Monthly CAJA payment

I can't seem to connect with anyone about lowering my monthly payment. Removing pension and matrimonio.

I've emailed, got redirected then told my email not accepted.

Calling was just recordings.

My attorney wrote a letter, but no response.

Is there an office that addresses the issue.

I pay 175.000 c

I had to set up rentista closing CDs so it looks like I have more in come than I do. My US pension may be pays for dog food.

Go to a caja administrative office, In Person.  Preferrably... take a lawyer with you, or somebody that speaks excellent spanish so they can translate for you. 

Forget about emails and phone calls.  Show up in person.  90% of Ticos aren't using emails or phone calls... so that kind of correspondence isn't quickly answered; if at all.

There is a caja administrative office in Heredia, San Jose, San Ramon... etc.  Find out where one is near you.

Also... you may want to show a print-out from the SS administration.  I recommend going onto the SS website and open an on-line account   You can find out what your monthly payments will be according to the age you plan to start collecting... print that out so that you have proof that you will have a pension eventually.   You shouldn't have to prove anything... Just tell them you are not interested in having a CR pension plan. 

The matrimony/maternity care part may not be easy for single 'men'...   Because men can 'have' kids until a very late age...  Or get a vasectomy and show them proof, with signatures, from the doctor who provides the procedure.

@Schempf I also made attempts with no success. Lawyers either refuse (honest ones) or take money and do nothing (normal here crooks). We are being robbed paying for something we have nothing to do with. This is "pura vida". The payments depend on your declared income during the Immigration process. How much have you declared?

@rainagain doesn't work.

@Schempf

I can't tell you if 175,000 colones is too much... but I am also 'Rentista' and I pay 127,000...   So that is around 50,000 colones less... which should save you around $100/month.

the original poster did include that the people who were able to save had actually gone, in person, to a Caja administrative office, with a lawyer.  CR still isn't totally electronic...  you have to do some walking.   

@Henrych

what ???

For what it's worth...  On the day that I had to sign up for the caja... I went to the Caja administrative offices in San Ramon to sign up.  I took a lawyer with me because it had been recommended by my Residency service... the lawyer cost me a little more than a hundred dollars.   He (good English) helped me to opt-out of the 'old age pension' portion of the caja... he told me that it saved me around $100/month.  That is it.   I did it... but with his help.  If I had tried on my own, with bad Spanish, it's possible that I wouldn't have succeeded.  Yes... the gov't here wants us all to pay in... it is to their advantage; so they don't make it easy, nor do they make it 'known'.    I knew nothing about the 'maternity' thing at that time... I may try to get that part removed as well; now that I know.

Also... this (below) was posted on this forum by another contributor, awhile back... by ???   I can't remember now...  maybe it was dave... 

But read it if you want to save some money... it could work...

"Last week, a friend and his attorney went to a CAJA office in Heredia to see about opting out of part of the monthly CAJA charges. It turns out that there are actually three coverages for which you may be paying. The first is general health care; the second is maternity care; and the third is the old age pension which most expats will never be eligible to collect.

Since Jim and his wife have aged out of creating a family, and since they will never benefit from the old age pension, their monthly premium was reduced from around $300 per month to around $100."

It sounds like, perhaps, it's worth going to a Caja office (not a clinic) and giving it a try. 

Good luck Schempf.

The above was my contribution. Since then, I've heard from three or four other couples that they have gone to the CAJA administrative office in Heredia and have been able to opt out of the maternity and old age pension portions of their monthly premiums. They had first gone to the CAJA office in Grecia and been turned away.

One couple said they thought a few colones had passed under the table in Heredia but they regarded it as a good investment, if true.  I cannot attest to the truth of that.

@daveandmarcia

Excellent information. 

we appreciate you.

@Schempf

Hi Schempf,  Im sort of in the same situation as you but a little different.  When you applied it seems you may have not added your monthly expenses which they consider.For instance you can add if you have children there expense for school supplys,clothes ect, your elect Bill, water bill, food bill, travel if you work her gas receipts, rent reciets everything and any other bills you can get wil defeinatly help you lower your CCSS.  unfortunately for me Im applied as Temp Dimex extremely expensive and had no choice but to pay until I found oud I should of applied Married status natuaralization which my husband can now add mi to his 20 mil a month insurance once I get approved. I understand your pain they maje us now pay Costa Rica Pension wich I alrady recieve a oensin but cant get out of it unless I change my status to becoming Naturalize.  Also they do not do this via calls or emails you mist go to the office and fill out the forms with all your costs of living reciects!  Good luck my friend hope this hekps!

