Menu
Expat.com

Working remotely under husband's resident's visa - Qatar

Last activity 30 July 2024 by XTang

komal1989

Hi,

My husband has moved to Qatar and has a resident visa issued by his employer. I work remotely for a UK company and am looking to make a move to Qatar to join my husband later in the summer. His company will cover our family residency visa.

Whilst my existing employer allows a work from anywhere policy, they believe I will require a work permit issued in Qatar to be legally allowed to work. In order for a work permit to be issued, they must have a local Qatari presence i.e. a Qatari entity.

Can anyone please validate the above? Neither my current employer or me will be conducting or have business interest in Qatar however my employer believes they cannot support the move as a work permit is a legal requirement.

I need to provide them with verified advice to the contrary if this is not the case but I'm not sure where to start.

Any advice appreciated.

nasre

@komal1989

Hello

Your husband can apply for a family visa. Your Resident Permit will be  processed under the husband's sponsorship immediately upon your arrival in Doha ( after fulfilling) the Medical and immigration standard requirements.

It's simple and straight  forward process which can be completed within two months.

There are other options to be considered just in case.

For further details, please feel free to contact me at ***

Thank you.

Nasr

Moderated by Cheryl 2 months ago
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Cheryl

Hello nasre,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f600.svg

No contact details should be shared on the forum for security reasons.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

XTang

You and your employer are looking at this the wrong way.

In ALL of the GCC, you need a work permit IF you are working for an entity that is based in that country.   If you are working remotely for an offshore employer, you don't need a work permit.   Or in other words, authorization to work IN THE COUNTRY, is for employers IN THE COUNTRY.   So legally, there is NO issue.

The issue that may happen is if your employer transfers your salary to your Qatari bank account.  Banks may create problems in asking you to justify the source of the funds.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Qatar

• Work visas for Qatar
    Work visas for Qatar

To work in Qatar, it is compulsory to be in possession of a valid residence permit and a work visa. Administrative ...

• Visas for Qatar
    Visas for Qatar

To travel to Qatar, you will need a visa throughout the duration of your stay. There are different types of visas ...

• Getting married in Qatar
    Getting married in Qatar

Getting married in Qatar could be a hassle for newbies. However, knowing the right procedure and information can ...

• Dating in Qatar
    Dating in Qatar

Dating in Qatar is influenced by cultural and societal norms, as Qatar is a conservative Muslim country. Dating ...

• Living as a woman in Qatar
    Living as a woman in Qatar

Living as a woman in Qatar can be a rewarding experience. The country is a rapidly developing nation with a strong ...

• Internet in Qatar
    Internet in Qatar

Qatar has a well-developed and reliable internet infrastructure, providing residents and visitors with access to ...

• Moving to Qatar with your family
    Moving to Qatar with your family

Moving to Qatar with your family can be an exciting adventure. Here are some considerations and tips to make the ...

• Working in Doha
    Working in Doha

Over the years, Qatar has fully developed its economy, which today attracts expatriates from around the world. ...

All of Qatar's guide articles