Just arrived in Da Nang and need advice

Arrived at Da Nang on June 3 at my Airbnb, and found a place over the Dragon Bridge Wednesday so here are my  questions

1. Rent: Paying 5.5 million VND. Can I do better? I haven't signed a contract yet, but I am leaning towards a 6-month contract. I love the area, it's just two minutes from the Dragon Bridge.

2. Banks: I am currently using HSBC. Does TD Bank adjust the conversion, or must I call them? (Aiden)

3. Scooter License: I am looking to acquire a license to drive a scooter. What is the process? Thank you to anyone who can help.

4. Last but not least, quite happy here so far. I've only been here for four days." adjust the conversion or must I call them  (Aiden)

~ Looking to acquire a license to drive a Scooter what is the process anyone, thank you.

~ Last but not least. so far, happy. been here only four days

frustration , in looking for film to buy I shoot film ...

If no one answers you , google should be able to help

you need an IDP to rent a scooter procurred b4 you land .  200 rent sounds affordable.

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that I edited the title so that members get an idea of what the OP is looking for. "One bedroom" was not quite fitting as title.

I hope members will share some advice soon.

All the best

Bhavna

Arrived at Da Nang on June 3 at my Airbnb, and found a place over the Dragon Bridge Wednesday so here are my  questions

Good to hear of your arrival, Eddy.

1. Rent: Paying 5.5 million VND. Can I do better? I haven't signed a contract yet, but I am leaning towards a 6-month contract. I love the area, it's just two minutes from the Dragon Bridge.

I'm not familiar with Da Nang specifically, but in my experience in other cities that for a one bedroom, furnished, with air con, hot water, and elevator (if necessary) it sounds fair. Happy to hear otherwise if it doesn't sound like a decent deal for Da Nang.

Give us a better description. Is it in a high-rise? In a hem (alley)? Amenities like pool, parking, racket courts, etc? I assume you'll be required to lay down 3 months rent upon occupancy (first month, and 2 months security deposit).

In any event, what matters most is that you like the area.

2. Banks: I am currently using HSBC. Does TD Bank adjust the conversion, or must I call them? (Aiden)

Not sure I quite understand your question. The conversion is automatic. When you withdraw money from an ATM using your TD debit card, the money will be dispensed in VND. I'm assuming you use TD's "Easyweb" banking portal. If so, when you log on and check the account your debit card is linked to, you'll see a deduction from that account in $CDN. Of late, in my experience, 3 million dong withdrawn from an ATM = ~$176 CDN withdrawn from my account.

Was this what you were wondering?

3. Scooter License: I am looking to acquire a license to drive a scooter. What is the process? Thank you to anyone who can help.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to acquire a driver's license if you are here on a DL (tourist) visa.

I made recent posts to a couple of threads here, and here.

They're worth the read for all new-comers to Vietnam wishing to drive/ride here.

4. Last but not least, quite happy here so far. frustration , in looking for film to buy I shoot film ...  -@eddyjw07

Good for you! I very much miss film. I'm assuming you mean 35mm, and not medium or large format. If so, you're in luck! See here. Lazada is a very popular online sales site, and they deliver C.O.D.   Unless you are buying a large ticket item, no prepayment required.

(I keep thinking that historians in the future will look back upon our current era and wonder why it was that we stopped taking pictures, by that time being unable to read our digital images)

you need an IDP to rent a scooter procurred b4 you land .  200 rent sounds affordable.
        -@Luckydratsab

Ohhhh, you'd be able rent one, I have little doubt. To the numerous scooter rental shops, cash is king.

It's the "post-rent" situations one should be well prepared for.

-@Luckydratsab

Wow!

You're now a Vietnam expert while still in Mexico?

Maybe tell him the rest of the story about DLs, if you know it?

And what do you really know about rentals here, since he hasn't specified what type of place or the amenities?

₫5,500,000 VNĐ here is usually a POS, especially during high season.

Then again, some people are very content to live in a POS.

...₫5,500,000 VNĐ here is usually a POS, especially during high season.
        -@OceanBeach92107

Okay then, I stand corrected.

