Process of Buying a Second Hand Moto / Motorbike

JUNE 2024 - Hi! First Post!, Just moved in :)

SO, I want to buy a secondhand motorbike for under DOP$30,000 (US$507 / UK£400)

Scenario: I arrange to meet a guy selling a bike. I like it. The bike has a Licence Plate & he has the correct documents. We go to a lawyer to complete the buy and I purchase the correct insurance through the lawyer. Keys exchanged, Job done! Easy right!!?

Questions:

• I've looked up the price online and it looks like he's doubled the price just for me! How do I stop this. A local 'friend' said she would do it for me and not charge a commission OR do I get the lawyer to go and buy it for me for a commission?
  • I've just seen the bike and only now do I realise I need a lawyer - can I just pop-in to the nearest one with the seller without an appointment?
  • The bike is missing the Licence Plate, what are my options, will the police stop and fine me?
  • What is the "correct insurance"... Cheap is dear, so whats the middle/warm porridge option?
  • Acceptable costs for this process / Average lawyer fees etc?
  • What am I missing, apart from very limited Spanglish!

How hard can it be right! It's just a runaround!! ;)

Mat

If you already paid, it's a done deal. If you have not paid then walk away!

Ask here for referrals for a decent lawyer in your area

And welcome to the forums!

Once you pay for any  vehicle it always a tail light  guaranteed  , when the taillight is out of sight …good night done deal…….  another learning curve, when someone gives  you a price over here , cut it in half and then negotiate…..

If you already exchange money for the scooter you have been had...sorry you will not get  one peso  back. I tell many people who travel to the RD never purchase anything without someone local who you know well that speaks some English to help in case your Spanish is bad. I watch to many dudes get suckered in buying a car, a scooter, getting an apartment without a sign agreement with the terms and so forth. The RD is a very fast pace environment and many people there will take advantage of you once they see you don't understand the law there good luck with everything.