Shopping centers

In a way I am very sad, what are these big shopping centers in Mahmutlar? I Will certainly not go (my wife sometimes (for books in Russian)).

Mahmutlar is not too big but now 2 modern shopping centers (apart from MMM which is fine)

Yekta Mall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQ6PODjSYI

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5_LEVb2k4

People have to be paid, prices I think are excessive

In my view better to go to local shops and restaurants (I moved (one of the reasons) to avoid these Mall things)

Tourists will come, I am sure, but I do not understand. Shopping can done in home countries.

@cdw057

I agree with your comments.  Here in Minneapolis, we have the Mall of America which is more of an attraction than a place for shopping.  It is known as the largest mall in United States with an indoor amusement park in the center of the mall.  Many visitors to Minneapolis visit the Mall of America as a tourist spot.   It's been roughly 8 years since I visited it last.  In the United States, malls have lost their appeal and most of them are shutting down.  I would say that online shopping has become the more popular shopping experience which I believe is leading to further degradation of our social structure. 

Likewise, in Eskisehir, my destination when I move to Turkey, there is Espark AVM, a massive mall with the prices to go with it.  Last year, I intended to buy a baby attire at Espark so I went to a specialty store and found a cute baby set for which I thought was around $22.  It turned out it wasn't a set but two seperate items placed together and the total cost was $50.  What a waste!  It's particularly excessive for a Turkish wage earner.  It's the mall owner, which is a German company and the owners of the retail shops who are reaping all of the monetary gains.

Like you, I'd much rather shop at independent retail shops in a city shopping district where a lot of people congregate.   

@Gino_C Really a shame these malls are in Turkey (no need in my view (women might like it, but I hate it)).

I buy my cigarettes and alcohol with local shops, for restaurants definitely no western chains (why do people go there I wonder, so wonderful food around)

Honestly I am a bit upset, people moving to Turkey, but they go to Western malls?

A wrong development (not per se on price, but principle)

Supporting local butchers, hairdressers, supermarkets, markets, bread sellers, honest taxi drivers (of course things are missing (for me good sateh sauce, really spicy sauces, fresh juices (Turks seem to love sweet)....)) but in general nothing to complain. The good thing of Turkey is that lamb is widely available and so are some good spices.

Message to expats, please come here, but support local business where you can (and save cash in the process and get quality).