Health Care for senior Expats

My wife and I are buying a home in Valencia, Spain. When we do I will be 80 and my wife will be 78. What I have seen online makes it look very difficult for people our age to get either national or private insurance. Can someone please supply more information? Thanks, Bob Kramer

@njadwriter

Yes, it's a challenge, but not an insurmountable one.

Typically, you start with private health insurance as it's required for your visa/residence application. This might be expensive, but it's usually available.

The comparison engines (acierto and rastreator) are helpful in showing companies and prices. You can also contact these companies directly. I recall Sanitas, Asisa, DKV, Mapfre, but there are more.

The public health insurance option is excluded for non-EU citizens who are not "economically active". But after 5 years and you become a Permanent Resident, this restriction is lifted. So the problem is not an indefinite one.

Additionally, there is the Convenio Especial, which I believe is available after only 1 year as a Spanish resident. This addresses the issue of those facing overly high private premiums due to their age / health conditions by providing access to the public healthcare system.

As a guesstimate, maybe $400 a month for a retired couple.