In my defence I guess I'm spoiled, having always had the help of a local to scout/negotiate rental properties for me.

...₫5,500,000 VNĐ here is usually a POS, especially during high season.        -@OceanBeach92107

Okay then, I stand corrected.
In my defence I guess I'm spoiled, having always had the help of a local to scout/negotiate rental properties for me.

-@Aidan in HCMC

I  certainly didn't mean to contradict you, my friend.

As you said...

Give us a better description. Is it in a high-rise? In a hem (alley)? Amenities like pool, parking, racket courts, etc?

My point was that the OP was quite vague, saying his place is "over the dragon bridge" and "it's just two minutes from the Dragon Bridge"

Since that's Eddy, who once told us he wanted to "live in Da Nang— in the central city" but later said he'd "found the perfect place, An Thuong", and since "over the dragon bridge" could mean east toward the beach or west into downtown, I was mostly clueless as to where he was living and what type of a place he'd found, so how in the world could a forum newbie living in Mexico make any type of intelligent assessment of that living situation?

There are some people looking to truly LIVE WELL in Vietnam, while others are seeking the cheapest place to SURVIVE.

Those looking to LIVE WELL in Đà Nẵng will be greatly disappointed when they see what ₫5.5 million đồng gets them, especially those who are used to a higher standard of living.

Then again, as I mentioned, basic survival fits the needs of more and more travellers here these days, as long as they can be in the area they like.

To each their own.

I also think that someone moving here from middle class areas in the USA (me) might consider a place to be unsatisfactory, while someone else moving here from a different region and culture might be more than satisfied with what they can find at similar price points.

I know my Vietnamese wife feels we are living in an extravagant mansion, while I'm simply satisfied to have found a good place that meets MY basic needs.

...₫5,500,000 VNĐ here is usually a POS, especially during high season.        -@OceanBeach92107
Okay then, I stand corrected. In my defence I guess I'm spoiled, having always had the help of a local to scout/negotiate rental properties for me.        -@Aidan in HCMC
I  certainly didn't mean to contradict you, my friend...    -@OceanBeach92107

No, no, understood. What I should have said was something like, "Well, alrighty then. Shows just how little Aidan knows of market rental prices" :)

I'm admittedly not a very good one to ask about rental prices in Vietnam, hence my thinking that 5.5 million/month just might be a good deal.

Consider, in Saigon 2017-2019, I rented a two storey two bdrm, two balcony, two bathroom, with air, my own gated private/personal parking, and the last unit in an extremely clean and friendly hem ran me 7.5 million/month, unfurnished.

In Thai Nguyen, 2019-2022, a beautiful(+!) brand new two storey all hardwood home (the floors/walls/ceilings/the works,all polished hardwood), 2 bedrooms, air cons in bedrooms, with ~1/2 acre garden fully surrounded by a 2 metre brick wall, and gated entrance was 2.5 million/month. Again, unfurnished.

Presently here in Phu Quoc, large new(-ish) home built 2017, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, air cons in bedrooms, huge 10 metre high(!) cathedral ceiling in an open-concept livingroom/kitchen area, 3/4 acre fenced lot, solar hot water heater, outside workshop, I rent at 3.5 million/month. Unfurnished.

(I'll add that it's cost me deep in the purse to ship my furniture willy-nilly the length of VN, twice...sigh)

I had mentioned in another thread that none of these units would have even come to my attention had it not been for the help of local Viet friends.

The other key point about prices and quality in Đà Nẵng: this is the heart of high season. The most desirable rental properties have been unavailable since March or April on 6 month leases.

Any place available for 3 to 6 month rental now is almost certainly not as desirable as other places that are leased for the full season.

In general, the types of places available now are the sort of rentals people quickly move on from when something better opens up.

@Luckydratsab

Thank you sire. I much appreciated talking to the agent about a scooter, if I need help she (Carol) has been very helpful to me...

@Aidan in HCMC

Good morning Aiden, thanks for the info, about the banking system.

