Connection flights from HCM airport

Hi folks

Later this month I'm travelling from the UK to Vietnam - my first ever visit.

I'm flying from London Heathrow and - after a stop in Doha - arrive at HCM at 08:00.

Thereafter, I'll be flying on to Da Lat airport.

The first suitable flight for Da Lat leaves at 11:00, with the next around 16:00.

I will have checked luggage (1 suitcase) in the hold, so in addition to clearing immigration, I'll also have to wait at the carousel for my luggage.

I don't know the layout of HCM airport but I would imagine there will be a separate terminal or area for domestic flights.

My question is therefore this.

Will there be enough time for me to check in for the flight to Da Lat (presumably an hour before departure time) or would I be cutting things too tightly? (Especially if any delays in the Doha flight).

While it would mean a longer wait at HCM airport - I'd rather wait for the 16:00 than possibly risk missing an 11:00 flight.

I would like to book the domestic flights as soon as possible.

Grateful for thoughts / advice.

Tia.

Hi folks
Later this month I'm travelling from the UK to Vietnam - my first ever visit.

I'm flying from London Heathrow and - after a stop in Doha - arrive at HCM at 08:00.

Thereafter, I'll be flying on to Da Lat airport.

The first suitable flight for Da Lat leaves at 11:00, with the next around 16:00.

I will have checked luggage (1 suitcase) in the hold, so in addition to clearing immigration, I'll also have to wait at the carousel for my luggage.

I don't know the layout of HCM airport but I would imagine there will be a separate terminal or area for domestic flights.

My question is therefore this.

Will there be enough time for me to check in for the flight to Da Lat (presumably an hour before departure time) or would I be cutting things too tightly? (Especially if any delays in the Doha flight).

While it would mean a longer wait at HCM airport - I'd rather wait for the 16:00 than possibly risk missing an 11:00 flight.

I would like to book the domestic flights as soon as possible.

Grateful for thoughts / advice.

Tia.

-@redgranite

You can "probably" (almost certainly) make the 11 AM flight, but with the uncertainty about flight arrival, if it were me (and if I'd never been to Sài Gòn/HCMC) I would opt for at least one night there in HCMC.

Otherwise, go for the 16:00 flight and have a leisurely (and perhaps boring) wait in the airport, but relieve yourself of a stressful worry.

Good luck!

(It will make a difference if you are arriving and continuing on separate itineraries with separate airlines, instead of one itinerary with Vietnam Airlines, for example. If you are able to arrive on Vietnam Airlines and continue on with them to Da Lat, they will almost certainly help you make your connection, just as they do when people are continuing on to Phu Quoc Island.)

Hi OB

Many thanks for this helpful reply.

I'm not keen to leave HCMC airport so - taking all into account - I think I'll just book the later flight.

I'm flying in from Doha on Qatar Airways - and internal flight will be Vietnam Airways.

I have friends who will be waiting at Da Lat - and they're ok with my later arrival.

With this being my first visit to Vietnam, I've got a few other questions that I'll post later!

Thanks again.

Hi OB
Many thanks for this helpful reply.

I'm not keen to leave HCMC airport so - taking all into account - I think I'll just book the later flight.

I'm flying in from Doha on Qatar Airways - and internal flight will be Vietnam Airways.

I have friends who will be waiting at Da Lat - and they're ok with my later arrival.

With this being my first visit to Vietnam, I've got a few other questions that I'll post later!

Thanks again.

-@redgranite

Welcome to the forum and feel free to start new, individual threads for different topics.

Good luck and safe travels!

Cheers!

O.B.

I'm not keen to leave HCMC airport so - taking all into account - I think I'll just book the later flight...     

If you do arrive on schedule at 08:00, try going straight over to the domestic terminal and see if VN Airlines can put you on their 11:00 to Da Lat. The domestic terminal is only a 3 or 4 minute stroll from the int'l terminal. Exit the int'l terminal, turn right and you're 1/4 of the way there1f642.svg. It's worth trying, and even if they can't accommodate you on the 11:00, you've at least shed yourself of your suitcase by checking it in there and then.

Thanks again.
    -@redgranite   

Looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

@redgranite hello, You didn't mention the exactly day of the week you will land in Saigon.  8am on weekends you will probably spend 2 hours: to take the bus from the plane to the main building is often necessary; attach your visa to your passport at Immigration is not so quick; then the line to stamp your entry and finally you will leave the International Building.

Then walk 10 minutes to the Domestic Departures Building; Assuming you already have checked-in your flight to Da Lat (printed or in your cellphone) you will safe 30 minutes: and finally another 30 minutes doing the line to check your passport and scan your bags and cross to the boarding gate.

How about the time to go to the toilet? 1f602.svg

Conclusion: 3 hours is to risky on weekend mornings. Good luck.

Then walk 10 minutes to the Domestic Departures Building...   

-@ajairon

10 minutes?! Either they moved the building, or you've got very short legs! :D

@Aidan in HCMC ok, ok... this is not the Terminal in Singapore, so let's say 4 minutes because travelers are always hurry....  But hey!!!  you are in a different country...  take your time and enjoy the landscape 1f609.svg