Isabele

@rainagain

rainagain, unfortunately I also have tried to opt out of the CCSS pension part and we can not since the new President put into law.  But we can all send complai and try to get rid of it if theres enough of us asking. Only thing we can do is show as much cos of living reciepts and they will an have to lower your payment.

good luck and yes you must go to the office with a translator preferably lawyers cost to much :(

@inivin57

Interesting.  I've 'heard' other things about the new President that raised my eyebrows....  But the Ticos seem to like him so far... not sure why.  They seemed to have hated Alvarado (previous Prez) ...  who seemed to have a rather modern and forward thinking 'vision' for CR...  perhaps too smart, too educated, too handsome, and a wife who actually was employed and educated as well...  he brought the tech industry to the central valley...   making it somewhat known as the silicon valley of central America...  but I'm guessing that doesn't mean much to an agricultural worker who only went as far as the 5th grade.  CR is bursting with dichotomies; so baby steps ??

Perhaps everybody should try the same caja admins office in Heredia until somebody screams.   But the pension part of the caja system when it comes to 'older' expats who are here for retirement...  is a scam for sure... if you start paying in at age 67... you won't be able to collect until age 87.   ????????

Perhaps those with 'citizenship' should be the ones to speak up because they can. ??   Not sure how it all works. 

But the maternity part should be a no brainer...  I wonder what their excuse is for that one????

I should also add.. What was the new President doing when he went into the Caja system to look at what the expats pay???   Everybody in CR already knows that Expats pay far far more than the average Tico.  Was he looking for an 'easy' way to bolster the system by adding 'gringo pricing' even to the Caja? 

Perhaps he should spend his time considering how to 'grow' the economy... and not pick the pockets of foreigners.

Also... perhaps he can aim some attention at the growing 'single mom' culture here... like, go after all the dead beat dads... who find it so so so easy to just disappear without leaving the country.  they move to the other end of their canton, go by another name, and father more kids... and then leave that woman for another one somewhere.   

Also... I'm in western San Carlos canton... rich rich rich farmers.  All of whom pay diddly squat to their illegal laborers.  Most of whom, are from Nicaragua, and do back-breaking hard work in the hot sun and pouring rain so that the farmer's kids can study in the States, their wives and mistresses wear super nice clothes and go to Mexico City on monthly shopping sprees, and spend thier down time bossing around a crew of housekeepers; and of course... they all drive Rangerovers, Lexus, BMWs, or $70K pickup trucks.  Everybody knows that they pay nothing into wage taxes nor provide 'seguro' to their workers...  who does the 'new' President think is doing all the work on those farms???   

All one needs to do is drive around the area and you'll see dozens of 'heads' in the fields... they belong to humans.

I honestly think that this 'new' President (always surrounded by a group of loyalists with the cold, emotionless faces of those you would see standing behind communists and dictators) has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to foreigners from North America and Europe.  The person who he ultimately ran against in the final election had, as part of his platform, making CR into an officially bilingual nation.  Smart.  Kind of like Holland?  Or Singapore?  Or Israel?   

The world is getting smaller, Mr. President, and holding tight to your 3rd-rate tamales, cheap guaro, and keeping the 'lighter' skinned people at the top isn't going to advance CR into the future without sacrificing perhaps, CR's independence and neutrality.   That's what happens when the under and uneducated control who gets elected... sounds eerily familiar, doesn't it????

@inivin57 I tried with both, first myself (I speak a decent Spanish) and then wirh the crooked lawyer. Nope. They sent me the law that is so vague (like the most of their "pura vida" laws) that they can easily interpret it against us, golden geese. You can wait till your residence expires and switch to the border runs if you wish...or keep paying. Good luck.

@rainagain

Thnx for your reply.

@rainagain

Thanks again, I just saw this one. I was told by CRIE to cancel in Nicoya and try SJ office. Long trip, I will talk to a "gringo helping" attrny. here to see if he has experience with it.

@Schempf

For what it's worth... I went to the Caja administrative offices in San Ramon... also, with a gringo-friendly 'fixer' who seemed to know the system... San Ramon office was smaller, friendlier, short lines.  Hope you get some 'luck'.

@Henrych

Where was the Caja office located that wasn't helpful?