I am moving as of Sunday into my high rise in the Sontra area, a 10mins walk from the Dragon Bridge, nice area and quite  a bit of ex-pats here

@OceanBeach92107

The other key point about prices and quality in Đà Nẵng: this is the heart of the high season. The most desirable rental properties have been unavailable since March or April on 6-month leases.

~ I was advised to do the 6 months but will extend it I like the Son Tra area and the Dragon Bridge which is very close to me

Any place available for 3 to 6-month rental now is almost certainly not as desirable as other places that are leased for the full season.

~ Understood, I took the agent's advice. I can always extend, also if I need something larger after 6 months, the agent will help.

In general, the types of places available now are the sort of rentals people quickly move on from when something better opens up.

Exactly i was recommended by the Agent after 6 months if I decide to a larger and better place, She will guide me.

@LuckydratsabThank you sire. I much appreciated talking to the agent about a scooter, if I need help she (Carol) has been very helpful to me...        -@eddyjw07

Be aware, Eddy. These agents will assure you everything is fine, hoping to make a sale, and earn a commission from the scooter shop.

"License? No problem! Use your home country license. The police will be okay with that."

This is untrue.

To avoid the possible headaches of being stopped without a valid VN license, get yourself a 50cc scooter. No license required. Just make sure you've got a copy of the bikes blue card, a copy of the current insurance paper, and wear a helmet.

@OceanBeach92107

Hi Ocean it's a High-rise clean see if I can post photos, don't know if I can.

hopefully, his helps

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carol … ?entry=ttu

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for the info she tried to throw a curve at me but never fell for that..

price per day  1,200.000 vnd

per month 2,5000,000 vnd per mth

Learning as I go so taking this all in.

@Aidan in HCMC

Good for you! I very much miss film. I'm assuming you mean 35mm, and not medium or large format. If so, you're in luck! See here. Lazada is a very popular online sales site, and they deliver C.O.D.   Unless you are buying a large ticket item, no prepayment required.

What about developing Aiden...know of any places  ty very much for the info

@Aidan in HCMCThanks for the info she tried to throw a curve at me but never fell for that..price per day  1,200.000 vnd per month 2,5000,000 vnd per mthLearning as I go so taking this all in.        -@eddyjw07

I assume you meant 120,000 VND/day, and 2,500,000 VND/month. Not a bad price for a short term/tourist rental.

I just sold a 2016 Yamaha Sirius 100cc for 3 million.

Take a look at this site for used bikes for sale. They're all "negotiable", price-wise.

See if you can find a 50cc. Unfortunately, the site is entirely in VN, so you might have to enlist the help of a local (the sellers are likely to not speak English) if you see something suitable.

chotot.com, Son Tra, Da Nang area.

edit; ahhh, here you go , and here is for the entire Da Nang area, not just Son Tra.

@Aidan in HCMC

What about developing Aiden...know of any places  ty very much for the info

-@eddyjw07

No, sorry. I've gone over to the "dark-side" (digital:) )

I'm thinking Lazada will sell the developing solution(s), provided you go B&W.

looks like you got it covered from others. i only feel like reminiscing about how i felt at day four, then 3 months, and later 5 years in saigon. didn't know much and didn't learn about this site for maybe 4 years later. But many local people i got help from elsewhere though. It was life changing experience so hang in there. enjoy the beach and be sure to visit the sound of silence cafe neare hoi an. a place i like to return to.

@OceanBeach92107

He states to not mention which side of the Dragon Bridge.

Rents are more expensive on the Beach side while a bit cheaper on the more commercial and more residential side. More choices on the commercial and residential side.

@lifeisgoodok

Have you looked at the map linked in the member's post?

Is that what is called the "beach side"?

@OceanBeach92107
Hi Ocean it's a High-rise clean see if I can post photos, don't know if I can.

hopefully, his helps

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carol … ?entry=ttu-@eddyjw07

(Too much confusion and restatement about what I'd already written in previous posts, so I'll just reply to the OP here):

It's not a terrible place and actually looks decent if the interior photos are accurate.

