation.  Experience the climate here... it's not for everyone.  Etc.   There is a lot to see and most of it is beautiful.  Some of the most mesmerizing places are very remote; so nice to visit; but difficult to live in if you aren't 35.  Just saying.  It's logic.  But you know you better than anybody.

3)  Read. Read the testimonials of others.  'Hear' what they have to say about living in a rural area; a beach area; high up where it is cooler; near amenities (including hospitals); in a big town; next to a small city; near/around other expats; next to nature reserves; etc.  There's something for everyone and for a variety of budgets.  You can actually find out a lot about a 'place' by looking at a map; and then 'googling' the name of a town, or region, or ______ ??   Worked for me... before I visited. 

4)  Residency. If you want to stay without being required to leave every 180 days... you'll have to apply for Residency.  There are only 4-5 options;  investigate them and decide which 'works' for you.  Some require 'proof' of regular/guaranteed pension/or other payments; some require investments; etc.  A lot of the information is easily found on the internet.  Or 'ask' a Residency service;  eventually, if you do apply for residency... you'll most likely need to use a service or a lawyer who understands the Migration System.

If you are not interested in Residency... you can live here and 'leave' every 180 days; turn around and come back 'in' with a new 180 day stamp on your passport.  People do it!!!  They call it a 'border run'.  And if you don't live to far from the Nicaraguan or Panamanian borders... then why not?   Of course, without Residency you won't get a Costa Rican ID card; or the other benefits of having residency, etc.  CR even 'extended' the 180 day 'visas' (which were only 90 days until a year ago) during Covid... so the non-residents could stay without fear of getting into trouble.  If you did leave during Covid... you were not allowed to return until the border restrictions were lifted; resident or not.  Residency application process can start before you live here... or even after you've already come down, found a residence, and settled in. 

5) Consider your ages. Do/will you require regular medical care... and will a hospital be within a reliable distance from where you settle.  Costa Rica only has 35? hospitals for 5 million people.... spread out over an area about the size of West Virginia... but half of those hospitals are concentrated in/near San Jose.  To compare... West Virginia has less than 2 million people and there are over 60 hospitals there.  Sometimes your 'needs' list will need to be considered before your 'wants' list.  But don't fret.   

Also... will you drive or not??  Then you'll need to consider public transportation... buses.  The bus network is broad, and the Ticos use it.  It is something to consider.  I love it; but at times I opt for a taxi or a rental; which are usually available without issue.

6) Consider any/all of your special or personal needs/interests. Are you vegan?  A tennis person?  Do you need 'community' support for artistic or musical interests?  Etc.   Know that everything that is 'normal' in the states and UK isn't necessarily already here.  Sometimes it doesn't exist, or it is a rarity; or only exists in big cities where the population can support such.  But there are exceptions to everything, right?   I learn that a lot by reading threads on this forum... which turn from subject to subject without warning.

7) Budget. This goes without saying.  A 'trendy' place that is popular with tourists is most likely going to be more pricey.  And closer to big city, perhaps means higher priced real estate and rentals.  Same as everywhere else.  Just common sense.

Lots to consider.   I hope I spelled everything correctly.  Best of luck.

Pura Vida

@rainagain.....She was able to edit her misspelling of Costa Rica in time ! It was spelled sounding like 'Puerto Rico'......Puerto Rico or Puerto Ricans are the bane to Costarricenses....No Joke !

ok