@inivin57

Hey Fine folks out here in beautiful CR

Just a Heads Up!  Please pay your Caja I was not able to renew unless I paid for it!

so now Im stuck paying 6months worth and no lawyers will be able to opt you out unless you are Naturalized! :( well thx for everyone input God-Speed

not sure what that sic?

Mike

ment to say caja ?

@slausonbeanco

sorry I meant I wasnt able to opt out of the CR CCSS and retirement fund which is mandated when you apply for any type of residency except a marriage based visa to a CR citizen you can then apply for naturalization which they wont make you pay for CCSS (Universal Insurance + Pension) yet you can buy a much better healthcare Insurance and not pay for pension/cr retirement plan.

@daveandmarcia

how did they opt out of maternity and the pension?

ive showed them my SSA amout I make yet still are charging me for pension when Im already going to get it at age 63 yr but they seem not to care! Im 51 should I get a note from Doctor re: maternity?

Im headed there to renew with all types of reciepts.

monthly grocery bills

rent

water bill

electricity…. is there any else any else has given to them to lower?

kids expenses school

thanks inivin57,

Im a new B from Florida considering the move.  What is the % due and what do the base that on ?

Mike

@slausonbeanco

your salary work,retirement,  SSDI, SSI all depends how much you make they take a percentage out for their CCSS insurance.(mandatory) if of course you want to be resident.

Also, depends what kind of visa migratIon you'll want to apply for.  Heres the site. good luck

migración.go.cr

Hi,

so does that included social security payments ?

@slausonbeanco  Yes, they will ask for your statement.

my lawyer said to collect all and any receipts I can to try a lower the amount they will charge me.

rent,  light, water if you have children get receipts of their expenses ect.

if youre on SSDI might as well stop paying medicare since youll have to use that money to pay the Caja CCSS here.  They are also making us pay pension even though we already have when we turn 63,  supposedly theyll give us pension here at age 67 but again depends if your file for residency.

Slausonbeanco...  You have to decide what type of residency you want to apply for... that 'type' of residency will most likely determine the price of your Caja payments.

Example:  I you are going to use your pension to become a Pensionista Resident... your caja payment will be based on your monthly pension.  If you receive $3200/month...  your caja payment is based on that. If your pension is only $1300/month your caja payment will be far less.  Also... you don't have to tell the CR gov't about any of your other investment or retirement funds... only show them the 'lowest' guaranteed, life-long, monthly... weather it is a gov't pension or a private... as long as it is over $1000/month (the current minimum).

I was able opt-out of having to pay for the CR pension portion of the caja because I took a lawyer with me when I applied for Caja membership.  He told the representative that I would be getting a pension from the US gov't.  My residency at the time (5 years ago) was 'Rentista'... which meant that I had to guarantee with a bank letter, that I had $60K in a bank to cover me for 2 years here.. thus, $30K per year or $2500 per month... thus, my caja payment was considered to be 10% of my income... or $250/month.   My pension monthly is now less... so perhaps I can show them that I am no longer getting $2500/ month and get a lowered rate.  I don't know if they still allow people to opt out of pension and maternity parts of the caja... the current President hates Americans and wants to milk us for every cent.  The pension thing sucks because they make you pay for at least 20 years before you can 'collect'...  so if you start paying at 70... you won't collect until you make it ??  to 90.

Very good idea to bring receipts for All monthly expenses (and even annual expenses.. like real estate taxes)... they add up and it can make a difference especially if you 'show' a guaranteed monthly income that is low.

Good luck.   

@rainagain what you are suggesting has been attempted just to receive the description of obsure laws that they rely on. It doesn't work. Ill am married to a tica, so ill just quit this caja scam whatsoever. You can add anothe gran or so and get the private insurance.

Yes Im now in the process of changing from Dimex Temp Volunteer to Naturalize since am also married to a Costa Rican. Then I dont need this mandatory ins.  thx have a great day everyone

@Henrych

it was my understanding that you are forced to pay Caja whether you have private insurance or not, tho lawyers will get you out of paying certain parts of it like maternity. It's unclear what you're saying.

@inivin57

it's been my observation that the main way to protect yourself and get the best deals possible is by hiring a lawyer and doing it right. And just like in the US it needs to be a good, highly recommended attorney and you have to be willing to spend the money. Good local lawyers can make a lot of things happen.