I can't remember if you mentioned utilities; water & electricity and whether or not it has hot running water...?

Also, are you 100% positive that the landlord is registering your stay with local police? Many inexpensive & independent places don't do that.

The lift (elevator) makes it more liveable (many inexpensive places don't have one).

Your building is setback a few blocks from the river, with only the view of the backsides of riverfront high-rises, accounting in part for the lower rental rate.

In that neighborhood on the west side of the Han River you are MUCH closer to the river than to the beach, and IF you prefer to be within easy walking distance of the Dragon Bridge and the Night Market and riverside businesses & sunset/nighttime views of the city across the river, then it's a good choice and I'm glad you found it.

Even though some call that the "beach side" of the river, the beach isn't quickly or easily accessible from there, especially if you are walking.

Crossing Ngô Quyền/QL14B on a regular basis would simply be too much of an Asian urban traffic experience for me (I did it many times when I lived in An Hải

and we wanted to get to the river for various reasons).

In your earlier post you mentioned wanting to be close to the city center.

You can get there from your place but it will be a regular commute across one of 2 bridges that can become quite congested, just as the approaches to the bridges can become nightmares to navigate at peak times.

Going back to your original inquiry and considering what you've chosen, I'd still recommend that someone with similar preferences take a serious look at the eastern side of the river in Hải Châu 1, Hải Châu District  or north of that in Thạch Thang Ward.

In the end, it's really impossible for us to say whether you could have gotten a better deal since your specific requirements and tolerance of certain conditions is basically unknown to us.

You might be very happy in a place that only costs ₫4,000,000 VNĐ, but I highly doubt that I'd personally go for it.

To each their own 🙏

Cheers!

O.B.

@Aidan in HCMC,

I have not seen any maps.

Eddy is staying in the Son Tra area of Da Nang.

It's a mountainous area northwest area of Da Nang.

It's not your typical Eastside beaches of Da Nang but has smaller beaches.

@Aidan in HCMC,

-@lifeisgoodok

Are you using a laptop/PC?

The map linked in post #15 is this one. Shows okay here on Win10 PC.

@Aidan in HCMC,

-@lifeisgoodok

That's absolutely and (almost) totally WRONG information, made worse because you are attempting to provide guidance even though you "...have not seen any maps".

While it's true that the address is in Sơn Trà district, it is located in the southern part of the district--FAR away from Monkey Mountain--in An Hải Trung ward

(see the red outline in the attached Google Maps screenshot:)

screenshot_20240618_145342_maps196064251094613739.jpg

That's clearly nearest the river and not really close to any types of beaches, especially the small beaches near and around Sơn Trà Mountain/Monkey Mountain.

This is not the first time you've contributed irrelevant information but It's the first time I've seen such bad information from you.

Why not double check the map before contributing?

As far as Sơn Trà beaches are concerned, the strech of open beaches begins at the Mường Thanh Luxury Hotel and continues north along the shore until you reach the base of Sơn Trà mountain.

That stretch includes Mỹ Khê Beach, which  is nothing to sniff at...

screenshot_20240618_170859_maps8629224414719477615.jpg

@Aidan in HCMC,

I see the Carol Da Nang apartment.

It is on the eastside of the river, beachside and also close to the river.

Just walking along the river is very soothing and at some places, something happening.

@lifeisgoodok i am on the beach side..

@Aidan in HCMC,
I see the Carol Da Nang apartment.
It is on the eastside of the river, beachside and also close to the river.
Just walking along the river is very soothing and at some places, something happening.

-@lifeisgoodok

"Beach side" is really a misnomer in this instance, except to possibly point out that the eastern shoreline of the Han River is on the side of the river closer to the beach than the western riverside, which is closer to central Đà Nẵng city.

I know you are attempting to help and your observation is otherwise quite correct.

Some people who want to be closer to riverside activities might be very happy in that area.

Little off topic…

can someone advise on best approach to language if stying in VN for 6 weeks. I presume we must know/use basics . Is there a preferred learning app,  etc?