Links under review

Why the Expat.com censor police removed your link is baffling.      @Lotus Eater

As I understand it...

Links provided by new members, such as bobbybundok (welcome to the forum!), require

the approval of administration prior to being viewable. This requirement remains until the

new member has passed a "minimum number of posts threshold", which I believe is

currently 10 posts. It is a policy intended to thwart the efforts of spammers.

There is no active policing nor censoring of posts on any of the forums. Generally

speaking, posts do not come to the attention of expat.com's administrators/moderators

unless flagged by a "Report" from another member.

@Aidan in HCMC

Fair enough Aidan. I was unaware of the rules and regulations like you are. I was not forwarded a copy of the T&C's upon registering on this site. 1f644.svg

So presumably the site algorithm automatically  places the 'link under review' before it has actually been read by a humanoid. Why is it then that, as Bob once pithily said, upon this event occurring the link never gets reinstated? In this case it was clear that the link is an official government website.

@Aidan in HCMC
Fair enough Aidan. I was unaware of the rules and regulations like you are. I was not forwarded a copy of the T&C's upon registering on this site. 1f644.svg

I can't remember whether I got a copy of the terms and conditions for the forum either (or even a code of conduct copy). If I did indeed receive a copy, knowing me as well as me does, I'd almost guarantee you that me didn't read it.1f914.svg

Most of what I know has been learned through interaction with the moderators and administrators, as well as other forum experts.

So presumably the site algorithm automatically  places the 'link under review' before it has actually been read by a humanoid.

Correct. Determined by whether the member has met that minimum number of posts threshold, or not.

Why is it then that, as Bob once pithily said, upon this event occurring the link never gets reinstated?

Agreed. Showing as [link under review] is confusing, and can certainly lead to a member feeling frustrated and becoming impatient. Much better, IMHO, that the notification be shown as [link approval required].

In this case it was clear that the link is an official government website.
        -@Lotus Eater

The algorithm is set to allow a link to be viewable based not on the link's target site, but rather on the member's post history.

I've flagged a "Report" on bobbybundok's post, asking that the link be reviewed for approval. Members are also able to "Self-Report" their own post(s), asking for link approval(s).

"Report" flagging a post does not have to solely be because of any violation of the forum's code of conduct.

@Lotus Eater

Having trouble here with the "Edit" function

I realized I missed this in your question,

...the link never gets reinstated?

Again, I stress that this is as I understand it. There are literally hundreds, upon hundreds, of new member posts containing links posted each day. Far too many for all to be confirmed/approved by admin in a timely fashion. Most links are legit, but many are less than sincere, potentially malicious links. Best to hit the "Report" flag and request that the link be reviewed.

"[link approval required]" I think would be a more appropriate notice.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have moved these posts on the open forum since they were off-topic on the initial thread.

Moderators do not censor these links (under review). The links are hidden (under review) automatically by our antispam system based on security parametres we have set.

New members links are put under review to prevent any spam flood and some other links are also put under review when they are unknown to the the website or haven't been posted before. These links need validation, we just have a quick look at the content and normally approve them.

Regards

Bhavna

Meet expats all over the world

OR