What happens if you come down with a substantial salary in American dollars because you're too young to retire? Is there a limit to how much CAJA you would pay? It's my understanding we don't have to do this until we become more than a temporary resident, but perhaps I misunderstood. And, perhaps by then I will be able to retire anyway. Does anybody know if there's a limit to the CAJA payments? My job is remote and I can work from anywhere in the world and Costa Rica is in the same time zone as my current location so it works out well and by CR standards it would be a lot of money. But if Caja is some very large percentage of your income no matter how high your income, that would seem unfair. Especially since I really don't plan on using it for the most part. I'm in excellent health and have no interest in going to doctors and cannot take medications at all due to a physical condition, so I do my own doctoring by doing tons of research, eating in the best manner for me, listening to my body, ensuring I have the right supplementation needed (though Costa Rica food is so healthy if you eat like a native most of the healthy food stuff is just automatic) thereby allowing you to stay very healthy (eating right exercising blah blah blah). And my hope would be to have private insurance (it's a belt and suspenders thing, highly unnecessary no doubt) which I believe my employer will supply for as long as I'm working there. I might have to go out and get it myself but they will pay for it: they might even offer it there – I'm not sure because we're an international company providing insurance to people all over the world already. so while I certainly don't object to contributing to the national healthcare system regardless of whether I'm going to use it I certainly don't think I should be charged thousands and thousands of dollars -- that seems irrational.

inmigración.go.cr   

I feel the same way but it depends on your status here in CR. Good luck

I have read many, many times that Caja is based on your income, and the Inversionista residency is the highest category  in regards to  Caja payments.  I cannot speak for anyone else's experience but ours has been very positive.  We joined ten years ago and that same year I read of another Canadian couple that were not going to pursue their residency application because their monthly Caja payment was quoted to be $700+.

We did everything on our own including registering for Caja.  We are Inversionistas.  On my application I listed my projected monthly income and expense.  For income you only have to list what you are guaranteed to receive.  At that time  my only guaranteed source of income was a life income fund and my monthly Canadian Pension.  I was not required to list other incomes such as savings or de-registration of any RRSP's.  On paper I looked very poor and listed my projected monthly expenses.  Our combined Caja payments were $50 USD and that is for two of us.  I had to submit this claim every time we renewed our Cedulas.  We presently pay ~$57 USD per month and most of the $7 difference is due to the currency exchange.

@daveandmarcia
how did they opt out of maternity and the pension?

-@inivin57

Sorry, but I cannot help with those details other than to report that the folks whom I know who were able to opt out of the maternity and old age pension benefits were represented by a knowledgeable and experienced Costa Rican attorney and they got this taken care of at the CAJA office (not the EBAIS) in Heredia.

foxtrotnebulaOg, there are three classes of temporary legal residency for one of which everyone must qualify unless they plan to leave the country every 180 days in order to qualify for a new tourist visa. That's called being a "perpetual tourist". Problem is, any tourist (perpetual or otherwise) can be denied entry or re-entry to Costa Rica by any Immigration officer and his or her decision cannot be appealed.

Pensionado temporary legal residency requires a modest application package that includes proof of a minimum monthly income of $1,000US that is guaranteed for life. Most folks meet that requirement by being on U.S. Social Security (but not SSDI). Other governmental pensions likely meet the requirement as do some, but not all, private lifetime annuities and private sector pensions.

Rentistatemporary legal residency requires proof of at least $2,500US per month as well as the other documentation.

Invertista(sp?) temporary legal residency requires the investment of a large sum of money in the Costa Rican economy. Typically, folks qualify this way by buying or building an expensive home or in some other way. The same documentation is required as for the other two legal residency categories.

@daveandmarcia

thank you! Do you know if the 19% applies to any amount of income or only to a certain level? In the United States for example people who make more than a certain amount of money don't simply pay the same percentage towards SSI because it's unfair to demand they pay millions of dollars a year for it when everybody else is paying maybe 100 or 200 a month. And everybody's getting a similar benefit because no matter how rich you are you're never going to get more than about $3500 in SS right now. That is the rationale, since they're only going to be getting $3500 a month out of it. I wondered how that worked in CR because my income is going to be considerable until I retire, so I will have to be a rentista for several more years. and paying 19% of a six digit income is excessive for medical care I'm unlikely to take advantage of anytime in the near future because my company will be covering medical care for me on a private plan. Do you know anything about that?

@TerrynViv

unfortunately it sounds like I'm gonna be in the position of your Canadian friends that's really bad news

@foxtrotnebula0g OMG I hope not!

I'll find out Monday and will definitely let you know.

Isa