Menu
Expat.com

paying with Epay/Wise

Last activity 05 July 2024 by roywebb58

TonyFF

Please advise how do you use Wise card on Epay.bg

Is it like using a debit card? What is the cheapest way to pay money to someone's account ?

Is there any other low cost way to pay bills without a Bulgarian bank account?

Thanks!

janemulberry

I use my Wise card with epay, it works like a debit card. One thing to note - epay won't work to make bill payments if you have auto-translate turned on, the site must be in Bulgarian.

I understand that to make payments to other individuals using epay it's necessary to register for a level 2 account. This needs a Bulgarian mobile phone number, so I haven't done that yet. 

The one time I sent money to an individual's Bulgarian bank account, I did a direct bank transfer to their account using Wise. I don't know what fees they had to pay their bank, but Wise charged only 1.01 BGN to send 1000 BGN.

TonyFF

@janemulberry

thank you smile.png

cyberescue1

I've sent money direct from my Wise account to Bulgarian individuals and businesses.  Depending on the recipient's bank, they will receive it in around 8 hours if sent in the morning, or the next day, if sent in the afternoon.

I can't say I've used the epay site or app, seems a little confusing

The last time I tried to to pay a water bill, it wouldn't take the payment.

Instead we just walk 50 metres to our nearest Easy Pay office and pay in cash for all our utility bills.

janemulberry

Epay won't do my water, and Easy Pay (same company) won't either. Apparently my water number is correct, but one digit too short to work in their system. I can only pay that either at the VIK or the Post Office.

The thing I like about epay is that once I have a recurring bill set up there, they notify me when a payment is due and in two minutes I can have it paid! It's working great for my electricity bill.

But it was quite tricky getting things set up, and Chrome's auto-translate messes with it, too. I can only make payments by turning auto-translate off.

Wise is excellent for making payments, either on epay, sending money directly to bank accounts, or shopping.

PlovdivEd

@janemulberry Have you tried adding a zero to the front to the number? We have 2 accounts and both can be paid on epay, one has 10 digits and the other 11 but both start with a zero.

janemulberry

I think I did try that, but I'll give it another go. Mine has 9 digits, a lot of zeros in the middle but none to start.

TonyFF

I was able to do all transactions I needed to do with WISE: transfer money to a Bulgarian account, shop with the card, transfer money from my bank account to WISE ( it happened instantly ). I am ditching the credit card and I will be using WISE from now on- it is better/cheaper. Despite that WISE has raised the fees recently  it is still a deal. I have ability to withdraw $ 200/month free( the Bulgarian bank charges me 9-10 cents per transaction!!!)

We are ripped off in America. I cannot tell you how much my US bank will charge me if I do this direct.

I am sure this is the same in the UK, Australia etc.

Very thankful to this community that introduced me to WISE.

roywebb58

@TonyFF

Also set up correctly you get interest on your balance I get over 200 pounds a year

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles